Noodler's Antietam

Lothianjavert

Noodler's Antietam has been on my "want" list for a while after reading reviews here. I am glad I got it- it is a lovely orange-red color. The deeper shaded areas remind me somewhat of blood, but the ink overall has a more orange cast, enough to avoid looking too macabre. It is easily visible, but it is not a searing red that is painful to read. It has a pleasant earthy tone to it, and like many of the Noodler's inks, it's very saturated. It is well behaved and shades well. Flow was not an issue- it did not clog, and it was not a gusher either. I would say "moderate", the same with lubrication. It did not feather for me, and only bled through a little on the cheap thin walmart paper I used for the review. This makes a great "go to" red.

http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/9066/santietam.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/9465/santietam2.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Messmer

• Fabienne

• Horseknitter

• HeartMan

• 1 month later...

I just tried this out in my TWSBI broad nib pen and I would say it is just like writing with blood. Maybe that is my historical side coming out but I think that Nathan got down The Exact sanguine color and opacity. I have Habanero and tried out Cayenne and this one is redder than Cayenne and less saturated and orange than Habanero and so it is indeed blood red. Arterial and still wet.

I find that it is almost or close to transparent in the broad nib pen on a cheap paper. I am sure that on something like Clairfontaine it would be more saturated looking.

There is something repulsive and highly appealing about Antietam, which would make it perfect for a Halloween or special occasion ink. But if you get away from all the historical references and psychological circumstances, it is a beautiful ink and rapidly becoming one of my favorites. To me it's a perfect balance between brown and red.

Another fabulous Noodler's red-orange. Oh, Nathan, run away with me!!! :roflmho:I can make cornbread, unlike them Yankee gals.

Edited to add more sparkling wit.

Edited by Fabienne

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

I showed a team of phlebotomists Noodlers Antietam and, without any prompting from me, they said, "That IS the color of dried blood."

I use this ink in all my orange pens. The ink seems to work well with any paper/nib combo with no bleed through or feathering. Plus, I love the color.

Can you make a comparison with Noodlers' Habanero (which I use). Sure looks similar on the screen... thanks.

first fountain pen: student Sheaffer, 1956

next fountain pen: Montblanc 146 circa 1990

favourite ink: Noodler's Zhivago

favourite pen: Waterman No. 12

most beautiful pen: Conway Stewart 84 red with gold veins, oh goodness gracious

• 2 weeks later...

Can you make a comparison with Noodlers' Habanero (which I use). Sure looks similar on the screen... thanks.

I do want to do a proper comparison among: Antietam, Habanero, and Apache Sunset. I am ashamed to admit I have them all and am deeply in love with all 3. I don't have pictures yet but here is my observation:

• Antietam is the reddest of the 3. It does not shade from yellow to orange/red at all. It is the color of dried blood and I think it's very very red oxide. Inside a demonstrator pen it looks just like blood.
  • Habanero is more orange than yellow. It does shade from yellow to orange/red but it is more the latter by far.
  • Apache Sunset is the most highly shading of the three. It is an "Indian Yellow"* sort of a color when you observe it from afar but you quickly notice the shading. Letters start out yellow and go to a fire orange but the mark is more yellow than orange.

I am not sure if doing comparisons should be put under "Ink Reviews" or in "Inky Thoughts". I will be asking the question though and this does deserve a proper answer because it is one of the Great Mysteries of Ink!

*That pigment was made from the urine of cows which were fed only mango leaves to eat. The pigment (as an oil paint) came out of the tube as a yellow and quickly turned orange when mixed with just about anything else. It is made artificially now because a steady diet of mango leaves is not good for livestock. "Indian" refers to the Asian sub-continent. Yes, I was a color nerd in art school.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

Any equivalent in waterproof version?

Dromgoole's has an exclusive called Noodler's Alamo's twilight, I think it's pretty close to a bulletproof antietam. Haven't had a chance to see either ink ink person yet though.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/128413-noodlers-the-alamos-twillight/

Tanks but site down for now...

Messmer

• 3 months later...

I love it, it's definitely a bloody ink. :yikes:

Some got on my fingers and my kids asked me if I was bleeding.

Sadly, I didn't get to see the reaction of my waitress when I signed the credit card receipt today.

Edited by arthury

____

Art Y.

The story that Nathan puts behind this ink is that it was reconstructed from a bottle of Civil War era ink (I think it was in a battlefield inkwell) sent to him once. That makes me wonder...... Okay, well what did they use as ink back then? Iron-gall, maybe some native berries or other plant-based colourings..... Maybe even carbon (soot, lampblack...)... Who knows? But what period ink could have been used that was this type of colour? What if the soldier used real blo...... But eh, no, that couldn't have happened.

The above shall not be construed as legal advice under any circumstances