C T F's Hit List - Pocket Notebook Review!

The full review with pictures (lots of them!) can be found here on my Blog! Please take a look!

Before reading this review you should get a general idea of what this notebook is about. Read this topic here on Fountain Pen Network. It's a custom made notebook by a great guy on the Fountain Pen Network. His username is CTF and his notebook is called Hit List. I was generously given a free trial-copy of the notebook for reviewing purposes. So that's what this review is about. These notebooks will be available soon on Fountain Pen Network so keep watch for them!

Here goes the review. First of all, I must say I really like these notebooks! They're very unique, very simple, and very well put together. For around six months now I've been using Clairefontaine exclusively for my pocket notebooks but I'm beginning to look for something else. My main gripe with the CF notebooks was such: They had to glossy of paper for me. It made some of my pens skip and took forever to dry. I still like them but I actually prefer rougher paper. This notebook has just the kind of paper I like!

I'll start with dimensions and specs:

- Notebook height: 5 3/4 inches - 14.7mm

- Notebook width: 3 1/2 inches - 9mm

- Page count: 16 sheets - 32 pages

- Binding: Staplebound with saddle-stitching.

As far as dimensions go I like them. They are very close to the "standard" pocket notebook design. I have no problems at all with the sizing. The page count could potentially be a problem for some others. I don't mind but at 16 sheets/32pages that's a little on the small side. Like I said, I personally prefer the smaller notebooks so I was very pleased! It all depends on what an individual is looking for in a pocket notebook...

On to design aspects!

I love the design of the notebook! The only thing I could ever want different about it is an unfinished, plain cardboard look. Like the tabacco color in the CF notebooks. Also, the book is saddle-stitched. This makes it very durable but it will never lay completely flat on a table. That's a good trade of though.

I love the CTF dock! Just look at the photos. It's a neat little feature for keeping your pen "at-bay" while not using it. It's one of those features that makes you say: "duh! Why haven't I thought of that!?" It's a really nice little thing that makes the notebook unique and sets it apart from other pocket notebooks.

Also, the notebook has a very nice "labeling" section on the cover. See the photos for more on this. It's great for this: After using up the notebook and putting it away with you large stash of used notebooks, it can get difficult when looking back to remember which notebook has what in it. This labeling system keeps this information right at your fingertips! It's a great feature. The info section has the following labels:

Subject:

Date:

To:

The design really is simplicity, which I love by the way. Less is more I always say! It's just black and white, minimal text, a simple yet good looking logo. It all adds up to a great design. Good job there CTF!

Now for the real test: The paper!

This paper is what I've really been longing for while I was using the CF notebooks. It's perfect for me. Here are th epros and cons:

Pros:

- It's pure white, but not shiny like the CF notebooks. I love this!

- It's smooth, but has just a bit of texture to it so it's not to "waxy" like my other paper. I really like the little bit of texture to it! It makes for a more tactile writing experience.

- My ink dries much quicker on here than Clairefontaine! CF paper takes ages to dry and it's really bothersome when I need to write a quick note, and then close the notebook right away. With this notebook my ink dries about twice as quick!

Cons:

- My big pens (1.3mm wet stub) do show extremely light bleedthrough. It's so light it can almost be called showthrough instead of bleed through.

- It exhibits a very slight amount of feathering. For me, this is fine as a trade off. You can pick either slow dry time, or slight feathering and faster dry times. I choose the latter.

- Here's a big one for me. Your only ruling option is blank. Yup, no lined, graph, nothing. Just blank. This is my first blank notebook and I must say I kinda' like it but I wish there was at least a lined option. I personally love graph but lined would be more acceptable than nothing. This is probably something that will be implemented in future versions of the notebook.

That's really about it for the cons. This paper is just what I wanted in a personal pocket notebook.

Main critiques for the notebook:

- It does have somewhat of a small amount of pages. This may or may-not be an issue for you.

- The ink used to print the inside the of the covers with text actually tansfered just a bit onto the pages of the notebook. This is sometihng that could probably be changed in the next version of the notebook. It's not a big deal but I would like it if it was fixed.

- There's only one color option and though it's not a problem I would love to see a plain un-colored version.

- No paper choices other than blank. No lined, graph, etc. Just blank...

All that aside this is an outstanding notebook that I will definitely be getting more of! Thank you CTF for letting my try one of these and review it! The notebooks should be available for purchase in approx. three weeks (around the end of May). I know I'll be stocking up!

Regards,

777Article Type: Paper or Paraphernalia Review

Click here to view the article or review

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jimhughes

• RedSox04

• OCDGuy

Top Posters In This Topic

My experiences exactly. I'm over the photo limit so I didn't go all out reviewing this notebook. You've pretty well summed it up. Curt is a great person to work with. I can hardly wait till I can buy them on line, to stock up. I use only XF or F FP's so I experienced no showthrough at all. As for the blank pages, I took a 3 x 5 card and used a Sharpie to make a template with 5 mm line height. This works great for me. Acts as a page marker

and a blotter as necessary. You can find lots of templates on line, and print them out.

This IMHO is THE notebook of the year. Jim

My experiences exactly. I'm over the photo limit so I didn't go all out reviewing this notebook. You've pretty well summed it up. Curt is a great person to work with. I can hardly wait till I can buy them on line, to stock up. I use only XF or F FP's so I experienced no showthrough at all. As for the blank pages, I took a 3 x 5 card and used a Sharpie to make a template with 5 mm line height. This works great for me. Acts as a page marker

and a blotter as necessary. You can find lots of templates on line, and print them out.

This IMHO is THE notebook of the year. Jim

Hmmm... The 3x5 card template is a pretty good idea. I may have to try that. I am finding however that I sort of like the blank actually. I think there's something "old-fashioned" about it somehow... I'm trying to get used to it and if I can, then these notebooks are definitely keepers!

I'm really liking the dry time on the paper in here. Just last night, I used a super wet stub nib with Private Reserve Sherwood Green (this ink is notorious fro slow drying) and it dried it up in a matter of 3- 5 seconds. On my normal paper if I get 10 - 15 seconds I'm lucky... I like CTF's paper choice!

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

I still have not posted a review :bonk:

But, as 777 said, it is

To hold a pen is to be at war

-Voltaire

i'm looking forward to these

So am I when they come out for sale. I like my trial copy so much I want to stock up on them. I think CTF said it'd be around three weeks before they come to the FS forum here on FPN.

Regards,

FPN%252520banner.jpg

I have to agree completely. I also like the paper in these better than Clairfontaine and Rhodia due to the dry times. It writes just as smooth, IMO, and has no feather, bleed, or showthrough with any of the inks I have tried. Even PR Velvet Black, which has always behaved very badly for me on everything but Clairefontaine or Rhodia, does very well. However, keep in mind I use primarily F and EF nibs. I normally don't like blank paper either, but am currently doing the same thing as Jim and it is working well. I will be buying these when they become available.

Edited by OCDGuy