Palomino Blackwing 602

trent

Pencil users revere the original Blacking 602, manufactured until 1998 by various incarnations of Eberhard Faber. Several famous writers used it as their exclusive tool---Steinbeck, Capote, Thomas Wolfe, Stephen Sondheim. Last summer, a California company called Cal Cedar---makers of the Palomino Pencil---purchased the rights to the Blackwing name and put out a "Palomino Blackwing," which retained the crimped ferrule and adjustable eraser of the original Blackwing 602. The Palomino Blackwing, despite its velvety smooth, rich dark lead---softer, darker, and smoother than the original Blackwing, even---was nevertheless criticized for not adhering to the physical look of the original (e.g. black barrel, white eraser, etc.). Its soft lead also required constant re-sharpening, making the reborn Blackwing less useful in the long run to writers.

Last week, Cal Cedar unveiled their second attempt to bring back the Blackwing 602---now christened the Palomino Blackwing 602. This pencil is a much closer approximation to the original, even retaining the original's famous motto stamped on the barrel: Half the Pressure, Twice the Speed. So, how does the Palomino Blackwing 602 compare to the original?

The barrel of the Palomino Blackwing 602 matches, uncannily, the exact grey color of the original, but is slightly thicker in diameter, and wider by a tad at the eraser. (I prefer this slightly thicker girth, which gives greater tactility.) The typography on the barrel, particularly the Blackwing name, matches the original but in smaller font. (Why not just reproduce the same font size?) Some of the original Blackwings of the 1990's had blurry, shoddily stamped text on the barrels; the Palomino Blackwing 602 is impeccably stamped, and the lacquer is smooth and thick. The original had a pink eraser, but the Palomino Blackwing 602 comes with a black one---an unusual, even perverse decision, considering how much work has been invested in approximating the original 602 in every other way. Luckily, Cal Cedar offers the option of purchasing pink eraser refills---they look better, in my opinion, and are closer to matching the original (which is the whole point, I think, of the project to begin with). Cal Cedar should seriously consider making the pink eraser standard, and the black one the option.

But beyond these cosmetic differences and similarities, how does the new Palomino Blackwing 602 write in comparison to the original? The lead is firmer than in both the original 602 and the Palomino Blackwing of last summer---it will undoubtedly retain its point much longer than both of these. Some smoothness and darkness have been sacrificed in favor of point retention---it makes a slightly less dark line than the original, and a substantially less dark mark than the Palomino Blackwing. Nevertheless, the lead is still superb, smooth, and quite dark in itself, and it will serve writers much better than the Palomino Blackwing because of the reduced need for sharpening. This point retention is probably even superior to that of the original 602. Artists perhaps will find last summer's Palomino Blackwing more useful. The original 602's lead was often graded as 4b. This new pencil feels to me at most like a B.

So, while the Palomino Blackwing 602 is not an exact copy of the original 602, it is close. A few little annoying differences, like the eraser color and the font size, can be corrected easily. In itself, it is a beautiful, high-quality pencil that does not dishonor its original model, and it is ideal for writers because of its improved point retention and smooth, dark lead. Having used pencils from around the world for many years, I can say that the new Palomino Blackwing 602 is one of the finest pencils for writers available today, and certainly the most unique in appearance. It can be purchased by the dozen or the gross. The box for the dozen is a close copy of the original Eberhard Faber Blackwing boxes from the 80's and 90's. The cost is about $2 per pencil, and well worth it. An original 602 can reach $30 apiece on ebay, and those little stumps that are Moleskine pencils cost $8 each! In comparison, the new 602 is a bargain.

This is a great pencil.

Cal Cedar did a wonderful job. Thanks!

Photos can be found at Pencils.com.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• trent

• lovemy51

• Rita_K

• XiaoMG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After an additional week of writing with nothing but the Palomino Blackwing 602, I am happy to report that my initial enthusiasm for this pencil has only increased. My small petty complaints about the eraser color and the font seem especially tiny compared to the pencil's outstanding writing qualities. (In truth, neither the pink nor the black erasers do a terrific job of erasing, but it is because of the darkness of the lead. You might want to keep a Staedtler Mars eraser handy for any serious erasing.)

