Gate City Dunn Filler

stevlight

Gate City Dunn Filler

Medium Steel Nib

So I was at the Washington pen show watching Richard Binder work {one of my favorite things to do} When Richard pulled out the prototype for his newest Gate City Pen, The New Dunn Filler! I was really drawn to the red button on the end and loved the clip and flat top. When Richard demonstrated how to fill it I was very intrigued. I asked how long I had to wait for one of these babies. Richard said November BUT a few weeks later a Pre-production pen arrived in the mail. Richard asked that I use it for a month and post a review and that he DID NOT want to read the review first! I have used this pen since September 10th when I received it. It has been in my pocket everyday going to my Pre-K classroom taking notes on 4 yr. olds, filling out forms etc. It has preformed amazingly. Anyway the review. Here goes:

Appearance & Design (10) - Classic styling--old vintage charm in a modern pen. Love the clip. It looks great and works great. Good quality plastic held up well to the rigors of the classroom. I love the red button on the end--just looks cool. I love that there is no step in the barrel. That the cap comes off with a little less then two turns. That it posts well. All things I look for in a pen to be comfortable to me when using especially in the classroom taking quick notes.

Construction & Quality (10) - This pen feels solid. Well built. Worth every penny.

Weight & Dimensions (10) - I love the size and weight of this pen. It has the feel of a M800--girth and weight. This is a very comfy pen even for my big hands.

Nib & Performance (10) - Medium steel nib. Not my preference to draw with but this nib is so smooth and lays down such a nice line-- it is amazing. When you get a steel nib and it is "Binderized" it is just flawless. There is no line variation so this was not used to draw with by me--the main usage of my fountain pens --but I did write alot with this pen and it performed flawlessly--such a pleasure to write with. I will probably order a flex gold nib for this or a Binder Music nib to draw with. I do not own a Music nib and it would be so cool to have a special nib on such a special pen. I used Platinum Carbon Black ink in this pen and it worked great--alot of pushing and pulling to flush but it got there! I now have Sheaffer black in it because I ran out in the classroom and that is what I had--I have to say, the pen loves the Sheaffer ink even more then the PCB!!

Filling System & Maintenance (10) -This is the "WOW" factor or "COOL" factor. It is a working modern Dunn filler!!!! The first fill I did wrong by having the plunger pulled out then putting it in the ink. The pen fills on the pull stroke so have the nib covered in ink THEN pull the plunger then push back in--you can do this a few times till no bubbles come out--then you know the pen is filled. It holds a nice amount of ink. I would love an ink view window but there is a "tattler" version that should solve that problem--and be very cool!!

Cost & Value (10) - I do not know the actual price but it should be priced similar to the other Gate City Pens witch for this great pen is a bargain!

Conclusion (Final score [60]- I love this pen! I would recommend it to anyone. I will be getting one with a nib that I will like to draw with but if you are writing you can not beat a steel "Binderized" nib from Richard. I love the vintage inspired designs and filling systems coming from the Gate City Pen Company. Lots of fun!

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6010/6209164410_7f9d4fec99.jpg

DSC03519 by stevlight, on Flickr

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6091/6209164718_48c1f5a391.jpg

DSC03520 by stevlight, on Flickr

Compared to the M805, New Dunn Filler, Mont Blanc 149--this is NOT a small pen!!

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6128/6208650337_a2ded262d5.jpg

DSC03521 by stevlight, on Flickr

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6230/6208650615_93bcb1ed4b.jpg

DSC03522 by stevlight, on Flickr

Edited by stevlight

www.stevelightart.com

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stevlight

• Dave Johannsen

• Lloyd

• WillSW

I have used this pen since September 10th when I received it. It has been in my pocket everyday going to my Pre-K classroom taking notes on 4 yr. olds,...

What ink are you using on these little kids? You really should use the pen on paper.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

What ink are you using on these little kids? You really should use the pen on paper.

I have cheap chinese school fountain pens the kids lose--later in the year with Sheaffer black ink. I have used PCB and Sheaffer ink in the New Dunn as stated above.

