• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• watch_art

• bjornhansson

• MrsGouletPens

• asdf

The Diamine ink that most resembles Lie de Thé is probably Golden Brown. Golden Brown is not a very close match, though, as it doesn't have any green tones.

I don't know if there is anything similar in the Noodler's range.

Maybe Noodler's Golden Brown could be worth a try.

Thanks!

So far it looks like Noodler's Golden Brown and Diamine Sepia have grabbed my attention. Maybe not exactly close to the LDT but lovely inks none the less.

I was leaning towards the Sailor Rikyu-Cha as the best murky brown green, like the Lie de The.

Harder to find in the USA than the J. Herbin, tho....

I am a big fan of Rikyu-cha (my top ink at present) and Lie de thé (which will probably take top spot when I run out of Rikyu-cha, which is no longer produced), and also of Diamine inks generally. I don't find a good match in the Diamine line for either of the above. In particular, Diamine Raw Sienna (a good ink in itself) is really very different from Lie de thé. I have extolled Diamine Sepia elsewhere; though (like many Diamine colors) it doesn't really correspond to its name, it's a very versatile brown ink, sober enough for continuous writing and at the same time bright enough to stand out for corrections on a black-and-white printout.

I would point out (off-topic) that Rikyu-cha doesn't actually have any brown in it; it just looks brown, but it's actually a gorgeous green-grey.

While I don't have Rikyu-cha my collection includes at least 30 browns and nothing is all that similar to Herbin's Lie de Thé including Noodler's Golden Brown. The latter is an excellent ink especially for shading. I tried using it as a substitute for Lie de Thé but it is quite different. Golden Brown is especially nice in a flex nib if you have the patience to let it dry thoroughly. It is also good with a very fine nib. Lie de Thé works well in all sorts of pens including a brush pen where a fill of it is headed later today. Then Golden Brown is going in a pen with a fine nib. Must be time for my autumn rotation to take over. :)

A certified Inkophile

inkophile on tumblr,theinkophile on instagram,inkophile on twitter

Lie de Thé is quite close to the discontinued Sheaffer (American) Brown. Since the old Sheaffer Brown is borderline unobtainable, I reckon that doesn't count. I'm not personally familiar with any others that are Lie de Thé near-analogues.

Another vote for Noodler's Golden Brown. I have a bottle of each and am somewhat disappointed at how similar they are. I got them before I discovered the magic of ink samples.

I guess I expected the Golden Brown to be a bit lighter and more golden. Ah well.

[color="#483D8B"][i][font="Book Antiqua"]Libera me, Domine, de morte aeterna, in die illa tremenda. [/color][/font][/I]

I just mixed up Noodler's #41 Brown and Noodler's Golden Brown in a 1:4 ratio and I have just found the shade of brown I have been chasing after. I think it looks real close to what you may be looking for as well. It makes the GB darker but still has the serious shading. I am really happy with this mixture.

I just mixed up Noodler's #41 Brown and Noodler's Golden Brown in a 1:4 ratio and I have just found the shade of brown I have been chasing after. I think it looks real close to what you may be looking for as well. It makes the GB darker but still has the serious shading. I am really happy with this mixture.

Now I may have to buy a bottle of Golden Brown so I can make that mix. I have a pen for which Lie de Thé is the perfect color, but it and that pen just won't play nicely together.

In the meantime, I just got some R&K Alt-Goldgrün and some Sepia, so I may mess around with those.

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

I don't have most of these browns listed, but I do have LdT and Kiowa Pecan - they don't seem very much alike to me at all. I think much closer would be Brooklyn Brawn, but it's not the *same* either. It's an Art Brown Noodlers ink.

Lee Hiers, AA4GA

"Have Dobro Will Travel"