Kaweco Sport

dot

Disclaimer: This is my first review, and I'm still getting a feel for the fountain pen/FPN basics. You guys do know you have intimidatingly good reviews, right?

The Kaweco Sport is a inexpensive workhorse. It comes in a cute, cardboard box with gold cursive on it. At first I didn't know if I had gotten a fountain pen or an eye cream. The pen itself is kind of homely to my eye, but behaves nicely, even on dinky paper. I have never been all that great with introductions, and hope that my skills will develop as my pen addiction worsens, but for now, allons-y to the review, ok?

Appearance & Design 2/10

For me, the appeal of this pen is not really in the design. I'm trying to put this as delicately as I can: it reminds me of a feminine care product. Of course, this is especially evident when the body of the pen is made of white plastic. I think the Chess versions are better looking and the Carbons are finer still, but they both cost more.

Feminine care aside, the design is minimalistic, functional, and clean: glossy plastic with spare gold accents. It's modern without being futuristic... in fact, it's like a 1980's interpretation of modern design.

Construction & Quality 8/10

The Kaweco Sport is lightweight without feeling flimsy. I don't worry about this pen falling apart due to normal wear and tear at all. I don't want to subject it to roughhousing just to find out, but it seems solidly constructed.

Weight & Dimensions 5/10

This pen is teensy. My hands are quite dainty, and even I would prefer the Kaweco Sport to be a fraction larger in diameter: my grip on this pen is pretty tight and can be uncomfortable.

I prefer writing with the cap posted--though it seems balanced either way, the pen sans cap is less than 4 inches long.

The plastic has more heft than a "cheap" pen, which is nice.

Nib & Performance 8/10

The gold-colored steel nib is where this pen really shines (I could say "no pun intended," but everyone would see through that.) Mine is an EF, but F, M, and B are also available. The nib is firm without being too stiff or rigid. The line is neither to wet, nor too dry. It's very nice for an EF nib. Mine used to skip a little, but I'm thinking that may have been due to the fact that I used it right out of the box instead of rinsing any factory residue off. I do not think the nib is replaceable.

Filling System & Maintenance 3/10

Uses international short cartridges, so it is very easy to change and maintain. However, I don't consider short cartridges a good value in the long run, and I wish it had a converter, however teeny it would have to be.

Cost & Value 9/10

The Kaweco Sport is 21$ at JetPens and tends to run somewhere between 20-25$ USD on the sites I'm familiar with. I think it is a good value due to its high functionality and portability at a low price point, but I don't like its dependence on short cartridges (I may try to convert to an eyedropper if I ever come up with the nerve.

Conclusion

If I followed the rating system exactly, I'd come up with 5.8 overall for this pen, due to the filling system/appearance ratings. However, that doesn't really reflect how I feel about this pen. It's true: I do not care for the appearance of this pen, I only use it occasionally because I find the slim grip uncomfortable for extended writing, and I prefer the versatility that comes with an easy converter system. But it's a very utilitarian pen at a good price point that lays down a beautiful line easily even when the nib is quite fine. If I could weigh those criteria how I'd like, I'd give this pen a 6 or a 6.5 easily. I can clearly see how many could use this as their go-to workhorse.

You can see the pen and some writing samples (in Kaweco Turquoise), as well as comparisons, here:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6155/6144495632_9269f90534_z.jpg

Kaweco Sport by ink dot, on Flickr

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6187/6144493056_8147c30290_z.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6210/6143939657_3d6506ae6d_z.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dot

• Lloyd

• JaquiAnn

• hot cocoa

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've got a Blue Ice with EF nib that I'm lovin'. I've got it filled via eyedropper with Noodlers Bulletproof black and my nib is smoooth!

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Nice review! Good job, Dot!

The Kaweco Sport has interested me for a while -- but I'm not much into collecting, and I've been in the reverse of accumulating lately. Still, I'm interested in reviews of this pen.

The sporty look of it appeals to me, the portability of it. I ordered an FPN Passaporto, though, to fill the pocket-pen slot.

Side-note: I like your handwriting! Very neat.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

The Kaweco Sport has interested me for a while -- but I'm not much into collecting, and I've been in the reverse of accumulating lately. Still, I'm interested in reviews of this pen.

The sporty look of it appeals to me, the portability of it. I ordered an FPN Passaporto, though, to fill the pocket-pen slot.

Thank you!

If you want a clip ($3) and to spend 1/4 the money, the Kaweco beats the Stipula. My EF nib is one of my smoothest nib....no modifications required.:cloud9:

Edited by Lloyd

Oscar Wilde

If FPN had produced a FPN Kaweco Sport, I would have jumped on it. Alas.

I had a Passaporto, but sold it, cos... I'll carry a Nakaya Piccolo or (recently recruited for daily duty) Montblanc 100-Year Historical, so having the Passaporto was redundant. I couldn't pass up the FPN version. *Smiley*

If I get back into an accumulating frenzy again, though, Lloyd, I've got the Kaweco Sport on the list. Good to know about the nib.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

The Kaweco Sports are exactly what you say, wonderful, reliable little workhorse pens. I've got a blue one, fitted with a gold clip. A smooth, reliable pen, right out of the box.

On a side note, I used to have one of the rollerball versions of this pen, and actually was able to use a tiny little converter from (if memory serves me correctly) Monteverde. However, I can't find that pen, nor the converter, so... :headsmack:

When I get back home, I'll have to go digging through my desk...

