Pilot Custom Heritage 92

nicholasyeo

This is my third review. My second review was of the Namiki Nippon Art Origami Crane, and can be seen HERE.

My first impressions: This pen comes in a nice clean plastic box by Pilot with instructions and the guarantee.

I got this pen from our local seller DeScribe, who ordered it in for me. The service is, as usual, top class, and I was glad that

he was able to source out the Heritage 92 and get it to me very efficiently and smoothly.

#1 Appearance & Design (9/10) –

The Pilot Custom Heritage 92 Demonstrator is the newest Pilot demonstrator in the market. And it is surely something special!

Something fresh, because the current Japanese market is nearly obsessed with cartridge/converter convenience, even up to

pens of the highest level. It is nice though, to have pens like the Realo and the Custom 823, which has a beautiful filling system

and nice big nib. I went for my Custom Heritage 92 over the 823, after THIS thread, because pen size and nib size don't matter

to me, and I find that the black/gold parts in the 823 don't amuse me, because I like my demo to be absolutely clear, top down.

So that's a small introduction to how I got this pen, I actually do love the 823 very much, but I decided to save on the money as

there is no substantial difference between these two pens, and I like rhodinated finishes on my pens, which also explains my

Sailor Professional Gear Demonstrator acquisition not too long ago. With this, comes the part where I examine the 92.

What I like most about the Pilot Custom Heritage 92 as a Pilot-Namiki pen is the way they have adapted to make the pen very

modern looking and futuristic. In contrast to other pens, this one comes with flattened ends, which I like. Also, most certainly

one will notice the clip. The clip has been changed from the trademark design which tapers to a ball, to a more uniform and

pointy one. It kind of gives me the impression that Pilot has taken a step back from their tradition and done something exciting.

I was quite surprised that the inner cap has a protector that is greyish coloured to catch ink spills. In my Professional Gears, I

love the fact that I can stick tissue in and pull the whole thing out easily. Here, it is darker so it stays clean looking. Thoughtful,

but honestly I would rather sacrifice cleanliness and go for a totally clear pen. Why buy a demo when afraid of ink anyway?!!

I have, at least, my near OCD obsession with cleanliness which allowed my to survive a white pen and one demo already...

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/184086-which-demo-should-i-get

#2 Construction & Quality (10/10) –

The Heritage 92 is a very well built pen. It is made from high quality plastic, and I think it will stand the test of time. The plastic

is not something that reminds me of the Pelikan M205 I had in my hands, it kind of reminds me of the Sailor Professional Gear,

which has this completeness and weight to it. For some reason the plastic has to not feel too plasticky if not it will be terrible to

hold in the hand. The construction, as a whole, is very well done, as expected from Japan. I think the level of detail and great

precision necessary to make a demonstrator like this requires much expertise, and clearly Pilot has demonstrated it well. The

Custom 74 demonstrator still stands in the market as the viable cartridge/converter alternative for those who like convenience

and a slightly more affordable pen. The two are essentially the same, with the nibs and design being very close to each other.

#3 Weight & Dimensions (9/10) –

The pen itself is not very heavy, but feels like a perfectly complete piece that is easy to hold in the hand. It is of a standard size,

not overly large but neither small, just slightly larger than my Professional Gear. I am somewhat relieved that I passed this over

the M800, because I learnt shortly after that the M800 is actually quite a bit bigger. I like pens that fit just right, and are usable.

This pen is well balanced, especially so when the cap is off, which I like. I don't post pens for fear of scratching them, with the

exception of my well used and still strong white Professional Gear A-mode which has gone through loss, drop abuse and all...

If you love specifications, here they are:

Heritage 92 (No.5 nib)

Weight : 17g

Length with cap closed : 137mm

Length with cap posted : 152mm

Diameter : 14.7mm

Custom 823 (No.15 nib)

Weight : 29.5g

Length with cap closed : 148.4mm

Length with cap posted : 162mm

Diameter : 15.7mm

Pro Gear (Sailor 21K H-F)

Weight : 21.6g

Length with cap closed : 130mm

Length with cap posted : 150mm

Diameter : 15mm

#4 Nib & Performance (10/10) –

Well, this is the sad part. Though I must give 10/10 to the beautifully smooth Pilot No.5 sized rhodinated fine nib, I must also say that

I am quite surprised, if not shocked, that Pilot's huge - and the word is huge - range of 15 nibs in standard and specialty sizes, are

not available in this pen. The pen only comes in F, FM, M, B which is just nothing exciting at all, really. On the other hand, as a pen I

must say the performance is perfect, if not unmatched. It is definitely the same, if not similar to the Namiki Nippon Art Origami Crane

that I have as well, which has on it another 14K nib albeit with a fancier Mount Fuji design and more complex factory markings.

The nib on this pen has a slight flex/spring to it, a characteristic which I also observed on the Namiki. I think it is either the design of

the pen or the fact that it is 14K which makes this so. But all in all, I am going to turn this into a daily writer together with my Pro-Gear

Sailor, and use them at school because they are so reliable and consistent as performers. I guess this is what Japanese pens are.