I initially graded the lead darkness at B, but in the past week I have realized what is one of the magical qualities of this pencil: like a flex nib on a fountain pen, it actually gives you different gradations of darkness, from light to black, with only subtle changes of pressure. So in one pencil you have HB to about 3 or 4B and therefore a tool that is useful for everything from note-taking to extended writing sessions to sketching.

Point retention has been very good, requiring only a few more sharpenings than your average #2 pencil, but no-where near as many as with the first Palomino Blackwing. (And I don't mean to knock the first PB; the lead on that pencil is pure black velvet, only it is more strictly an artist's rather than a writer's pencil.)

It has been a joy to write with this pencil. The smooth and dark lead makes the words seem to flow! Again, it is almost like using a fountain pen. It is truly a writer's pencil. I rank it among the very top pencils of the world, such as the Mitsubishi Hi-Uni, the Tombow, the Faber Castell 9000, and it is likely to replace even these marvelous pencils entirely in my pencilcase. Cal Cedar is to be congratulated.

I use the original Palomino Blackwing for drawing so my experience with it is a little different from yours. I was totally prepared to dislike this pencil because of all the hype but find it is able to produce a nice deep black that has a lot less sheen that most softer graphite pencils. The lead is small in diameter so it is ideal for small areas. It's also great for sketching so I have been very pleased.

I got the Blackwing as a sample when I ordered a set of the mixed grade Palomino pencils from Cal Cedar. These pencils did not work for me as I find them much softer than other brands of similar grades and smear very easily. Not a great trait when you're doing graphite portraits. They do go down very smooth though.

My only gripe with Cal Cedar is that you are being forced to buy a dozen pencils not knowing if they will actually work for your drawing/writing style. In all likelihood I won't be trying the Blackwing 602 until they start offering them in smaller quantities.

Glad that you are enjoying yours.

Someone will probably start selling them individually on ebay soon. That happened with the first Palomino Blackwing. They'll cost about $1 more than by the dozen, but you won't have to buy more than you want.

Someone will probably start selling them individually on ebay soon. That happened with the first Palomino Blackwing. They'll cost about $1 more than by the dozen, but you won't have to buy more than you want.

I suspect Cal Cedar or the site that sells the pencils had a problem with that because I saw that the person who was selling them in smaller quantities was suspended from ebay for a while. I'm assuming it was because of the Blackwings as she had 100% positive rating and is back now minus the pencil offerings :(

Wow. I didn't know that. Well, of course, I do want Cal Cedar to do well financially with this project, lest we lose the Blackwing yet again. They must have invested a great deal to make this new 602. Can you imagine any mainstream pencil company taking such a chance? I can't. Maybe they will start offering half-dozens, as they do for the Palomino HB's.

I don't understand.

Even a #2 (HB) pencil smears like the dickens all over the paper.

I've always preferred the #3 (H) because it was cleaner.

Why this preference for B and evern 4B?

YMMV

So that you get a dark mark. H can be too light for many writers, though it tends to be nice and firm and with a long-lasting point. H is like x-f in fountain pen nibs, and can possess a hard scratchiness. B-4B is more like buttery broad nib.

One problem I had with CalCedar's first attempt to recreate the Blackwing was that the lead was not only very soft, but tended to smear and smudge after it was applied to the page. Does the new Palomino Blackwing 602 have a problem like this, too?

Edited by writebyhand

I haven't found it to smudge, no. This can often depend on the paper, of course. The glossier the paper, the more likely the lead will smudge. Being a firmer lead than the first Palomino Blackwing, I doubt that it will smudge as much.

Thanks to the generosity of a FPN member (thank you :)) I was able to try the new Palomino Blackwing 602.

I never used an original Eberhard Blackwing 602 so can only judge this one on it's own merits rather than on how closely it resembles the original. Keep in mind that I use the pencil for drawing and not writing.

The pencil is very nicely made just like the first Palomino Blackwing. A few cosmetic differences such as color, finish, eraser color but basically the look is the same. It has a unique look from other pencils and I really like it. To me the lead feels similar to an HB. You can get some nice light shading but with layering and a little more pressure you can build it up to a decent darker tone. It worked well on Hot Pressed watercolor paper as well as on Bristol Smooth finish. It holds its point nicely and there is minimal smearing with this pencil. It's nice and smooth and glides along the paper. All in all a good HB pencil but for me it does have some limitations in graphite art.

