Staples "sustainable Earth" Notebook

backyardpanda

Hello FPN - this is my first written review and my second post ever. I went and bought the staples sustainable earth because it was cheap and I had read some favorable reviews on its paper.

It cost 1.50USD on sale for 8.5 x 11 in size (100 sheets) which is decent. The paper is really thin and feathers a bit but not as badly as my other, cheaper spiral notebooks.

All in all the sustainable earth is alright - though I won't be writing on both sides of the page, at least not with my fountain pens.

post-69824-0-83600800-1303611259.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dwwst12

• stefanv

• backyardpanda

• CatBookMom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I disagree that only one side is usable. I use a Sustainable Earth notebook at home, and write on both sides. Yes, there is show through, but I feel that it's only very noticeable when the side you're looking at is blank.

Stefan Vorkoetter

Visit my collection of fountain pen articles at StefanV.com.

A pen from my collection:

spacer.png

I am working through a notebook now and can use both sides of a page without any issues. Yes, the paper is thin, but the show through is very manageable even with dark saturated inks.

I admit to being fussy about show through. I find this paper allows too much show-through to use both sides. The only exception is a few light colored inks in fine nibs. But, as I said I'm generally fussy and usually only will use the reverse side on 24lb and heavier papers.

I really like the staples notebook. The metal spiral binding is sturdy enough to withstand getting manhandled without getting all bent up and distorted. Same for the cardboard covers, nice heavy duty material.

The paper's not perfect, but I have very little trouble with feathering. There seems to be some variability from one notebook to the next.

Yes, the pen I used for this tends to be a bit of a wet writer. With a "drier" pen I could see how both sides could be usable. In my opinion the paper feels quite nice to write on - like it's smooth.

I don't love the paper but it's serviceable. It works fine with most of my ballpoints, but it didn't play nice with most of my FP nibs (too scratchy).

I don't love the paper but it's serviceable. It works fine with most of my ballpoints, but it didn't play nice with most of my FP nibs (too scratchy).

must be an odd batch; almost all reports call out the smoothness of the paper

• 3 weeks later...

+1 on statement that both sides of the paper can be used for FP; yes there is some show-through, but nothing too major.

I use 2 sides for snail mail every week, and my wet and flexy vintage pens like this smooth paper very much. No tooth experienced here

What works for me is writing on every other line and using the "alternate" lines on the backside. Then again, show-through doesn't bother me all that much. My bug-a-boo is feathering and I've only come across one ink so far where that was a problem on this paper (and it was a problem for me with that ink on Rhodia and Clairefontaine, too), although when I click on the OP's review to see the larger size, I'll agree that there's some there. Maybe there's something about certain green inks.

There are batch variations and sometimes variations even within the same notebook. The general consensus seems to be that those with crisper printed lines are less prone to "spread" and that has been my experience.

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

• 2 weeks later...

This may sound weird, but I swear it's true: The 8.5 x 11 size feathers, but the smaller size (I believe it's 6 x 9.5) is terrific. I thought I was crazy at first, but at least in the batches I tested, this was true. And the difference wasn't minor, either. Try it, and see if it works for you!

Recently I pulled a new smaller-size notebook from my stash and the paper felt rougher, on both sides. I couldn't tell any difference in the width of the lines, but feathering, oh yes. This is the only one of 9 I've used so far that was different.

Edited by CatBookMom

Paper is frustrating. I don't go through it very fast, so no matter which brand I find that I like, it seems like they change the "recipe" by the time I'm ready to buy more! And it's almost never an improvement.

I've tried both the 9x6 books and the 8.5x11 pad, and found them both to be equally good. The line width is slightly more than it is on Rhodia or Clairefontaine paper (with a variety of inks and pens), but absolutely no feathering or bleed through. So the problems you're seeing are probably batch-related, not size-related. I think the only way to get consistent paper is to buy Clairefontaine or Rhodia.

Stefan Vorkoetter

Visit my collection of fountain pen articles at StefanV.com.

A pen from my collection:

spacer.png

• 4 years later...

Did they change the recipee? This paper got really good reviews here and at Staples.com. So I ordered it. The feathering is bad. The show-through to the other side is awful. Has anyone tried this more recently?

thanks!

Did they change the recipee? This paper got really good reviews here and at Staples.com. So I ordered it. The feathering is bad. The show-through to the other side is awful. Has anyone tried this more recently?

thanks!

I picked one up a couple of months ago, and noted a fair amount of bleedthrough and showthrough. Stopped using it after two pages.

They must use different paper in their sustainable earth notebooks vs the blank paper. My blank paper is not smooth like Clairfontaine, but the ink does not feather or bleed through.

I also noted that the Staples filler paper made in Egypt is not up to the quality of the filler paper made in Brazil. So there is a manufacturing difference, with a different target point.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com