Eversharp Symphony No. 713

shaylenwilliams

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u48/luuuckyclover/PICT0362.jpg

I just received this little gem in the mail today from Peyton Street Pens. This is my first real "vintage" pen, AND my first non-C/C or piston fill. Color me intimidated!

I had researched this pen a bit, so I pretty much knew to expect an economy-type pen from the 1950's, that concentrated its steam in the nib-department. The looks of the 713 Symphony aren't stunning, but that wasn't why I wanted this pen. I wanted a somewhat economical way to try a REAL vintage flexible nib. In that department, this pen most certainly does not disappoint. I wouldn't call it a wet noodle, it probably ranges somewhere between a semi-flex and flexible, but I am not experienced enough with flex nibs to make that call. In fact, the only other flexy fountain pen I've ever used is the Noodler's Flex Creaper. The nib is very smooth, and is pure writing bliss with a lube-y shader like Herbin Vert Olive!

Lengths are: 5 and 3/8" capped,4 and 7/8" uncapped, and very near 6" posted.

Here are more pictures and writing samples:

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u48/luuuckyclover/PICT0360.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u48/luuuckyclover/PICT0369.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u48/luuuckyclover/PICT0365.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u48/luuuckyclover/PICT0371.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u48/luuuckyclover/PICT0372.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u48/luuuckyclover/PICT0348-1.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u48/luuuckyclover/PICT0357.jpg

ETA: these are some pictures of the flex at work, I didn't really realize that the above sample doesn't show it off very well.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u48/luuuckyclover/PICT0339.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u48/luuuckyclover/PICT0340.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u48/luuuckyclover/PICT0336.jpg

Edited by shaylenwilliams

"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

The Poor Connoisseurs

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shaylenwilliams

• WOBentley

• Inkwisitor

• Uncle Red

Nice pen and I love your handwriting. You will get much enjoyment out of it!

We can trust the heart of a man by his treatment of animals. - Immanual Kant

Nice pen and I love your handwriting. You will get much enjoyment out of it!

Thanks Michele,

Trust me, the credit is much more due to the pen than any talent of mine!

"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

The Poor Connoisseurs

GAWD that's a pretty ink! Gonna have to get some of that. I just hate their little bottles.

It has become one of my staples. I really love it. Yes, the bottles are terrible, but were never an issue before my owning this pen- I would just use a syringe to fill. I barely had enough left in this one to fill with. I'll probably just end up buying the ink next time and transferring it to a more pen-friendly bottle.

The Poor Connoisseurs

Shaylen, I just got a flex nib too and it's not the pen it's your handwriting, good job. And welcome to vintage pens.

I won't be posting any handwriting any time soon. But, how the mighty had fallen, just ten years before Eversharp made the Skyline.

Shaylen, I just got a flex nib too and it's not the pen it's your handwriting, good job. And welcome to vintage pens.

I won't be posting any handwriting any time soon. But, how the mighty had fallen, just ten years before Eversharp made the Skyline.

Thanks for the compliment! :embarrassed_smile:

I know, I was reading about post-Skyline downfall... I'd LOVE to get my hands on one of those... I saw a Blurple-y/striated looking one that was a knockout! Alas, the Symphony will do me just fine while I am college student-poor.

The Poor Connoisseurs

Shaylen,

Beautiful handwriting and a nice review. I also got one of these from Peyton Street, and they are very nice indeed!

Thanks for posting this!

Dave

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

Congratulations on joining the ranks of vintage pen users. Add me as another admirer of your handwriting!

"The cultured man is the man whose interior consciousness is forever obstinately writing down, in the immaterial diary of his psyche's sense of life, every chance aspect of every new day that he is lucky enough to live to behold!" - John Cowper Powys

I am waiting for mine:

A 713 in ExtraFine Flex and a 917 in Fine Flex.

Should have ordered a Flex Stub as well..Pity. All sold out.

ernest

Edited by Ernest

• 3 weeks later...

Shaylen,

I'm just seeing this review now, after having been on the road for a few weeks. Lovely review for a lovely pen. And, by the way, your handwriting is beautiful!!

Thanks for sharing this with us. biggrin.gif

kp

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Shaylen,

I'm just seeing this review now, after having been on the road for a few weeks. Lovely review for a lovely pen. And, by the way, your handwriting is beautiful!!

Thanks for sharing this with us. biggrin.gif

kp

Thanks KP, you're too kind! I hope the road was good to you!

The Poor Connoisseurs

• 2 weeks later...

Your fabulous review made up my mind - I just placed an order for one of these babies! Thanks for the great review - though my wallet now has a bone to pick with you ... ;)

Lovely work, and well done on your choice, Shaylen! I've been having a lot of fun with mine. You know you've chosen well with the love of your life when this happens: she convinced me I should get one, so I got a fine 713; she knew I wanted a stub, but they were all sold out.

Well, they weren't, really. She called Teri and got one of the last ones, and gave it to me as a surprise on my birthday. <3

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Your fabulous review made up my mind - I just placed an order for one of these babies! Thanks for the great review - though my wallet now has a bone to pick with you ... ;)

I look forward to seeing it in action!!!

Lovely work, and well done on your choice, Shaylen! I've been having a lot of fun with mine. You know you've chosen well with the love of your life when this happens: she convinced me I should get one, so I got a fine 713; she knew I wanted a stub, but they were all sold out.Well, they weren't, really. She called Teri and got one of the last ones, and gave it to me as a surprise on my birthday. <3

A good choice of life partner indeed! :thumbup:

The Poor Connoisseurs

*It's too late to edit the original post now, but I JUST realized that in the typed portion of my review I called the ink Vert Olive. It isn't that, obviously- it's Vert Empire. Stupid me.*

The Poor Connoisseurs

• 2 months later...

I just now got one (burgundy and broad flex, too). I love this pen. Smooth, wet, gold nib (my first) lightweight (I appreciate that). Decided to ink it up with Noodlers Swan in UK Roses (because it's burgundy colored). I am not sure that was the proper ink to choose (VERY wet, dries VERY slooooooollllly and leaves a round dome of ink to dry after the nib passes). I will have to experiment with inks and this pen. I have seen some heartbreakingly beautiful handwriting done with another one (like your handwriting) and just fell for it and glad I did. Thanks for the review, I concur with all of it.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

congrats on the pen :thumbup:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time