Swan 4230 - A Flex Lovers Dream.

Malcy

I read many posts from members looking for a fountain pen with a flexible nib. Once you get past the suggestions for the modern stuff such as the Noodlers flex and the Pilot Falcon (which on anecdotal evidence seem to be very springy rather than true flex) suggestions of vintage pens start appearing. most commonly, the Watermans 52 and Swans seem to get the nod.

I have a Swan 4660, a huge black twist filler with a number 6 flex stub nib which is one of my favourites but you know that enough just isn't enough. :lol:

DSC02001.jpg

So let me introduce you to it's little brother (or sister) the Swan 4230.

DSC02201.jpg

At first sight it looks identical, save for the colour which is the much less common grey celluloid. Much as I like black pens, I think that the grey looks really good. The common look to this series stretches to the 44xx series pens with the number 4 nib and the 3xxx series which are lever fillers are also similar but do not get the fancy three cap band design. Size wise the 4230 is quite a bit smaller than the 4660.

Pen modelCappedPostedDiameter

Swan 4660140mm173mm14.2mm

Swan 4230130mm157mm11.5mm

While it is a decent size, this is not a heavy pen weighing in at about 14g.

The streamlined style seen on these pens is not new, appearing on the Sheaffer Balance many years earlier but it does not look dated. This was a period where technology had advanced rapidly and we were about to enter the jet age and in the late 1940s/early 1950s many products had a streamlined motif.

DSC02217.jpg

As with the larger pen, build quality is excellent with little damage to the gold fill or to the celluloid (perhaps some slight bleaching of the exposed celluloid). This particular example has what looks like plier marks on the section. When will they learn?:headsmack:

DSC02216.jpg

On to the heart of the pen, the nib. What a nib it is. This pen is equipped with a 14K gold Swan No2 nib but it is super flexy. After reading many discussions and descriptions on the topic I would call it a wet noodle. It takes very light pressure to flex the nib and it varies from fine up to 3B, maybe 4B. It certainly takes a bit of getting used to but is fun when you do. It does dry out slightly if kept nib up without use for a day but starts fairly quickly. Here are my feeble attempts with it:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g114/Luminarium/4230.jpg

Not bad variation is it?

The filling system is the excellent Swan leverless (twist filler). This filler system was redesigned post war and the earlier design is not supposed to be quite as good as this design. All it takes is a quick twist of the knob on the end on the pen of about 300o anticlockwise then back to fill the pen.

Value for money?

At less than £14.50 with a new ink sac it's a bargain, I see them go for much more unserviced (on ebay). :thumbup:

Conclusion

It's not a pen I would use every day but it has it's moments and it is a nice addition to my nib selection. So this is another keeper I think. I say to anyone interested in a flex nib that Swan is the way to go. They did make firm nibs (apparently) but flexy nibs are very common, the condition is usually good and ebay UK is awash with Swans often at decent prices.

Scores:

Appearance & Design 9

Construction & Quality 9

Weight & Dimensions 8

Nib & Performance 10

Filling System & Maintenance 10

Cost & Value 10

Final score 56/60

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Malcy

• adam11

• waterman1924

• smk

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Malcy, thanks for the very nice review.

These are superb pens for sure and the line variation is quite dramatic. If the pleasure of reading your review is any indication, these pens must be a joy to use.

Regards,

Salman

I just love this Swan pens, although I somehow don't trust to this Leverless filling mechanism... Very nice nibs, though!

Ahhh, gotta love em wet...

http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac65/officer_dread/SnailBadge.png

http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac65/officer_dread/knight11.jpg

Poor Knights of Christ

I just love this Swan pens, although I somehow don't trust to this Leverless filling mechanism... Very nice nibs, though!

It's honestly more convenient than a lever filler. Much to my chagrin, because lever's are my favorite fillers.

I have one of the 4220s in a deep dark purple. It's been begging me to let it out for some pocket time.

Sweet deal and a great writer! Congrats!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I have one of the 4220s in a deep dark purple. It's been begging me to let it out for some pocket time.

You need to let that baby out to play!

You may need to exercise a bit of caution on how often you flex the nib if it's 14K gold. I had a Waterman Ideal with a similar nib which had good flexibility, but in the end it split in half. Gold nibs don't seem to have the same durability as those made of steel.

However I did do a lot of writing with it, using it to the full before it failed.

Kind regards,

Pickwick

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

I have nabbed two Swans from Britain in the past few weeks, with plenty of encouragement from Malcy, and I have already got a Wet Noodle and a Super Flex! :cloud9:

Thanks for the nice post, I have still been too lazy to post my recent English haul! :blush:

Gobblecup ~

Very nice review, thank you for sharing.

Can you tell me - do Swan twist fillers have a pressure bar or just a metal rod to put pressure on the sac.

Thanks for the replies, these really are worth getting hold of. M T & Co also sold pens as Blackbird and Swallow, perhaps others. The Blackbirds are a lower range and also often have flexy nibs. They seem well made if less ostentatious than the Swans.

I have nabbed two Swans from Britain in the past few weeks, with plenty of encouragement from Malcy, and I have already got a Wet Noodle and a Super Flex! :cloud9:

Thanks for the nice post, I have still been too lazy to post my recent English haul! :blush:

You are welcome. :) I am looking forward to reading about them.

Very nice review, thank you for sharing.

Can you tell me - do Swan twist fillers have a pressure bar or just a metal rod to put pressure on the sac.

As far as I know, the pre-war leverless pens used a metal rod that twists the sac to push ink out and the post-war leverless pens like my pair use a pressure bar that is activated by turning the knob.

A question about the post-war numbering system, the 4XXX and 3XXX series pens.

The first numeral denotes the filling system 4=Leverless 3=Lever

The second numeral shows the nib size

The last numeral always seems to be zero

What does the third numeral indicate? It seems to range from 2 through to 6. It could be trim, nib width, type, stiffness or something else. I just can't identify what it indicates. If anyone knows, I would love to find out what it means. :)