So here comes TWISBI, in this game. Well, I still would rather stick to the Pilot F nib. Apparently, it is wetter, finer as well, as reported.

However, I have seen the recent posts about mounting the Pilot nibs and Sailor nibs on TWISBI and gosh... I have nothing to say.

The nib has markings on it, saying 14K-585 which refers to the gold content, and 1110, which refers to the manufacturing date, in

the month of November in the year 2010. There are also nice engravings on the nib, which add sophistication to the design.

#5 Filling System & Maintenance (9/10) -

The piston fill! One thing I really like about this Pilot is that it is a piston fill. It... well, filled my category for piston filled clear demo pen.

It is extremely smooth, it operates much more smoothly than I expected. Quite effortless. The only thing I see is that it's filing system

doesn't lock, unlike the 823. It will be dangerous if someone were to unknowingly turn on the mechanism while fiddling with the pen.

So apparently, the piston fill holds between 1.2-1.5 ml of ink, surely depending on how skillfully one siphons the ink into the pen. It

does give the impression that it is similar to a Pelikan demonstrator, with all it's attributes thus far, doesn't it? But the main difference,

compared to a Pelikan, is the single "lipped" piston. Something I like is being able to take apart pens. And according to a few of the

posts here, we can take apart this pen. Which is important, for me, especially to clean out the stains/ink in a demonstrator over time.

* In order to remove the nib section, simply soak the pen in hot water for a short while. Then simply pull out the nib once the water is

removed from the pen. The piston operation can be dismantled as well, by unscrewing. I didn't do that though, I was afraid of using

too much force and damaging the piston's already clean and smooth operation. So I placed a cotton bud into the pen body and the

ink was quickly removed from the body. Remember to align the clip and nib though, if not the clip will be at the side. That's about it!

Just beware, there is a small, circular plastic ring that is supposed to fit into the inner end of the feed. Don't lose it, it's really small.

* In order to remove the piston system from the pen, use MY METHOD. This method has worked magically for me, and I want to let

you all know about it - the rubber band method. Open the piston system (empty the ink first). Use a normal thin rubber band, tied

around the metal section between piston knob and body. After winding the rubber band around a few times, simply press hard on

the rubber band and turn. Make sure that the pressure applied is on the metal piece and therefore only affecting the metal section.

If not, the piston will turn. If you realise that this is so, you will instantly know that the process will not work. What you need to do is

to remove the piston system (as a whole) from the pen body. Once it is removed, you will know how it goes back in. A spanner or

wrench is really, not necessary for the purpose of taking apart the pen. Of course, no doubt - it would make it much easier.

#6 Cost & Value (7/10) –

Many people do see this pen as expensive when compared to the Custom 74 demonstrator. Well, don't fret. I got it at a reasonable

price and I think you can get it at that price too. I believe that it WILL definitely cost more than the 74 still, but the hype will tone down

and the prices will be more affordable. After all, this is no limited production model or anything and it shouldn't be made out to be one.

But there again, as a pen, it has fulfilled it's expectations for me. It is currently one of the rare few Japanese piston fills, and a demo.

The reliability of the Pilot brand as well as the beauty of the piston demonstrator system is something that makes this pen timeless.

Conclusion (Final score, 55/60 = 0.916666667') -

I see the completeness of the Pilot Custom Heritage 92 Demonstrator. I am happy to have chosen it over the M800, the Custom 823

and I do not regret buying it. I am sure that this pen will prove to be a consistent and reliable tool in future. The only sad thing that

Pilot has done is to limit our choice of their fantastic nibs. Surely nibs can be switched out, as long as they are No.5, but there is the

trouble of having to specially order parts and change the entire section. Well, let's hope for the future then! In the meantime, I will be

really enjoying my Heritage 92, with some nice translucent ink that gives it that touch of demonstrator beauty.

As I have said before, and I say again now:

Do voice your constructive criticism and opinions as you wish. I think there's always something to learn. I'm not that experienced, but I try my best to be accurate.

If you like to know more about me, you can view my profile. Thank you for reading this review. I hope it is informative and insightful to you, especially in buying.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w143/nicholasyzh/P1010441.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w143/nicholasyzh/P1010439.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w143/nicholasyzh/P1010438.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w143/nicholasyzh/P1010443.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w143/nicholasyzh/P1010444.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w143/nicholasyzh/P1010445.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nicholasyeo

• hari317

• Sidestreaker

• fpforever

Very nice review, how would you compare it to your Sailor? Mostly in the smoothness of writing?

The Heritage 92 is not perfectly smooth. There is some feel to it whereas the Sailor is absolutely effortless.

I think that this nib will be good for those who like something generally stiffer, with a spring to it. Sailor

gives me a very soft touch and response. Nevertheless, I like the pen, for what it is, a lovely demo!!

