Lamy Studio Violet Le

spiv

When I first noticed that the Lamy Studio came in purple, I thought that it would make a lovely gift for may wife, in May I hadn't figured out what the letters LE meant. This is indeed a Limited Edition pen. I was only able to source one Medium nibbed unit from any of the vendors I was willing to buy from (who charged less than $30 to ship, and I had heard of).

The initial impression was positive. I was at work when the package arrived. My wife sent me this image:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6002/5982755257_38f7efb19d_m.jpg

Untitled by itspiv, on Flickr

She was quite impressed with the box design and presentation. The pen came with a converter, I wasn't sure and ordered one anyway as a precaution, now we have a back up. The pen also came with the ubiquitous cartridge of Lamy blue. One of these days I'm going to try one. There was a warranty card promising a three year warranty, there was also an international warranty slip, visible in the above picture, that promises a lifetime warranty. I'm banking on the latter.

The pen has a brushed metal surface, a pleasant texture to my hand, violet in colour. The end caps are bright metal (chromed?) as is the "propeller" clip and the section. Honestly, I was expecting the section to be difficult to hold, slippery, possibly annoying. It is not yet any of those things. What it is is heavy. I will add my long term observations later but i think this may be tiring to use for any long writing sessions... however I am an inexperienced reviewer at this point. I have been using a Lamy Vista (F) at work for over a year, and a Joy for letter writing for a few months. Other than the Preppie that came with my BSB and the Noodler's Creaper Flex pens I bought, I have little firsthand knowledge of other pens. Having hefted a Lamy 2000 in a store I can tell you this unit is considerably heavier than that. I'm not sure how functional the clip is. I can't really give this pen a work out as it is not mine and I would hate to "add character" to a pen that belongs to someone else. The converter works as well as my other Lamy converters, but it lacks the wee locking pins that the converter for the Safari type pens has... one must have faith.

Appearance and Design ... 7/10

This IS a solid pen. The heft that makes me wary of long usage also makes me feel secure in it's build. If dropped, I would be afraid of it denting the cap if it should land on the clip... but I would fear the wood floor would show a dent if it landed on either end (capped). I have never had an issue with Lamy QC yet (knock wood).

Construction and Quality ... 9/10

The weight sits well in my hand, and more importantly, if feels perfectly balanced in my wife's hand - unposted. The size is suitable to both of us. Capped; it is exactly the length of my Vista. Uncapped; just a whisker shorter. The barrel swells in the middle - again, just where it feels good in my hand. As the owner does not feel comfortable posting, I can't say how that affects the balance.

Weight and Dimensions ... 8/10

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6125/5982720565_3f99283502_b.jpg

Lamy Studio Violet LE by itspiv, on Flickr

The Two Tone 14K Medium nib is one of the selling points of this pen. I like the look. A clever and attractive design. It doesn't feel as nail hard as my steel Lamy nibs, soft maybe, not flexible. We have only used one ink in this pen so far, with Noodler's Eel Blue - it seems like a pretty wet line,a FAT medium... but that may be the choice of ink. I am quite happy with the performance of the nib but it does sing quite a bit on the Rhodia paper, and my wife noticed it in her Clairfontaine notebook as well. Perhaps the squeak will go away - I will amend my score if that is the case.

Nib and Performance ... 8/10

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6003/5983283004_f52552142e_z.jpg

Lamy Studio Medium 14K 2 Tone Nib by itspiv, on Flickr

As with most Lamy fountain pens this is a converter/cartridge filler. The converters are really all I know, and I am satisfied with the volume of ink. I wish it had a more secure attachment than merely friction fit, but I can't see the pen getting bumped hard enough to dislodge it. Lamy converters have, for me, a counter intuitive piston thread - I am always turning it the wrong way. Fortunately they are clear, so I can correct my error. I have only flushed out the ink that was used to test the pen... I can't really address maintenance yet, but I imagine it will be as simple as it is for my other Lamys.

Filling system and Maintenance ... 8/10

I bought this pen new from PenCity.com for $106.65 They had the nib I wanted in the pen I wanted at a reasonable price. This is going to be my wife's go-to fountain pen. I think it is good value for money spent. OTOH having the Fed Ex guy gouge us for another $31 at the door - not so nice, but that shouldn't reflect on the pen.... I think of it as a "rush shipment" fee.

