J. Herbin Poussiere De Lune

shaylenwilliams

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u48/luuuckyclover/JHerbinPDL1.jpg

This ink is the reason I wanted my first real fountain pen about a year ago. The color is a dusty purple, something you would maybe see in a gorgeous painted sky as the sun sets. Yeah, that sounds cheesy, but this color really is that great.

Poussiere de Lune is an almost pastel purple that leans more toward the blue side of the spectrum than the red. Think diluted Grape Kool-Aid, and you’ve pretty much got a spot-on idea of the color. PdL would be related to Private Reserve Ebony Purple and Sailor Jentle Chu-shu, perhaps their younger sibling. It is very unique and obviously from a fountain pen. This color is subdued and I believe you could use it in a professional setting- given you were not restricted to blue or black ink only.

To speak of the technicalities- it is an average to slightly dry and less saturated ink, but it is very nice. There is a decent amount of shading. This Herbin offering could stand to be a little bit more lubricating, but it is pleasant to use. Many people have commented how surprising the water-resistance is, and I have to concur. I have a feeling that as school approaches, I will be using this ink with a nice smooth medium nib to take notes. This is definitely an ink that I will buy again.

Here is a comparison shot with some other purples:

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u48/luuuckyclover/Purples1.jpg

"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

The Poor Connoisseurs

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shaylenwilliams

• uzkntuocmw

• jandrese

• Ipno Tizer

I'd say it has a sort of antique ferogallic look about it, although I've also thought that about some if it's rivals, Diamine Damson in particular.

Chris B.

I love this color. And the "diluted purple kool-aid" is spot on description. Made me giggle when I read it b/c is what my kiddos are drinking today ;)

I am curious to try Damson to see how it stacks up in terms of color, but mostly behavior. I could stand for PDL to be a bit wetter and more lubed, so maybe Damson would fit that bill... thoughts anyone?

"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

The Poor Connoisseurs

I am curious to try Damson to see how it stacks up in terms of color, but mostly behavior. I could stand for PDL to be a bit wetter and more lubed, so maybe Damson would fit that bill... thoughts anyone?

I've found Damson to be pretty wet and free flowing (perhaps a bit too wet for some pens), so long as it's fresh. It can be a bit picky if it's not frequently used though, although it's not especially bad that way.

I've found Damson to be pretty wet and free flowing (perhaps a bit too wet for some pens), so long as it's fresh. It can be a bit picky if it's not frequently used though, although it's not especially bad that way.

Good to know, thanks!!!

The Poor Connoisseurs

It's also similar to Diamine Damson, although slightly lighter.

also very close to scabiosa. i can't remember how they all comapre as far as lube and flow... i don't feel like testing them right now :blush: . last time i tested the three i think scabiosa was the winner.

• 1 month later...

Great review! This is what made me want to try this ink, and I am glad I did. I love this ink! I just got a bottle this week, and I am so pleased! I have it in my Rembrandt, and it flows so well. I find it lighter and a little more red than Damson, and I find it does flow a little drier - though not too noticeable in this pen (I have yet to try it in my others).

Great review! This is what made me want to try this ink, and I am glad I did. I love this ink! I just got a bottle this week, and I am so pleased! I have it in my Rembrandt, and it flows so well. I find it lighter and a little more red than Damson, and I find it does flow a little drier - though not too noticeable in this pen (I have yet to try it in my others).

:thumbup: So glad you like it!

The Poor Connoisseurs

Hello Shaylen, et al,

Nice review- thanks.

I am a big fan of Poussiere de Lune myself; I am not a big fan of the vivid or "royal" purple inks- but I'm quickly growing to love the dusky purples. When I am in a warm (red) dusky purple mood- I reach for PdeL, (it appears that Diamine Damson is another warm dusky purple- but as others have said- slightly darker than PdeL); when I am in a cool (blue) dusky purple mood- I always grab Diamine's Amazing Amethyst.

Be warned though, PdeL can come out a brownish burgundy in some dry writing pens.

All the best,

Sean :)

Edited by S. P. Colfer

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.