Waterman Carene - Black Sea Ct

Vanrensalier

INTRODUCTION. Some time ago, I saw a Waterman Carene for the first time and instantly fell in love with the design. It reminds me of art deco design and I love the inlaid nib. However, I wrote it off because the price was out of my budget. Well that was until I saw Pam's price at Oscar Braun. Suddenly it was in a range that I could justify, along with an Urban Expert! I went from zero Waterman pens to two, overnight. Pam's prices and service were unbeatable.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_KPv6QmaoskA/TGiOXMYNbbI/AAAAAAAAAhg/n20bANvqpnE/s1600/carene-cbk-fp-f-2.jpg

FIRST IMPRESSIONS. I like the Urban Expert. It is a nice pen. But the Carene is outstanding: I love everything about this pen. The size, design, weight, nib and build quality are superb. And of course the bottom line: it is pure joy to write with.

FILLING SYSTEM. The only thing that is simply normal about the pen is that it is a cartridge-converter fill. Nothing wrong with that but not as much fun as a piston fill or vac fill. Honestly, all the other components on this pen are so pleasant, you can easily forget about a mundane fill. That being said, the Waterman converter is better than most with a nice snug fit and sturdy build. In fact, every aspect of the pen reveals build quality.

BUILD & QUALITY. The body is a luxurious black enamel over brass barrel, with metal fittings and smooth chrome appointments. Where the pen body screws on to the nib housing, Waterman set in two O-rings for a tight seal. If the converter leaked or came loose (which it wouldn't if properly installed) ink would not be able to escape until the barrel was unscrewed. The threading and fittings look like those on a piece of high grade equipment. Exquisite quality.

CAP & CLIP. The cap snaps firmly and securely in place over the nib and rests easily on the barrel when posted, but it doesn't snap. Due to the length and weight of the cap it stays in place without any problem. The pen is long enough to use comfortably without the cap posted. The clip is long and sleek and holds the pen securely without ripping your shirt pocket. (I have another pen that shreds the fibers of my pocket every time I remove the pen). Since the cap snaps securely, has a firm clip and the pen is long, it doesn't fall out of the cap like some screw caps do. (I've found my Pelikans and Truewriters to have unscrewed themselves and oozing ink into my pocket, more than once.)

DIMENSIONS. The size, for my taste, is perfect. The pen is long, weighty but not heavy and has a comfortable diameter. Length with cap is 5 3/4". Without cap it is 5 3/8". Posted 5 7/8". Diameter 1/2".

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_KPv6QmaoskA/TGiOW9VMGSI/AAAAAAAAAhY/mASIFCya3jk/s320/Carene+nib.jpg

NIB. The best part is the inlaid nib: 18 kt gold and butter smooth but rigid as a nail. It writes first time and every time without hesitation. Mine is a medium nib and writes a true wet medium line. I am currently using J Herbin Pearle Noire.

Note: the photos are stock.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vanrensalier

• markam

• greencobra

• watch_art

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a beautiful pen done up in black....all of it. And you did a nice little review, short, hit all the key points and I know, I had one for a while. But I disliked it for the same reason you like it, that wet nib. Maybe ill give another one a try later. I really want an Edson but who doesn't?

JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

Thanks for the nice review. That pen really shows the elegant beauty of black with restrained shiny "jewelry"

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

Great photos! I have one of these in blue with a stub nib. I find myself reaching for it more often than not for random scribbling. Love it!

Yuki

http://i54.tinypic.com/16jj9fb.jpg

Follow me on twitter! @crypticjunky

~And the words, they're everything and nothing. I want to search for her in the offhand remarks.~

Great photos! I have one of these in blue with a stub nib. I find myself reaching for it more often than not for random scribbling. Love it!

Yuki

Thanks, but I can't take credit for the photos - they're not mine. I think they are Waterman advertising photos.

Beautiful pen! This one and the charcoal grey - both look classic with chrome trim. Carene is very ergonomic and well-balanced pen overall. Congratulations!

INTRODUCTION. Some time ago, I saw a Waterman Carene for the first time and instantly fell in love with the design. It reminds me of art deco design and I love the inlaid nib. However, I wrote it off because the price was out of my budget. Well that was until I saw Pam's price at Oscar Braun. Suddenly it was in a range that I could justify, along with an Urban Expert! I went from zero Waterman pens to two, overnight. Pam's prices and service were unbeatable.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_KPv6QmaoskA/TGiOXMYNbbI/AAAAAAAAAhg/n20bANvqpnE/s1600/carene-cbk-fp-f-2.jpg

FIRST IMPRESSIONS. I like the Urban Expert. It is a nice pen. But the Carene is outstanding: I love everything about this pen. The size, design, weight, nib and build quality are superb. And of course the bottom line: it is pure joy to write with.

FILLING SYSTEM. The only thing that is simply normal about the pen is that it is a cartridge-converter fill. Nothing wrong with that but not as much fun as a piston fill or vac fill. Honestly, all the other components on this pen are so pleasant, you can easily forget about a mundane fill. That being said, the Waterman converter is better than most with a nice snug fit and sturdy build. In fact, every aspect of the pen reveals build quality.

BUILD & QUALITY. The body is a luxurious black enamel over brass barrel, with metal fittings and smooth chrome appointments. Where the pen body screws on to the nib housing, Waterman set in two O-rings for a tight seal. If the converter leaked or came loose (which it wouldn't if properly installed) ink would not be able to escape until the barrel was unscrewed. The threading and fittings look like those on a piece of high grade equipment. Exquisite quality.

CAP & CLIP. The cap snaps firmly and securely in place over the nib and rests easily on the barrel when posted, but it doesn't snap. Due to the length and weight of the cap it stays in place without any problem. The pen is long enough to use comfortably without the cap posted. The clip is long and sleek and holds the pen securely without ripping your shirt pocket. (I have another pen that shreds the fibers of my pocket every time I remove the pen). Since the cap snaps securely, has a firm clip and the pen is long, it doesn't fall out of the cap like some screw caps do. (I've found my Pelikans and Truewriters to have unscrewed themselves and oozing ink into my pocket, more than once.)

DIMENSIONS. The size, for my taste, is perfect. The pen is long, weighty but not heavy and has a comfortable diameter. Length with cap is 5 3/4". Without cap it is 5 3/8". Posted 5 7/8". Diameter 1/2".

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_KPv6QmaoskA/TGiOW9VMGSI/AAAAAAAAAhY/mASIFCya3jk/s320/Carene+nib.jpg

NIB. The best part is the inlaid nib: 18 kt gold and butter smooth but rigid as a nail. It writes first time and every time without hesitation. Mine is a medium nib and writes a true wet medium line. I am currently using J Herbin Pearle Noire.

Note: the photos are stock.

Congrats on acquiring your new Waterman's! Your Carene looks truly beautiful and I am sure these won't be your last 2 Waterman's!

I have a Carene silver meridians that I got some time ago from JML. The nib is definitely the stiffest I have written with but its also a very reliable and smooth writer.

Enjoy :thumbup:

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i420/Fahad_Mahmood/adf85b8e-ac76-49f5-94e8-b5173443175d_zpsdb9c20d3.jpg

"Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life,

the whole aim and end of human existence" Aristotle

Beautiful pen, I had one bought for me as a gift, It was the second fountain pen I possessed.

Mine's a red one and like you said it writes consistently and smoothly.

Im looking at filling it with diamine blue-black (im new to inks!)onceive finshed a bottle of waterman off.

regards

markam.