Cost & Value ... 9/10

I am eyeing up the palladium version of this for myself after staring at the nib in this one. I really like the feel of the pen and the look of that 2 tone nib. I likely won't get myself one - but IT WOULD MAKE A FINE GIFT WITH A BROAD NIB (one never knows who reads these reviews)

Final Score 8.16/10

This is my first review - I hope it is helpful.

The purple ink samples should arrive in a few days!

I am fortunate that my wife shares my fascination.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• spiv

• penmanila

• Spector

• dfranks04

Thank you.

Impressive review!!

I like the color of the pen.

"It's simple to be happy but difficult to be simple"

Nice review, thanks! I agree with you about the Lamy 14k nib: it is a very large medium, and it is softer than the steel ones.

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

Violet just looks great on this pen. I'm sure the missus is thrilled =)

Yuki

http://i54.tinypic.com/16jj9fb.jpg

Follow me on twitter! @crypticjunky

~And the words, they're everything and nothing. I want to search for her in the offhand remarks.~

@ bk103 Thanks.

@ namo it is about as fat a line as my wife's regular writing can support (without writing larger) and that is what we were aiming for.

@ Yuki. She is.

@ nafi. Thanks and the only Herbin she picked for the first round of samples was Violette Pensée but thanks for the links.

Nice review and a great gift. I'm surprised you found it in Medium, I thought it was only avalible in broad.

Nice review and a great gift. I'm surprised you found it in Medium, I thought it was only avalible in broad.

I believe Goulet's has it in Fine it IS broad... and thank you.

I know there was a fine somewhere online...

but my wife wanted medium

Edited by spiv

I have just received my Lamy Studio in matte black with silver. I ordered mine with the 1mm italic nib as it makes me write my letters with more attention to the details of my handwriting. I cannot say enough about this pen.. so far a dream! I echo all the positive points, esp the weight, the solid German engineering, the wonderful "click" upon closing and the same click when posting the cap on the barrel. I use Diamine ink in Grey, on high cotton content off white Crane cards. Still, this pen,nib and ink are wonderful. The flow of ink is very nice (not perfect on my paper with the cotton of course, but on other papers, smooth and crisp). The fact that the nibs can be changed - and I have just ordered the 1.5mm italic nib to try,, I just love the masculine look, the heft, and ease of use.

I purchased my pen, and all of my things from the Goulet Pen Co.. Brian Goulet is great.

I am hoping your wife shares my enthusiasm, and I really appreciate your newly minted results as a reviewer!

beautiful review! thank you!

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

very nice pen thanks for sharing :thumbup:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Nice review and a really good looking pen !

I likely won't get myself one - but IT WOULD MAKE A FINE GIFT WITH A BROAD NIB (one never knows who reads these reviews)

I hope that SOMEONE reads it ;)

Give your 100% to everything you do ..... except donating blood.

I was considering this pen seriously for a while. Great choice!

~ Manisha

"A traveller am I and a navigator, and everyday I discover a new region of my soul." ~ Kahlil Gibran

• 7 months later...

Thank you.

Impressive review!!

I like the color of the pen.

hi there, i was reading that thread, and wondering where in Delhi i could buy a Lamy at a reasonable price. Since are from the same country and even city, could you tell me if you have any idea?

many thanks,

Abhimanyu in Delhi

Not in my budget. (sigh).

Love the color, though....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

that's a very thorough review, thanks. i have the same pen in charcoal gray, and i agree with practically everything you say. i got mine here in the philippines and would have preferred a B nib, but it came only in M. but it's an M on the broad-ish side, so i can live with it. will keep looking for a spare B nib for this one (i found one online from lamy USA, but it costs $75!).

Check out my blog and my pens

I also agree that this is a beautiful looking color and nib. Great combo! Hope your wife is happy. 8^)

very nice! I didnt know studios had gold nibs :D

http://i.imgur.com/EZMTw.gif "Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" -Aldous Huxley

Parker 45 F, Lamy Safari EF, Lamy 2000 F, TWSBI Diamond 530 F, Reform 1745 F, Hero 616 F, Pilot Varsity F, Pilot 78g F,