Noodler's Green Marine - Ink Review

Gobblecup

I finally decided I have been using fountain pens long enough, and multiple inks with multiple pens long enough, to give a good and detailed review of an ink. It takes some time and experience to get a feel for it all. My foremost hope is that my ink reviews will help to build the collective database of reviews on the FPN and give some if not many a good and resourceful look at different inks; I am trying to make a review that will help those who read it, that's my simple goal. If you appreciate my reviews, please let me know, and I also welcome advice and constructive criticism on improving future reviews.

The format I am using was made by our fellow member SP. Colfer, and I thank him for allowing me to use his template for my reviews. As always, there are no guarantees that the scans will be an exact match, I do my best to adjust the scans if needed, but there are many variables to be accounted for. Alright, lets get into it!

http://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af135/jtm117/greenmarine2.jpg

http://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af135/jtm117/greenmarine3.jpg

http://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af135/jtm117/greenmarine4ADJSTD.jpg

http://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af135/jtm117/b4541b64.jpg

http://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af135/jtm117/ivorygreenmarinesample.jpg

In another final assessment of this ink, I would say I may have been overly critical of this ink, and there are some things I didn't fully complete, such as how the ink flushes out; it actually does quite well, with only three or so flushes needed. The colour is a very true green, about as true as I have seen so far, but I wasn't really looking for that myself. I still have a few more green inks to acquire, so I may have a different opinion as time goes on, and I may reload the comparisons with more green inks of similar hue.

I would love to hear you comments! :thumbup:

Edited by Gobblecup

Gobblecup ~

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gobblecup

• opus7600

• Nonsensical

• stoof2010

This is my favourite ink, and the shading's not bad at all with a 0.7 CI nib, and italic nibs in particular.

One of my favorites in its pure form. I've also had success adding some BPB to darken it and add more permanence to the line.

It does shade very well in my VP with a Cursive Italic point! Thanks for the recommendation!

I am thinking of adding a zoomed in writing sample on an ivory coloured paper or parchment, would this be something you guys want to see? :hmm1:

P.S. After doing this review I decided to buy some more bottles of Green ink... The ink comparisons slot looked very lonely! :rolleyes: :headsmack:Diamine Evergreen, Sherwood Green, and R&K Alt Goldgrun reviews will be incoming! :happyberet:

Edited by Gobblecup

Gobblecup ~

One of my favorites in its pure form. I've also had success adding some BPB to darken it and add more permanence to the line.

What is BPB?

Gobblecup ~

What is BPB?

Sorry for the jargon. BPB = Noodler's (Bulletproof) Black.

What is BPB?

Sorry for the jargon. BPB = Noodler's (Bulletproof) Black.

Thanks for the clarification, I have heard BSB but not BPB! :roflmho:

In any case, that sounds like a good idea, the only problem is I only got a sample of this ink, so I am watching my droplets!

Gobblecup ~

I added an Ivory paper sample, zoomed pretty well in. Please excuse the sloppy handwriting, the pressure needed to use a NOODLERS flex pen takes a bit of getting used to... :blush:

You'll notice a bit of feathering, but it's both because this paper is actually quite susceptible to feathering, and the ink was going down in a gush!

Gobblecup ~

It is pretty good with flex pens- it does gush, as mentioned. I also own Diamine Evergreen :embarrassed_smile: , it's a nice serious green, not so sure about the shading though...I'll have to check it out tomorrow, I guess!

*Edited* For some reason, I find myself thinking that Evergreen bears a remarkable resemblance to Sailor Jentle Epinard!

Edited by Nonsensical

• 2 weeks later...

I use this ink in a Pelikan M1000 with an OB nib. It's a fairly wet writer, like most M1000s, and this ink shades beautifully from this pen. I've also found Green Marine easy to live with - good pen hygiene does not require a great deal of effort when using this ink.

Thanks for an excellent review!

Now, back to watching Irene. We're going to get wet in these parts over the next few days . . .

JLT (J. L. Trasancos, Barneveld, NY)

"People with courage and character always seem sinister to the rest."

Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Very organized approach to an ink review. Very well done. It was easy for me to read and understand. Thank you very much.

Be Happy, work at it. Namaste

• 1 month later...

Buying a bottle now.

Only thing i was worried abiut was feathering and bleedthrough. I only use 80g+ paper so it should be great!!

What paper were u using for the flex??? I use flex alot for letters and want to make sure i wont have feathering and bleed on rhodia and better paper.

Edited by stoof2010

-Stefan

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk245/WIKKID85/me/pen%20stuff/SnailBadge.png

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk245/WIKKID85/me/pen%20stuff/unnamed.jpg