Ink Review - Diamine Oxblood

Diamine Oxblood is a relatively new ink from Diamine, and it has quickly become a very popular one. I finally got a sample, to see for myself what this ink was all about. It certainly lived up to its expectations! For me personally, I prefer a different red color, but I know this one deserves the popularity it has gotten. It is a lovely color.

Ink Review: Diamine Oxblood

Pen and nib: Lamy 2000 - B nib

Color: Deep burgundy, brown, red. It is named very appropriately! Many people call the color "wine".

Dry time: 20+ seconds. That is not fast... Do factor in that this is a VERY free flowing ink.

Smear when dry: NO

Lubrication: Average. It's a bit more watery than thick. I usually prefer this, as it makes inks easier to clean.

Shading: Low to moderate. Not a lot of shading, and probably none in a XF/F nib. I'll have to test that though...

Feathering: None!

Bleed through: Moderate. - Just a little, but not at all bothersome.

Notes: A very interesting ink to be certain. I like it, but I don't love it. I just usually prefer a more vibrant, brighter red. It is a very elegant and understated color, and is lovely when paired with some good off-white paper!

And there you have it - Diamine Oxblood. I think the ink is great! I don't want a bottle personally, but there are many who absolutely love this ink. And I can see why.

I hope you've enjoyed this review. Please, do leave me a comment and let me know your thoughts on both the ink, and the review. Your feedback is always appreciated!

Best Regards,

Tyler Dahl

Edited by 777

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fabrimedeiros

• gmrza

• nm4

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the objectlive review. You DO need a botlle, though. I could not survive without Oxblood or Syrah.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

My Pelikan with BB CI nib that you ground and tuned filled with this ink is my go to fun combo.

Tyler,

Thanks for the great review. I don't own a bottle (not much use for red ink) but did try a sample from the Goulets...it is an awesome ink: an unusual color and very wet. Your review is very accurate.

Cheers,

NM

nice review, thanks

i didnt really think i would have much use for a red ink, either, but it's just so intense, and dark red---a great color--mostly well behaved, a little slow to dry, no shading, but i dont think that's the point of this ink

it really stands out in the journal, and it has become my---"hey, i'm tryin to make a point, here" ink at work

definitely a keeper

Thanks for the objectlive review. You DO need a botlle, though. I could not survive without Oxblood or Syrah.

Now syrah, is another story. I might, well, probably will...

I do need a bottle of Syrah. :)

But Oxblood is a bit too brownish for me. It's a fantastic color, but I'm hoping Diamine Red Dragon will be the red I've been looking for.

My Pelikan with BB CI nib that you ground and tuned filled with this ink is my go to fun combo.

Sounds like a sweet combination! This ink really deserves larger nibs, to show of it's full color and shading.

Tyler,

Thanks for the great review. I don't own a bottle (not much use for red ink) but did try a sample from the Goulets...it is an awesome ink: an unusual color and very wet. Your review is very accurate.

Cheers,

NM

Thank you for the kind words! I also got my sample from the Goulets.

It is a very unusual color, at least in my eyes. I'm glad you think my review is accurate. I was afraid, because of how popular this ink is, that I would be stoned for posting up a "non-10/10" review.

But you guys are always kind to me. :)

nice review, thanks

i didnt really think i would have much use for a red ink, either, but it's just so intense, and dark red---a great color--mostly well behaved, a little slow to dry, no shading, but i dont think that's the point of this ink

it really stands out in the journal, and it has become my---"hey, i'm tryin to make a point, here" ink at work

definitely a keeper

I was just slightly disappointed when I first wrote with it. When it first appeared on the page it was a deep, vibrant, lovely red color, that looked like... Well, fresh blood.

After drying, it aged to a very nice reddish brown color.

Nothing wrong with the color it is, but if Diamine makes an ink that looks this one, when wet - I'll take a case of it!

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

Dear Tyler,

Thanks for the review! Oxblood is one of my favorite inks: now, I'm using it into my Visconti Opera Master Demo 1.3 stub. They mach perfectly, like they were made to each other. I'm in the pens heaven. :cloud9:

Oxblood is what I'm using as my new Brown. It kicked out my Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Brown. There are red tones, but mostly if a swab is used. I do like it, but wish it were a BIT more red.

It is easier to stay out than get out. - Mark Twain

I received Diamine Oxblood yesterday in a shipment that arrived from Goulet. The box also contained Diamine Green-Black, Diamine Chocolate Brown, Diamine Sepia, and Herbin Cacao du Bresil. The Oxblood was the definite standout of the lot -- very strong, with perfect flow and no shading in my Safari EF, which is what I prefer with fine nibs. I also see no feathering with moderate ghosting through. It's just the right balance between purple and brown, IMO. I feel no need to look further in the burgundy category; this one nails it.

Oxblood is what I'm using as my new Brown. It kicked out my Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Brown. There are red tones, but mostly if a swab is used. I do like it, but wish it were a BIT more red.

I wish it were more reddish too! And mine doesn't shade as I was thinking (like I saw on the reviews here). There is almost no shading in fact. I love that ink, though.

This is my 2nd 80ml Oxblood bottle, and it arrived yesterday with a 80ml Syrah bottle, straight from Diamine, England. Their prices are the best, if we compare with Diamine dealers around world. The shipment is cheap too. Furthermore, Diamine send me almost 20 cartridges (assorted colors) for free!

I wish it were more reddish too! And mine doesn't shade as I was thinking (like I saw on the reviews here). There is almost no shading in fact. I love that ink, though.

For that reason I opted for Red Dragon rather than Oxblood.

For that reason I opted for Red Dragon rather than Oxblood.

Nice tip! I'll try a 30ml bottle in the next order.

Edited: I want an ink that looks like real blood (arterial or venous)!

Edited by fabrimedeiros

Nice tip! I'll try a 30ml bottle in the next order.

Edited: I want an ink that looks like real blood (arterial or venous)!

Hopefully the image below will give some idea by way of comparison.

fpn_1318302838__20111011-img_4532.jpg

The samples were all written with a Waterman Expert (M) on a Spirax 595 notebook (cheap and nasty paper). White balance was taken off the paper. Unfortunately my wife has the white balance card out with her on a job today... The intent of the exercise with these writing samples was to determine feathering and bleed-through of various inks on cheap paper. As you can see, Oxblood and Syrah feather more than Monaco Red and Red Dragon. Monaco Red is one of those inks that is very resistant to feathering, but it will not satisfy your requirement for a "blood-coloured" ink. Syrah is definitely more of a "red wine" colour.