Sailor Tokiwa-Matsu 2010

saskia_madding

I have been obsessed with limited edition Sailor and Mont Blanc inks lately, and I have found a few gems during my quest. Among them is Tokiwa-matsu, a gorgeous evergreen colour.

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/Ink%20reviews/Sailor/Seasonal%202010%20LE/DSC08586.jpg

This ink behaves perfectly - no shadowing, no bleed through, and no feathering. A dry time of about 17 seconds doesn't really bother me if the ink is gorgeous, and this one is.

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/Ink%20reviews/Sailor/Seasonal%202010%20LE/DSC08587.jpg

Where this ink really shines is the golden/red shimmer that it has. Honestly, it took a lot of work to get a photo that did NOT show the shimmer, but I wanted at least a few pictures that showcased the gorgeous evergreen colour before delving into the golden red shine. Most of the pictures I took looked like this:

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/Ink%20reviews/Sailor/Seasonal%202010%20LE/DSC08589.jpg

Here is a close up shot:

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/Ink%20reviews/Sailor/Seasonal%202010%20LE/DSC08592.jpg

I took a lot of pictures of this one, so feel free to browse them here.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• saskia_madding

• jfp

• Algester

• elevennx

Looks very close to the new permanent member of the Sailor Lineup, Epinard, which I LOVE. Sailor inks have fabulous traits, and the shimmery/sheen aspects are drool-worthy. Nice review, thanks! I love the shimmery trees! :thumbup:

"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

The Poor Connoisseurs

So excited to see this since this is my next ink to go in a pen. It's beautiful. I'm not super into greens but I love shimmery inks.

"The pen is the tongue of the mind." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra Don Quixote

Thank you for the review! Your photographs really show off the shimmer.

Epinard is very nice, but the shimmer and subtle golden yellow undertone of Tokiwa Matsu really make it stand out for me.

Very cool, thanks for sharing. Now, where can I get some???

MelPens and Pen Gallery out of Malaysia are both still listing it. I bought backup bottles of Tokiwa Matsu and Miruai from Pen Gallery only a month ago.

• 3 years later...

Office copy paper may be the culprit. For most inks that give sheen you need a paper that isn't very absorbent. While there are many to choose from, I've had good results with Rhodia.

"The Great Roe is a mythological beast with the head of a lion and the body of a lion, but not the same lion."

My Personal Blog | My Creative Writing Blog | My Heraldry Designs

http://dcroe05.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/crestdr.png?w=100

Saskia - Great review and beautiful ink! You must stop leading me astray with so many great inks!

Rob

Nothing wrong with necro posting is you're asking for new information. :)

dcroe is right - paper plays a huge part in sheen. Rhodia dotPad paper will suffice, but of course Tomoe River paper is even better!

However, I do note from your sample that your nib is quite thin. Is it a F or M? Vintage pens also tend to have thinner nibs, so a P51 F is finer than a modern Parker F. I know you mentioned it is quite wet, but the key to sheen is getting a lot of ink on the page. The nib I used in my review is a modern M pelikan nib that is quite wet, so perhaps the width of the nib is also an issue. I'd try this again on Rhodia dotPad paper with a M+ wet nib and see what happens.

Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure of the nib size. It's like an Asian Medium because I own Pilot Metropolitan pens with a medium nib and many Asian fountain pens. Those are like an American Fine. I don't own a wet American M nib or fancy paper yet... so I'll keep you updated once I get my nib adjustment tools in and a decent notepad! Although, the Parker is a bit too wet, it feathers on almost any paper I own.

When I saw the ink sample I was like MUST GET... now... no regrets its a very lovely ink especially when Flexed (this is how I enjoy some of my inks) but man does the ink stain I think I'll be getting more HOPEFULLY our sailor supplier does not run out of stock because PHILIPPINES CANT SEEM TO GET GOOD THINGS... its apparently a "limited edition" ink in my part of the world ON TOP OF THE NEWS OF DISCONTINUED INKS FROM SAILOR :< also I used Canson sketching paper to practice my flex writing good stuff

Time to get some semi-fancy paper, my friend! :P

So.... I got some Sustainable Earth notebooks from Staples. The larger notebook seems to be slightly better than regular copy paper. There's more evidence of shading and less feathering. The smaller notebook is much better. Pelikan Edelstein Topaz sheens beautifully purple on it using an American "fine" pen but alas... my Tokiwa-Matsu does not sheen on it with two different pens. I tried pooling the ink just to see if it would sheen and I think I see the slightest sheen on the edge of the pool but just barely. I'm going to try and get some Rhodia dotPad but I'm starting to think that it's my rereleased ink that's faulty... Maybe new formulation? This sheen business is driving me insane. :P

Okay I looked at it a bit more carefully. I can kinda see a dark green possibly a hint of brown sheen if I write in print. I don't see anything as dramatic as the pictures you have...

Edited by jfp

I have a bottle of the new stuff I think, but I haven't tried it. I'll give it a shot to see if the sheen is just from the 2010 stuff, but I'd be surprised if that is the case. I've never tried the paper you mentioned, though. Did you try this on Rhodia dotPad paper? If you don't have any, PM me your address and I'll send you a few sheets.

I just started using this ink the other day, and it's really nice. In fact, all three of the new Sailor inks I've tried have been really nice.

My Blog: Inkdependence!

I have a bottle of the new stuff I think, but I haven't tried it. I'll give it a shot to see if the sheen is just from the 2010 stuff, but I'd be surprised if that is the case. I've never tried the paper you mentioned, though. Did you try this on Rhodia dotPad paper? If you don't have any, PM me your address and I'll send you a few sheets.

Could you try the new ink and tell me what you think? I'll try to get some Rhodia dotPad paper when I get the chance in a few months or so when it's convenient. I couldn't ask you to ship something internationally from Canada. The postage cost would be quite high. However, thank you for offering! You're truly too kind. :)

I have a bottle of the new stuff I think, but I haven't tried it. I'll give it a shot to see if the sheen is just from the 2010 stuff, but I'd be surprised if that is the case.

Would love to hear what you find. I'm considering trying this one out as my first green ink, in large part due to your earlier review and pictures.

For those who have the new stuff, how does it compare to the now discontinued Epinard? I had considered trying that one and didn't get around to it. Also, anyone know how the color compares to Herbin Vert Empire (which I *do* have a bottle of)?

Thanks.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."