Visconti Divina Desert Falls (Non-Le)

Lothianjavert

I have been enamored with Visconti's Divina pens for a while. I didn't realize how comfortable they were to hold until I got to hold one at the DC Pen Show. It immediately went on my "must have" list, but even the used versions of the L.E. Desert Springs were out of my price range. Then Bryant posted on FPN of a non-LE version that had a different filling system (no ink window) but was out of the same celluloid, and at a price I could just manage! I contacted him last Sunday about the pen, and it was on its way Monday morning. It arrived on Wed., but I work late, so I received it on Thursday ( I sent my husband to fetch it from the post office as he was off that day.) I spent Thursday night playing with it, with glee. Even my husband gave it a try, and it is now his favorite of my pens.

I did a quick handwritten review and took a couple shots of the pen today. The pictures don't do it justice, it really is a gorgeous pen!

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/1134/viscontidesertfallsrevi.jpg

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/1134/viscontidesertfallsrevi.jpg

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/6041/viscontidivinadesertfaln.jpg

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/6670/viscontidivinadesertfal.jpg

http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/6670/viscontidivinadesertfal.jpg

http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/3097/viscontidivinacloseup.jpg

Overall, I'd give it a 9/10. An ink-view window would be nice, as would a bit more ink capacity, though it did quite well and I didn't need to refill it at work. The workmanship is nice, the celluloid (I think it is celluloid, but I'm not sure) is absolutely stunning, the fit and finish is very nice, and it is a joy to write with. Right now, I'm using PR Chocolat as the ink for this pen. It just seems to go with it rather nicely. This is a nice pen for the price. My first Visconti! (and first truly new good fountain pen)

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ghost Plane

• Yuki Onitsura

• HBlaine

• jaymac

Great review, thanks for sharing it with us. I've always been interested in this series, just can't figure out which one to buy. I do like your celluloid...I have to keep an eye on the classifieds.

Use it in good health.

cheers

Wael

PS. I like the sketch of the nib.

“Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis”

Wait 'til you get a chance at a black Divinia Maxi and can sit and turn it constantly to watch the silver strips... :cloud9:

Wait 'til you get a chance at a black Divinia Maxi and can sit and turn it constantly to watch the silver strips... :cloud9:

Stop that! (or adopt me!)

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

Only the Persian Diversion gets to play with my pens. The rest of you must be led into temptation the same way I was. :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01:

Edited by Ghost Plane

I took advantage of the same deal, and picked up one of these absolute beauties. Actually the first new pen I've ever requested with a broad nib. I've got mine filled with Parker Black Quink, and it lays down a marvelously expressive line.

Bryant is a great guy, and has enabled my pen addiction with some truly great pens.

Glad you're enjoying yours. :thumbup:

"Here was a man who had said, with his wan smile, that once he realized that he would never be a protagonist, he decided to become, instead, an intelligent spectator, for there was no point in writing without serious motivation." - Casaubon referring to Belbo, Foucault's Pendulum.

Count me as another who picked up one of these pens from Bryant. I did get the 1.3 mm stub and it's actually quite delightful. Like lothianjavert, my co-workers thought the pen was something else. I'm still getting used to the magnetic cap but, all in all, I'm really happy with this pen.

Colour is its own reward - N. Finn

Bryant is an awesome enabler! He patiently answered a heap of questions from me this spring about the Delta Dolcevita, but I wasn't ready to buy at that time. So, when I was ready for a Visconti after having a chance to feel what was comfortable, I knew where I was going to go for my purchase! I'll definitely buy from Bryant again.

I know the .9 stub is about as wide as I can fit easily on the spaces of the log at work, and with a 1.1 on the way, I was afraid to go for a 1.3, but I figured the M could be ground to a nice smaller stub at some point if I want, and until then would be functional at work.

Only the Persian Diversion gets to play with my pens. The rest of you must be led into temptation the same way I was. :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01:

I'll bite. Who/what is the Persian Diversion? First guess is a feline?????

Since GP hasn't been around to reply, I'll take the liberty of telling that the Persian Diversion is a nickname for her significant other.

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

Since GP hasn't been around to reply, I'll take the liberty of telling that the Persian Diversion is a nickname for her significant other.

Sorry for the off topic, but that sure beats a feline - for you and your pens.

He's a left handed overwriter with a fondness for IB, OB & stub nibs. I have to credit IANAN, a former moderator, for the call sign.

The celluloid really stops you in your tracks.

Question: how is the cap locking system working in real life?

gary

Speaking only from my own experience, it works very well. It allows you to quickly cap/upcap the pen with minimal muss/fuss.

I've used it on both this model, and on the Homo Sapiens, and it works quite well. The cap is quite secure when on.

"Here was a man who had said, with his wan smile, that once he realized that he would never be a protagonist, he decided to become, instead, an intelligent spectator, for there was no point in writing without serious motivation." - Casaubon referring to Belbo, Foucault's Pendulum.

Your photographic skills are outstanding. This particular pen is a strong argument for a c/c pens instead of a piston filled one. I used my Desert Springs today and thoroughly enjoyed it. There is one issue that I am sure many would have with my pen. The celluloid of the nib section is staining from repeated dipping in ink. Since I am a user, not a collector, it does not bother me, much. A c/c pen would avoid this altogether.

You have a lovely pen, enjoy it.

P1030203.JPG

A. Don's Axiom "It's gonna be used when I sell it, might as well be used when I buy it."

Its a beauty to see... The pen is well designed and the body looks outstanding. PR Chocolate goes well with this pen.

Pilot Vanishing Point Royal Red

Sailor Professional Gear - Sailor Jentle Grenade

Kaweco AC Sport Red Limited Edition - Kaweco Red

Sheaffer Prelude Chrome - Private Reserve Sherwood Green

TWSBI Diamond 540 - Sheaffer Purple

Sheaffer 300 - Private Reserve Orange Crush

• 3 months later...

Well, your review and Bryant's typically enabling prices combined have convinced me to pick one up XD Those photos are great!

Yuki

http://i54.tinypic.com/16jj9fb.jpg

Follow me on twitter! @crypticjunky

~And the words, they're everything and nothing. I want to search for her in the offhand remarks.~