Norcom Paper

norcom composition book. what great paper! no feathering, a little show through, no bleed through! fantastic! and CHEAP! This is going to be my paper from now on.

Here's a front and back shot.

fpn_1305940810__norcom_paper.jpg

And here's a zoom...

fpn_1305940941__norcomzoom.jpg

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• watch_art

• JefferyS

• Aquaria

• jasonditz

Yep!!! their looseleaf is not bad either. Should give them a try. I was surprised when I pulled out a random packet of paper and found it worked well with my pens. What did you know? it was Norcom's.

The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.

Blaise Pascal

fpn_1336709688__pen_01.jpg

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

Make sure it's the stuff made in Brazil. The Vietnam comp books feather something awful.

I didn't know Norcom also made looseleaf. My local Office Despot has their comp books, so I'll have to look for it there. The Brazil/Norcom comp books I have are awesome, although because they're so cheap, I'm going to qualify for an appearance on Hoarders: Buried Alive soon :rolleyes:

The only reason I tried the stuff is because a student left his notebook in my room and now he's gone on and graduated. THe red mark you see is one of the letters from his name. THe dodo wrote one letter on the middle of every page to spell out his first and last name. :headsmack: So I've been writing over lots of red sharpie. But I love this stuff. I'm not buying any more clairefontaine or rhodia. In fact, when I save up enough pennies, I'm going to get one of these...

http://www.google.com/search?q=composition+book+leather+cover&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#q=composition+book+leather+cover&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=8Nm&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=2LLXTeSuE-Py0gGhiLz8Aw&ved=0CGUQrQQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=5e329e188693deb6&biw=1582&bih=733

Unless somebody has one cheaper they'd like to sell me.

I love the Norcom composition books. I pick up stacks of them every year at back-to-school time when they're generally only a quarter a piece at most. The covers on some recent ones are pretty floppy, which is a disappointment...but the Made in Brazil ones have excellent paper inside, at least.

As for leather covers...for what it's worth, I love my Renaissance Art cover.

Be aware, though, that those made in Brazil are very different from those made in Viet Nam (as noted by Blemt), in Mexico, or in the USA. The latter three all feather horribly.

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

I love the Norcom composition books. I pick up stacks of them every year at back-to-school time when they're generally only a quarter a piece at most. The covers on some recent ones are pretty floppy, which is a disappointment...but the Made in Brazil ones have excellent paper inside, at least.

As for leather covers...for what it's worth, I love my Renaissance Art cover.

thanks for the link.

I live in São Paulo, Brazil, and I've not seen those Norcom composition here. :glare:

Maybe it's only for export.

BTW, Shawn,

You have greatly improved your handwriting! Congrat!

Thanks! It looks even better when I just slow down a bit. I have to pay attention to what I want to make sometimes, because I make many different styles of capital letters.

I went to the local Office Depot and found some of the notebooks made in Viet Nam. In the same bin were some brightly (garishly) colored notebooks that were made in Brazil, so I bought 8 of them (they are cheap). The ones made in Brazil do not have the Norcom name on them (only Office Depot). I didn't notice that until I got home. Fortunately, the paper seems FP friendly. There is no sign of feathering.

This placed me in an ethical dilemma. In the future, I would be tempted to pick up a notebook such as this, pull out my fountain pen, and make a mark on the last page of the notebook to see if it feathered. If it did feather, I would buy only that notebook. If it didn't feather, I would buy a pile of them. Inasmuch as I would buy the marked book in either circumstance, that should be okay. Still, with God looking down on me, I would probably buy one book, take it to my truck, write in it to check for feathering, and then go back and buy more if it didn't.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

I'd mark it in the store and not worry about God looking at me if I was going to buy it either way. You test drive a car before buying, and those things cost THOUSANDS of dollars. Why feel bad over a fifty cent notebook?

Well, it was more like $1.90. I just never thought of doing it until yesterday. Hey, some poor guy just got life in prison for his 4th marijuana conviction down here.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

Life?? He must've had lots all those other times. If it was only small stuff, his sentence wouldn't have been life. How many kilos did he have? Did they say?

Life?? He must've had lots all those other times. If it was only small stuff, his sentence wouldn't have been life. How many kilos did he have? Did they say?

St. Tammany Parish apparently has a "4 strikes, you're out!" rule. Apparently they think Anglola State Prison isn't full enough. We have people in Orleans Parish with violent crime rap sheets 3 feet long, and they are still on the street.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

• 10 months later...

Be aware, though, that those made in Brazil are very different from those made in Viet Nam (as noted by Blemt), in Mexico, or in the USA. The latter three all feather horribly.

Sort of weird, but you're right.

I have a Norcom Composition book that's "Made in USA" and it feathers all over the place. Oddly the 10 cent on-sale Norcom wirebounds (that I bought like 20 of because they were so cheap) are also made in the US and it doesn't seem to feather badly at all. Super thin paper though, so it bleeds like nobody's business, plan on writing on one side only.

• 9 months later...

The Made in Brazil - BizMart books @ OfficeMax are pretty good too. I picked up a couple recently for $1.00 each. (not on sale)The SKU is 22281157/MFG #OM03825

Whether the SKU is the same for the Brazil and the other source countries (VietNam etal) I don't remember.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Have you tried that with a shading ink?

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• 6 months later...

I've seen the Notabila Leather Covers for the Comp books at several seminars. They make a humble comp book fit for the executive board room. You should go for it.

There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are. - W. Somerset Maugham

http://wendyvancamp.com