OH JUST GOT THAT THIS WAS A JOKE!! LOL

Edited by stevlight

www.stevelightart.com

great review of a great pen. now i'm asking myself: this, a snorkel or a Balance? :hmm1:

-Eclipse Flat Top-|-Parker "51" Aero-|-Sheaffer's Snorkel Sentinel-|-Esterbrook SJ-|-Sheaffer Imperial II Deluxe TD-|-Sheaffer 330-|-Reform 1745-|-PenUsa Genesis-|-Hero 616-|-Noodler's Flex-|-Schneider Voice-|-TWSBI Vac 700-

Love the ink splatter in the photos.

Thanks--I will share some of this work soon!

www.stevelightart.com

• 3 weeks later...

I've been looking for pictures and size comparisons of this pen ever since Richard let the cat out of the bag. I was shopping around for something in the Souveran M800 size, a long range writer if you will. The Pilot 823 was at the top of my list but the nibs run narrower than what I would like in Broad.

This definitely has me interested and I can already hear my wallet cringing.

• 2 weeks later...

pretty cool pen :thumbup: looks like a duofold

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

A great looking pen indeed.!!

Pilot Vanishing Point Royal Red

Sailor Professional Gear - Sailor Jentle Grenade

Kaweco AC Sport Red Limited Edition - Kaweco Red

Sheaffer Prelude Chrome - Private Reserve Sherwood Green

TWSBI Diamond 540 - Sheaffer Purple

Sheaffer 300 - Private Reserve Orange Crush

I'm getting one of these as soon as it's available. Love this style pen!!! :cloud9:

Kushbaby

I like eating peanuts with chopsticks...

This is a great, classic looking pen. I can't wait for it to come out.

This might be the first *Major* pen purchase. Anybody know when it is coming out?

Thanks for posting!

EDIT: Well, It's out now! Whoo!

Edited by Muncle

Filling System & Maintenance (10)

Cork plunger seals (like the original) or something more exotic (that may last longer)? I know that many restorers are now fixing, for example, Waterman's safety pens using synthetic materials for the seals and I am wondering what material this pen uses for the plunger (presumably it is a modern seal material at the end of the barrel?). Since the Dunn doesn't develop a perfect plunger seal (neither the original nor apparently this modern version, hence several plunges to fill it) I am wondering if the modern version is also using cork seals... Dunno? (and don't know if it really makes a difference in the expected lifespan of the seals - maybe cork is more robust and resistant to drying out than I am giving it credit for being) Anyway, for those of us who collect vintage but use modern, this pen seems very appealing. Well done, Richard.

Dave

Steve--nice getting together last night for the inaugural pen club get-together here in NYC. Great review and it was awesome that you had it with you last night, especially since it's now available on Richard's site as of today. See you 12/1. Mike

I handled both models (or rather colors) at the Ohio Pen Show today, and quite frankly, I was disappointed.

I had been looking forward to buying one based on the preliminary materials I had read. While I liked the large size, to me they felt extraordinarily light and insubstantial, which is a polite way of saying that to me they felt cheap. Operating the pump mechanism only accentuated that feeling.

I'm no expert and could be way off. I like Richard and his work, and have bought pens from him before. This just won't be one that I'll be trying. I feel lucky that I was able to handle one before buying. It saved me an expensive mistake.

Just my opinion - and perhaps worth what you've paid for it.

felt extraordinarily light and insubstantial,

Perhaps because (if the modern model is anything like the vintage) almost all parts of the pen are hard rubber (except the nib and pocket clip)?

Dave

I handled both models (or rather colors) at the Ohio Pen Show today, and quite frankly, I was disappointed.

I had been looking forward to buying one based on the preliminary materials I had read. While I liked the large size, to me they felt extraordinarily light and insubstantial, which is a polite way of saying that to me they felt cheap. Operating the pump mechanism only accentuated that feeling.

I handled the two New Dunns, a Belmont, a Postal, and the Coronas at Howard Levy's table. None of them felt "cheap," and they seemed to be quite well-constructed.

I guess tastes just differ.