Sheaffer Craftsman

Tommy

Sheaffer Craftsman

I found this one on Ebay recently, restored it, and have been using it for a few days. I did a little reading, mostly on Penhero. From what I have gathered, this was a rather inexpensive pen in it's day, probably near the bottom of the Sheaffer line.

First Impressions 7/10

This is not an imposing pen. It's not large or fancy. It feels light, but well made.

Appearance and Design 9/10

I don't like overly ornate pens, so this one gets high marks for it's simple, clean lines. I also like black pens with gold trim, another plus. The gold filled trim on the old 50s Sheaffers seems very durable. This one has no brassing at all even though the plastic showed heavy use. (I resurfaced the cap and barrel with micromesh and polished with a buffing wheel) The cap posts very securely on the back of the pen, something I can't say for it's more expensive cousins in the pictures, the Admiral snorkel, and the Valiant "fat touchdown". The section has a small ink window which has ambered and is not very useful.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn133/tom1415/craftsman005.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn133/tom1415/craftsman011.jpg

Weight and Dimensions 9/10

15.0 grams

5 1/16" capped

5 15/16" posted

Not a large pen by any standards, but it feels nice in my medium sized hand. It feels light in weight, easily maneuverable if you like to write fast. It's shorter and fatter than the burgundy snorkel, about the same thickness as the green Valiant fat touchdown.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn133/tom1415/craftsman014.jpg

Nib and Performance 9/10

This one has a rather small #33 14k nib. It's a full medium which I have reshaped to a slightly stubbish shape. It's fairly stiff, with just a hint of flex or softness. I've adjusted it to about a 6 in wetness. It's really writing well. Starts immediately, never skips, and smooth as butter. I would give it a 10 if the nib was a little larger.

Filling System 10/10

Sheaffer's touchdown filling system is ingenious. You unscrew the blind cap, withdraw the tube, immerse the nib, an quickly press the blind cap back down. The pressure created inside the tube compresses the sac. The sac then expands back to it's original shape, drawing in ink. It works well, and is very easy to restore. Just install a new sac, replace the o-ring in the end of the barrel, and lube the tube with a little silicone.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn133/tom1415/craftsman020.jpg

Cost and Value 10/10

Vintage pens are generally a great value, even if you have to pay for restoration. This one was $12.50, shipped. Sheaffer saved a little cost with the smaller nib, and the clip is not spring-loaded like the pricier models.

Conclusions

54 points / 6 = 9.0

A great little user pen. Not the biggest or flashiest. No white dot, no bling. Just a simple, classy design, well made, and a great writer. I plan on carrying and using this one a lot. (at least until the mailman brings something else next week :lol: )

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tommy

• georges zaslavsky

• Opel

• Mardi13

hey, Tommy, that is one clean pen... and for that price.... congrats and thx for showing it. :thumbup:

A nice review of a very elegant pen. I have a Cadet and Craftsman, love both of them.

edit to add: That Burgundy one, is it a Snorkel? It's lovely.

Edited by Taurean

Parker VS (rust)

Parker "51" aerometric (navy grey)

Sheaffer Snorkel Saratoga (burgundy)

Sheaffer Imperial IV Touchdown (green)

A nice review of a very elegant pen. I have a Cadet and Craftsman, love both of them.

edit to add: That Burgundy one, is it a Snorkel? It's lovely.

Thanks. Yes, it's a snorkel, an admiral.

very nice find :thumbup: enjoy your pen

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 2 years later...

Nice review and very informative. Like the comparison photo. Thanks.