Magic Color Grecian Olive

fiberdrunk

I'm a fan of what most people would consider difficult inks and I'm not afraid to use them in fountain pens, or at least certain fountain pens. This is my latest ink purchase, Magic Color Grecian Olive. Magic Color inks are not new to me, but this particular color is. I wrote about Magic Color inks in another thread before and you can see a color scan of the colors that are available by this maker there.

First off, Magic Color is an acrylic ink made in England. I've been using acrylic inks (first Rotring ArtistColor, and then Magic Color when ArtistColor went out of production) in my Rotring ArtPens for 20 years and haven't ruined a pen yet. I don't believe there is a more lightfast or permanent ink on the market... my own sunshine tests have shown little or no fading of these inks. Even many of the Noodler's bulletproof inks I have tested have shown some fading of at least some component of the ink. Acrylic inks don't budge. These inks are also acid-free.

This particular color (Grecian Olive) has not shown any feathering or bleed-through on the few papers I have tested it on. The ink is highly waterproof (shellac-free) and pigmented. The only place in the USA that I know of that sells it is Paper & Ink Arts, where it goes for $5.95 plus shipping for a 1-ounce (28 ml) bottle that includes an eyedropper on the lid.

These inks can stain an ink converter, especially if left in them a long time. So I recommend "designated converters" per color. The Rotring ArtPen can be taken apart for easy cleaning and was originally designed for use with their Rotring ArtistColor acrylic inks (now out of production). The only other pen I've tried this brand of ink in is the Platinum Preppy (color Rust). It did stain the pen but still flows. But for best results, I recommend the ArtPen if you wish to try acrylic inks. This would probably not be a good ink to set a pen down for weeks or months at a time, so keep it happy by writing often. If you use it day after day, there will be no start-up problems and the flow will be reliable. An ultrasonic cleaner can be helpful if you become neglectful and ignore the pen. Normal flushing and good pen hygiene are necessary as with any other ink.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6009/5971659328_e3b05285b7_b.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6140/5971661608_a83b60dd6e_b.jpg

Edited by fiberdrunk

Find my homemade ink recipes on my Flickr page here.

"I don't wait for inspiration; inspiration waits for me." --Akiane Kramarik

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fiberdrunk

• USMCMom

• corniche

• rockspyder

I really like that shade of green!!

You would! :roflmho:

BTW, I kind of like it too.

- Sean :)

Hello Fiberdrunk,

I'm a little confused; is this ink current production or NOS? (The label looks '70s; early '80s vintage).

All the best,

Sean :)

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

You would! :roflmho:

BTW, I kind of like it too.

- Sean :)

LOL ... Yeah ... I need to get some of that green for my dippers. Shipping is a bit high, but not as bad as some places!

You know, when I was young, I used to think olive green was about the ugliest color in the world. Now I'm in my 40's and seem to be gravitating towards such colors! I like it now! (By the way, my Ameraucana chickens lay eggs that are this color!)

eta: typos

Edited by fiberdrunk

Hello Fiberdrunk,

I'm a little confused; is this ink current production or NOS? (The label looks '70s; early '80s vintage).

All the best,

Sean :)

Magic Color inks are currently in production. It's the Rotring ArtistColor inks that are no longer made.

eta: Here's a UK shop (SAA) that currently sells this ink and the labels look the same. Also, Artifolk. I do believe I have seen updated labels somewhere, but can't for the life of me find the link.

Edited by fiberdrunk

• 3 weeks later...

I found a cheaper place that sells Magic Color ink. The only place in the U.S. that sells it is Paper & Ink Arts (and God bless 'em for it!) but the price of a 28 ml (1 ounce) bottle is $5.95 plus $6.95 shipping... so that comes to $12.90 per ounce of ink.

But Artifolk in the U.K. sells both the 250 ml (8.5 oz) and 28 ml (1 ounce) size bottles. The 250 ml bottle came to $24.17 total, including airmail shipping... which comes to $2.80 an ounce. So that's a considerable savings! And they take Paypal, while Paper & Ink Arts does not. Another plus.

Edited by fiberdrunk

You know, when I was young, I used to think olive green was about the ugliest color in the world. Now I'm in my 40's and seem to be gravitating towards such colors! I like it now! (By the way, my Ameraucana chickens lay eggs that are this color!)

I would not like an egg like that,

I would break them all with a bat.

I would take them back to the store,

and would not shop there anyrmore.

I do not like green eggs and ham.

I do not like them, Sam-I-am.

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

I would not like an egg like that,

I would break them all with a bat.

I would take them back to the store,

and would not shop there anyrmore.

I do not like green eggs and ham.

I do not like them, Sam-I-am.

:clap1: Very good!! I like that, but I still like that color. LOL\\

Edited by USMCMom

WOW

very nice

But a helluva lotta yellow after glance colour there. Is it the scanner or the ink?

Holiness is not in religion. It is in compassion and right action in mind and heart

I quite like the colour! Thanks for the review.

(By the way, my Ameraucana chickens lay eggs that are this color!)

Man, the things I learn on this site! At first I thought you meant the yolks were that colour, and wondered what you were feeding them, having seen yolks from the palest of yellows (wheat fed) to pumpkin orange (corn fed) to almost caramel coloured (free range grass/bug fed), but then the google set me straight. The shells! How do those eggs taste?

Ryan. who now regrets skipping breakfast this morning.

WOW

very nice

But a helluva lotta yellow after glance colour there. Is it the scanner or the ink?

The scanned ink looks brighter than the original. Not so much yellow in reality.

I quite like the colour! Thanks for the review.

(By the way, my Ameraucana chickens lay eggs that are this color!)

Man, the things I learn on this site! At first I thought you meant the yolks were that colour, and wondered what you were feeding them, having seen yolks from the palest of yellows (wheat fed) to pumpkin orange (corn fed) to almost caramel coloured (free range grass/bug fed), but then the google set me straight. The shells! How do those eggs taste?

Ryan. who now regrets skipping breakfast this morning.

LOL! I guess I should've included a photo. Here's a belated one.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6146/5964131519_d2d3e0a9d7_b.jpg

The eggs taste wonderful, way better than store-bought. The eggs looks small in this photo because it was the hen's very first one. It takes a few weeks for the eggs to "get up to size."