• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mer6

• beluga

• FlatCactus

• Nonsensical

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

$225 for a pen that skips? No thank you. I have $2 pens that don't skip...Although, as a fellow student, I find it amazing that you can bring yourself to spend $225 on your very first fountain pen...to date, my most expensive one cost me $50, including shipping. :roflmho:

Good luck with your collection...I have to say that if you like CLEAR demonstrator fountain pens, the TWSBI will not disappoint...I love mine!

$225 for a pen that skips? No thank you. I have $2 pens that don't skip...Although, as a fellow student, I find it amazing that you can bring yourself to spend $225 on your very first fountain pen...to date, my most expensive one cost me $50, including shipping. :roflmho:

Good luck with your collection...I have to say that if you like CLEAR demonstrator fountain pens, the TWSBI will not disappoint...I love mine!

I've been strongly looking into it (both at getting a TWSBI and at potential solutions to the problem). Right now my temporary solution is that every time it happens, I clean the converter/nib and re-fill, but obviously this is not a time-sustainable process. I went out of my way to assure that I got exactly what I wanted (I had been eying this pen forever), and that's probably what made me the most frustrated. Usually, when spend a lot of time reading reviews and calculating for big buys (and small ones), it pays off. I guess, statistically, it is likely that I would run into something that doesn't work like this eventually.

Also, didn't mention it in the review, but to anyone who's interested, the ink is J. Herbin Cacao du Bresil. This ink also disappointed me quite a bit as it looked quite good on the box (I was looking for a dark brown that was still brown), but really was not the same as what it suggested. It's less of a brown than it is a light black-grey-purple (some suggested it as a sepia tone). This I don't blame on poor luck, I just forgot to research inks before I bought.

EDIT: To hell with it, I just ordered a TWSBI 530. I made ~$40 from selling back a textbook today, so I thought it was time to be adventurous. I ordered EF.

Edited by mer6

I've been strongly looking into it (both at getting a TWSBI and at potential solutions to the problem). Right now my temporary solution is that every time it happens, I clean the converter/nib and re-fill, but obviously this is not a time-sustainable process. I went out of my way to assure that I got exactly what I wanted (I had been eying this pen forever), and that's probably what made me the most frustrated. Usually, when spend a lot of time reading reviews and calculating for big buys (and small ones), it pays off. I guess, statistically, it is likely that I would run into something that doesn't work like this eventually.

Also, didn't mention it in the review, but to anyone who's interested, the ink is J. Herbin Cacao du Bresil. This ink also disappointed me quite a bit as it looked quite good on the box (I was looking for a dark brown that was still brown), but really was not the same as what it suggested. It's less of a brown than it is a light black-grey-purple (some suggested it as a sepia tone). This I don't blame on poor luck, I just forgot to research inks before I bought.

EDIT: To hell with it, I just ordered a TWSBI 530. I made ~$40 from selling back a textbook today, so I thought it was time to be adventurous. I ordered EF.

There are two sides to this:

Some of the Herbin brown inks seem to flow drier than their other colours; so you might want to try another Herbin colour if you don't mind changing.

I noticed that sometimes the ubiquitous square Lamy nib and the standard Lamy ink feed, which is also used in the Lamy Dialog 3, tend to skip.

I have discussed this with Lamy customer service, who were always happy to help out (by changing nib and/or ink feed), but it seems to be a problem that affects a small percentage of Lamys fitted with this type of ink feed. I even received once a letter from their head of technical design and he mentioned some changes that were under consideration at that time.

What keeps me from having my Dialog 3 constantly inked is the unusual weight distribution, which places more weight in the front part, and the fact that due to its design the nib is more prone to dry out when the pen is not used for a week or more.

That the pen costs more than TWSBI?

Who cares, as long a your heart was in it?

I used to own a Sterling Silver Parker 75 Chiselé when I was in High School and it was my pride an joy and I had worked hard for it.

Don't let anybody make you feel guilty about it - it's entirely your call.

B.

I too am a student and bought this over a pelikan m400 because I got a great price from Pam Braun (no affil). I agree with it being heavy but to me it almost carries itself due to the centre of gravity being inside your hand. I also echo other comments that it's not a pen to be used once in a while I use mine everyday at school and have had no troubles.

Though, when I had mine filled with Visconti blue, which is quite saturated, it would put down a very excessively saturated line for a couple of letters then return to normal after being left over night. When it was practically empty it would begin to skip due to presumably the extra air in the converter but it would return to normal after less than half a word. When filled with the highly saturated ink I needed to clean it about every couple of weeks just to keep it in tip top shape. Now it's filled with J'Herbin vert empire and the low saturation seems to negate the drying out problem, go figure.

Even though this wasn't exactly a cheap purchase for me (entire holiday's pay working at parent's shop) I can't say that I regret it.

There are two sides to this:

Some of the Herbin brown inks seem to flow drier than their other colours; so you might want to try another Herbin colour if you don't mind changing.

I noticed that sometimes the ubiquitous square Lamy nib and the standard Lamy ink feed, which is also used in the Lamy Dialog 3, tend to skip.

I have discussed this with Lamy customer service, who were always happy to help out (by changing nib and/or ink feed), but it seems to be a problem that affects a small percentage of Lamys fitted with this type of ink feed. I even received once a letter from their head of technical design and he mentioned some changes that were under consideration at that time.

What keeps me from having my Dialog 3 constantly inked is the unusual weight distribution, which places more weight in the front part, and the fact that due to its design the nib is more prone to dry out when the pen is not used for a week or more.

That the pen costs more than TWSBI?

Who cares, as long a your heart was in it?

I used to own a Sterling Silver Parker 75 Chiselé when I was in High School and it was my pride an joy and I had worked hard for it.

Don't let anybody make you feel guilty about it - it's entirely your call.

B.

I mean it's not guilt, just disappointment. I'll keep that in mind and try out another ink. I've got a bunch of others here, any recommendations? (Iroshizuku Yama-Guri, Pelikan Blue -Black, Private Reserve Black Magic Blue). Also, as for the barrel being sticky while turning, is there any fix for this (should I clean where the ink seems to be congealing at the window that hides at the front- I might take a picture for reference).

FlatCactus, yeah, I can't stress the center of gravity thing enough. It's heavy, but the weight distribution just makes it work.