Seal Waxing Your Envelop

crls145

I was reading some reviews here at FPN about wax and seals and I got so exited that I went and ordered a seal and some wax for myself! :bonk:

But now I need to know, if you use a seal wax to seal your envelops, do you need a especial type of envelop? I mean an envelop that has no glue? Or you just glue the envelop as usual and then apply your wax seal?

All the best

Carlos

Edited by crls145

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lovemy51

• Tiffanyhenschel

• Olafsen

• box_camera

Personally, I use normal envelopes, seal them with the glue strip provided and then apply the way seal over the top of that.

“You either suffer the pain of discipline or you suffer the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs in ounces while regret weighs in tons.”

Jim Rohn

I prefer envelopes with a triangle-shaped back, because the large ones may require multiple seals.

This is fine:

http://img.trovaprezzi.it/prd/362/63068888.jpg

This is not:

http://www.tompla.com/recursos/images/sobresBolsasCarterillas/s_konst.gif

Edited by Olafsen

Almost all of my stationery comes with glued envelopes. I glue them like normal and put the seal on top. Seals of course are no longer necessary, for the most part. It's just a fun affectation.

Keepers of private notebooks are a different breed altogether, lonely and resistant rearrangers of things, anxious malcontents, children afflicted apparently at birth with some presentiment of loss. Joan Didion

When I'm mailing an envelope, I'll seal it first and then put the flexible wax seal on top.

But when I'm handing the letter directly to its recipient, I actually prefer to put the hard wax over the unglued envelope flap. That way, the recipient can break the seal and open the envelope. It feels more traditional that way.

I use seals on envelopes and packages I send. Just plain old fashioned fun.

Be sure to use flexible wax that is suitable for going through the mails.

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

It's sealing, by making wax seals. Waxing is something else entirely.

"wax sealing" instead of "seal waxing"

I am getting a great mental image of "seal waxing!" I guess seals do spend an awful lot of time on the shore... :lol:

(I Know, I know... English isn't everybody's first language nor letter notionery everybody's first love.)

Awesome! I use wax seals on all my personal correspondence. It just makes a hand-written letter a little more special, in my opinion.

I also seal my letters with the glue, then put the wax over the flap. With flexible/malleable wax, I've never had a problem with the US post service.

I'll come up with something eventually.

I have forgotten the fun of sealing wax, I use do that on all letters going to close family members will have to get them out of the storage.

Best Regards,

Mikale

• 3 weeks later...

I put a wax seal on a story i was writing. You had to break the seal to get the ending so it was a little fun to do. Goodness! I got such a response. My husband was reading the story and insisted that he have that seal over the ending (I was flattered and added a ribbon on his to make it even more special). I had forgotten how much fun sealing wax is (but you have to be very very careful with it, too).

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

For anyone wanting to try wax sealing without a large initial investment, Michael's (the craft store) has wax and brass seals in the wedding stationery section. The seals are $5, and the sticks of wax are $5 for four sticks. Colors are white, grey, gold, and red. I've been using them for years, and they seem to go through the USPS fine.

They aren't the fanciest of seals and colors, but it's a good way to get started with a small investment.

"Life is too big for words, so don't try to describe it. Just live it."

- C.S. Lewis

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Another alternative is to write your letter and then fold it in such a way that it makes its own envelope, and then seal that. It was very commonly done back in the old days.

i always wanted to try this, but i wonder if the USPS (US postal service) would take it(??!!).

anyone (in the US) tried it?

It should always be allowed because it's the common way to send important letters where the receiver must not have any excuse to say that he got an empty envelope and therefore no message.

Lovemy51, I use seals all the time. No problems with the USPS. Enjoy!

Sheaffer Targa - Parker Penman Sapphire----- Luoshi - Silk Road Green

Twsbi - Noodler's North African Violet-----Lamy Vista - Noodler's Marine Green

WTB Lamy Terracotta and Savannah, Sweden LE, Japan LE

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd273/BrownEyedGirl248/Avatars/InkDrop.jpgMember since 1-28-11

Lovemy51, I use seals all the time. No problems with the USPS. Enjoy!

thx, inky, but my question had more to do with the envelopes. would they (USPS) accept a folded letter by itself -as shangas suggested...???