Thank you for your nice review. I enjoyed the process of your thinking.

I think that the single lip of the piston is an expression of technical confidence .

rokurinpapa

Thanks for the review. I have demos in the the 74 and 823, maybe I need this too. I have to say, however, that compared to my perfect and awesome masterpiece 823 the 74 is not very exciting, which dampens my enthusiam for the 92. Somehow I've resisted the Pelikan m800 demos for some time. Maybe I'll go to the pen store tomorrow....

I must say about the single lip, that it is perfect. It is so smooth yet it picks up nothing

less than a full tank of ink, which I like. The 823 is definitely nice, but it costs slightly

too much (to me). I love my Pro Gear Demo, nonetheless, it is the smoothest nib I have

ever used, and the build quality is superb. This Pilot too. You can abuse it while not

feeling too painful... And I too have resisted the M800 for fear of the nibs.

I think that the single lip of the piston is an expression of technical confidence .

rokurinpapa

I agree, the custom 92 is perfectly engineered and Pilot have got it "first time right". I cannot say the same about the 823 that sometimes suffers from air lock up, a problem that sheaffer addressed beautifully. Best,Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

rokurinpapa

I agree, the custom 92 is perfectly engineered and Pilot have got it "first time right". I cannot say the same about the 823 that sometimes suffers from air lock up, a problem that sheaffer addressed beautifully. Best,Hari

It's funny how strong Pilot has came out with this Heritage 92. As a matter of fact,

that "there are no faults" is a fault... People need something to talk about don't they?

Everything else becomes boring and gets taken for granted when too perfect... IMO.

What is an air lock-up? Is that how the air gets trapped in the pen due to the system?

What is an air lock-up? Is that how the air gets trapped in the pen due to the system?

Sometimes in my 823, even when the valve is fully open, the ink won't travel down across the sealing washer, the air bubble there cannot rise up, I have to shake it to get the ink across.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

congrats on your custom 92 :thumbup: thanks for the review

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Sometimes in my 823, even when the valve is fully open, the ink won't travel down across the sealing washer, the air bubble there cannot rise up, I have to shake it to get the ink across.

That is sad! I have no such problem here. Perhaps there is some resistance...

Shaking is a messy thing for a demo! Especially in the cap. No wonder... No

wonder the cap there has a black spill protector!!!!

• 3 months later...

I'm considering of getting my first Pilot pen, this review may tip the scale for me between 823 and 92H. Thanks for the review :thumbup:

My link

Life is like Chinatown signage, its cluttering, confusing but everything that you need is there, just have to look harder....

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/lifestyle/logo.jpg

Greetings Sidestreaker,

You won't be disappointed with the Custom Heritage 92. I fell in love with the modern edge look, but nicholasyeo's review tipped the scale. I purchased mine about a month ago. :wub: I now understand...

I smile every time I use it. With a MF nib it is destined to be my letter and journal writing companion.

I happen to like firm nibs and ones with some edge for calculations especially, but the little spring in the Custom 92 is nice.

Greetings Sidestreaker,You won't be disappointed with the Custom Heritage 92. I fell in love with the modern edge look, but nicholasyeo's review tipped the scale. I purchased mine about a month ago. :wub: I now understand...I smile every time I use it. With a MF nib it is destined to be my letter and journal writing companion.I happen to like firm nibs and ones with some edge for calculations especially, but the little spring in the Custom 92 is nice.

Thanks. I'm slowing starting my Japanese pen collection, and this is certainly on my list, maybe my second after my recently acquired Sailor Realo 1911.

My link

Life is like Chinatown signage, its cluttering, confusing but everything that you need is there, just have to look harder....

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/lifestyle/logo.jpg

• 11 months later...

Very thorough review, thank you. Must read it again later with more time. -_-

This is valuable information in case I decide to enter the world of higher-end Japanese pens.

• 6 months later...

Wow, I just searched up my own reviews to look at way after I got my first 92. I have 2 now, I still really enjoy them though not everyone loves them. I have three 823s also, two in smoke and one clear. I think they're all wonderful pens!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Other than the nib which I think needs more ink flow, the only other problem with this demo is the trapped water bubbles inside the end butt of the piston and the barrel behind the lip. I'll try your rubberband method once I've finished the ink inside.

Regarding the pen itself I'm extremely impressed by the quality of the plastic. The construction is really solid can can be evidenced by the pocket friendly clip and how secure it is posted to the cap. I tried to bend the clip to reduce the pressure to the pocket but the top butt didn't move a bit which is surprising given the transparency of the plastic.

CURRENT: Konrad, Ahab, Ice Sport, 205 Red + Demo blue + yellow, Bon Voyage, Custom Heritage 92 Blue, Sapporo, Modelo T - Black, Etruria Rainbow Yellow, Etruria Voyeur, Pearlette, Emotica, Olympio Midi, 360 Turquois Demo, TWSBI Mini and counting...