"Here was a man who had said, with his wan smile, that once he realized that he would never be a protagonist, he decided to become, instead, an intelligent spectator, for there was no point in writing without serious motivation." - Casaubon referring to Belbo, Foucault's Pendulum.

If you want a clip ($3) and to spend 1/3 the money, the Kaweco beats the Stipula. My EF nib is one of my smoothest nib....no modifications required.:cloud9:

How fine is that XF? Western or Japanese?

Nakaya Piccolo Heki Tamenuri 14K XF

Nakaya Ascending Dragon Heki 14K XXF

Sailor Brown Mosaic 21K Saibi Togi XXF

Sailor Maki-e Koi 21K XF

Pilot Namiki Sterling Silver Crane FP

Bexley Dragon XXF

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s320/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpg

Well, as I'm using an ink that minimizes a nib's linewidth (Noodlers Bulletproof Black). With this ink, it's narrower than the Western XFs I've used but it's not as fine as a Sailor XF.

Oscar Wilde

Well, as I'm using an ink that minimizes a nib's linewidth (Noodlers Bulletproof Black). With this ink, it's narrower than the Western XFs I've used but it's not as fine as a Sailor XF.

I'd imagine it's on the Western XF spectrum, but I have no other Western XFs to compare it to. I concur with Lloyd that it's not as fine as a Sailor XF and ditto on the "smooth operator" thought.

Hello

Has somebody made a comparison between:

- A Kaweco Sport with EF and F nib?

- A Kaweco Sport Classic and a Kaweco AL Sport?

I already have a (black) Kaweco Sport Classic with F nib but now I see that the Kaweco AL Sport with EF nib is available and I am somehow tempted.

I have the black aluminium version, which I find rather cool looking in it's matte finish.

It is a great deal heavier than the plastic versions (I have a plastic from a calligraphy kit)

As was described above, the nib is great, convinced me that steel nibs can be as good as gold.

I CAN write with it uncapped, and regularly do as the pen sits (or sat) beside my desk in a notebloc. I used to scribble notes without posting. Posted it is about the size and weight of many other pens unposted.

The only drawback is that there's no room for a spare cart.

Recently I bought a matte black Fischer Bullitpen. These two are a nice pair together, and now sit in my little bag I carry if I am not wearing jacket (which is mostly) They seem made for this purpose.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

If FPN had produced a FPN Kaweco Sport, I would have jumped on it. Alas.

I had a Passaporto, but sold it, cos... I'll carry a Nakaya Piccolo or (recently recruited for daily duty) Montblanc 100-Year Historical, so having the Passaporto was redundant. I couldn't pass up the FPN version. *Smiley*

If I get back into an accumulating frenzy again, though, Lloyd, I've got the Kaweco Sport on the list. Good to know about the nib.

You have some of the most fabulous pens I have ever seen! i have a couple of these Kaweco's and really enjoy having a little cart pen I can stick in my pocket. It's nice to actually own a pen you aspire to own.

I have one that I bought used from a member that found it to be too small.

It's not the most handsome pen that I own but it can hold its own when writing.

It's an F nib but I think it leans more to medium. It's very very smooth and the right size to stick into my man-bag or whatever you call those things that hold my passport, immigration forms, etc.

I might get another in a more attractive color. Mine is clear.

Hex, aka George

• 1 year later...

I'm trying to put this as delicately as I can: it reminds me of a feminine care product.

Bingo!

Anyways, the Kaweco Sport is my buy for this month. I'm getting a transparent green one.

Inglourious Basterds...

• 2 weeks later...

And here's mine ... very girlie I know but I'm loving it. Only recently purchased and the vendor did say a converter was available if I didn't want the cartridge fill. I've gone for the EF nib which I would consider to be more like a F. Tried the F and thought it more like a M which was too large for me. I use the pen posted and find it sits nicely in my (small) hand. It tucks neatly in my handbag too. Lovin' it, lov'in it, lovin' it ...

post-101200-0-56427800-1363637607.jpg

post-101200-0-58967200-1363637629.jpg

post-101200-0-68815300-1363637726.jpg

Edited by JaquiAnn

And here's mine ... very girlie I know but I'm loving it. Only recently purchased and the vendor did say a converter was available if I didn't want the cartridge fill. I've gone for the EF nib which I would consider to be more like a F. Tried the F and thought it more like a M which was too large for me. I use the pen posted and find it sits nicely in my (small) hand. It tucks neatly in my handbag too. Lovin' it, lov'in it, lovin' it ...

Thanks! It looks beautiful, and just the perfect size, posted. I just ordered mine, and also in EF. Glad it's not too fine. I can't wait, and will post images here when it arrives. But, mine is black, not very exciting.

---

Please, visit my website at http://www.acousticpens.com/

Love the pink! I've one that color too, so cheery. It's filled with Noodler's Mandalay Maroon, the pink ink for those who don't do pink ink.

I read that Kaweco comes out with a couple of new colors every couple of years, so maybe this year we'll see something different...purple or black transparent would be fun.

The comments (and, indeed, the handwriting sample in the review) about the nib being a little fat for an EF is intriguing, as my Sport (another white classic) has a bold nib, that seems a bit thin for my taste.

is there some sort of bell curve going on with Kaweco's nib grading, so that they tend towards medium, rather than running fat or thin?

Oh, and that was a great review, dot.