Would I buy this pencil ? Yes

Would I buy it by the dozen ? Absolutely not.

If Cedar Cal insists on selling pencils by the dozen perhaps they should consider doing a mixed package of Blackwing and Blackwing 602. The two pencils complement each other nicely when used for drawing.

I really appreciated the opportunity to try this pencil.

Thanks for the review. I'm currently in the process of getting a few and testing them out, even though I'm not a pencil person (I'm a pen snob), I sometimes need a really good pencil at times when writing things down super quickly.

In some things in life it's better to take a Zen approach. If you think too much you won't achieve your goal, wheras if you don't think and let yourself go, it shall be achieved with ease. I find this helpful in writing, kendo and music.

Thanks to the generosity of a FPN member (thank you :)) I was able to try the new Palomino Blackwing 602.

I never used an original Eberhard Blackwing 602 so can only judge this one on it's own merits rather than on how closely it resembles the original. Keep in mind that I use the pencil for drawing and not writing.

The pencil is very nicely made just like the first Palomino Blackwing. A few cosmetic differences such as color, finish, eraser color but basically the look is the same. It has a unique look from other pencils and I really like it. To me the lead feels similar to an HB. You can get some nice light shading but with layering and a little more pressure you can build it up to a decent darker tone. It worked well on Hot Pressed watercolor paper as well as on Bristol Smooth finish. It holds its point nicely and there is minimal smearing with this pencil. It's nice and smooth and glides along the paper. All in all a good HB pencil but for me it does have some limitations in graphite art.

Would I buy this pencil ? Yes

Would I buy it by the dozen ? Absolutely not.

If Cedar Cal insists on selling pencils by the dozen perhaps they should consider doing a mixed package of Blackwing and Blackwing 602. The two pencils complement each other nicely when used for drawing.

I really appreciated the opportunity to try this pencil.

That's a great idea, Rita, about a mixed Blackwing sampler. I hope that Cal Cedar is reading this.

Also, Rita, I think that you are right: despite the darker tones that can be achieved with pressure, this pencil is fundamentally a strong HB.

hmmmm, i did like the darker soft lead of the previous Palomino Blackwing... i guess i'll have to give this one a try, but...

if anyone here have both... can you post a comparison of the writing? much appreciated!

You know, I was a pencil geek before I ever touched a Fountain Pen.

The Blackwing 602s are legendary.

But I've found that the Mitsubishi Hi-Uni (carried by JetPens and others) are their equal, if not better. True, they lack an eraser- but I've sworn off pencil-bound erasers long ao in favor of those of higher quality available in standalone erasers.

Also, getting rid of the eraser seems to make the pencil feel better in the hand-- slight balance shift, perhaps? I'd imagine it would be substantial with a larger eraser like on a 602.

The Hi Unis are available in 9B to 9H, iirc. The F grade is darker than many HBs, but smoother and harder. It's rather smear resistant, too. Probably the perfect all-around grade.

The Hi-Unis seems to run about a grade darker than others, so their H is more like an HB in darkness (while still lasting longer like an H).

The also have triangular "penmanship" versions available with larger lead cores in 4B and 6B grades.

JH

hmmmm, i did like the darker soft lead of the previous Palomino Blackwing... i guess i'll have to give this one a try, but...

if anyone here have both... can you post a comparison of the writing? much appreciated!

Well, there's no doubt, the Palomino Blackwing is considerably darker and smoother than the Palomino Blackwing 602. It writes like butter, and it requires frequent sharpening. The frequent sharpening was irritating to writers, because of the many interruptions. The PB602 is the answer to this, but a degree of darkness and softness of lead has been sacrificed.

Well, there's no doubt, the Palomino Blackwing is considerably darker and smoother than the Palomino Blackwing 602. It writes like butter, and it requires frequent sharpening. The frequent sharpening was irritating to writers, because of the many interruptions. The PB602 is the answer to this, but a degree of darkness and softness of lead has been sacrificed.

i was afraid of that... i wonder if they will continue to make both -maybe it was mentioned in the thread before and missed it.

edited: i don't even like the look of the new version -hate the black eraser!!

Edited by lovemy51