Danitrio At Nibs.com

Doug C

John Mottishaw (NIBS.com) is one of my favorite places to buy pens, and they give great service, but seeing Danitrios on his site now gave me pause.

I can't imagine buying any Dani's from anyone other than Kevin Cheng.

Anyone else feel the same way?

the Danitrio Fellowship

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• winedoc

• ethernautrix

• Doug C

• FrankB

<shrug> Maybe Mr. Cheng is the one selling the pens to Mr. Mottishaw in the first place. You're making an awful lot of leaps in your post.

<shrug> Maybe Mr. Cheng is the one selling the pens to Mr. Mottishaw in the first place. You're making an awful lot of leaps in your post.

I doubt that. Danitrio does have other market sellers out there; Kevin is just the best known on FPN.

There would be no sense in his being the middleman for this kind of transaction.

And, just how many leaps am I making? One simple question.

the Danitrio Fellowship

John Mottishaw (NIBS.com) is one of my favorite places to buy pens, and they give great service, but seeing Danitrios on his site now gave me pause.

This part doesn't bother or pertain to me. The more Dani's in the world, the better.

I can't imagine buying any Dani's from anyone other than Kevin Cheng.

Anyone else feel the same way?

This part does pertain to me. Nope, I will never deal with anyone but Kevin for my Danitrio cravings. This isn't against any other dealer or retailer (yes there are others out there, though few), it is just that I have dealt with Kevin from day one; I trust him, and I like him, so he'll get my business. The day Kevin says he no longer wants to be the middle man will be a sad one, but I'm sure he'll steer me in the right direction for his replacement - if that day should ever come.

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

Doug:

I'm lost. I went over to the nibs. Web site. Looked about, but admitedly not in ever nook and cranny, and found no Dani's. Where do they hide them on the site. I'm mostly a noisy kind of guy and just wondering what's going on. Being particularly in awe of your recommendations, if a Dani was on my radar, winedoc. would be my source. Can you point me to Mottinshaws Dani section, out of curiosity? TIA, Jim

I think it is great that Mottishaw is offereing Danitrio products. I agree with kiavonne that the world is a better place with more Danis in it. Anyone buying from Mottishaw will be dealing with a vendor of good reputation, which will in turn reflect well on the products. For myself, I will continue to look to Kevin for my own purchases. That is my personal choice since I have delt with Kevin for several years and I am very satisfied with his customer service. I also feel a bond of fellowship with him because of his activity here at FPN. Others will have to make their own choices in this regard.

Edited: Jim, your post led to me look at John's site. Under "New pens for sale," go down the pop up to "Other brands." There appears to be only a single Danitrio for sale. Whether it is a consignment piece or John is now carrying Danitrio products is actually hard to tell.

Edited by FrankB

Doug:

I'm lost. I went over to the nibs. Web site. Looked about, but admitedly not in ever nook and cranny, and found no Dani's. Where do they hide them on the site. I'm mostly a noisy kind of guy and just wondering what's going on. Being particularly in awe of your recommendations, if a Dani was on my radar, winedoc. would be my source. Can you point me to Mottinshaws Dani section, out of curiosity? TIA, Jim

Jim, it is listed under 'other pens for sale'. He says he can get any Dani, but only shows one on his site.

the Danitrio Fellowship

One is a full time pen seller, the other is a doctor who has a passion for pens and shares his passion with us.

If I was Danitrio and wanted to increase my sales (and maybe they need to so that they remain in business), I would back the pen seller. And perhaps Kevin wants to concentrate on his full time job?

Personally, I have had nothing but the very best of service from Kevin and would probably not buy from Mottishaw simply because he would not give the same value that Kevin has. That would be a loss for me personally but if going to a full time pen seller is going to keep Danitrio in business for years to come then that's a good thing.

Lots of "ifs" involved in the above...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2752/4371168844_35ba5fb338.jpg

Danitrio Fellow, Nakaya Nutter, Sailor Sailor (ret), Visconti Venerator, Montegrappa Molester (in training), ConwayStewart Champion & Diplomat #77

I've bought a few pens from John Mottishaw - some new, one used - and would feel comfortable buying any pen from him. He is a gem in the fountain pen world. I can't imagine why anyone would be reluctant to buy a pen they like from him and nibs.com :)

Tamara

Each has his own niche, this is how I see it. Not everybody who buys a Dani Trio is necessarily an FPNer or has to know Kevin.

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

I've bought a few pens from John Mottishaw - some new, one used - and would feel comfortable buying any pen from him. He is a gem in the fountain pen world. I can't imagine why anyone would be reluctant to buy a pen they like from him and nibs.com :)

Not at all what I was saying Tamara. I was just trying to gauge the sentiments that people have for the Kevin/Danitrio relationship.

I think there are a number of posts that back this up.

I love both sellers, but few but but Kevin would have come up with the Dani Fellowship pen idea (see Siv's lovely photo above).

I have a pen coming from John this week, and his service has been nothing short of wonderful. This was just idle curiosity as to the loyalty factor.

As Ethernautrix said: John=Nakaya, and Kevin=Dantrio; both brands that I love and own.

the Danitrio Fellowship

... I was just trying to gauge the sentiments that people have for the Kevin/Danitrio relationship.

Like others, I can't imagine not buying a Danitrio from Kevin. Hope this comes out right: I can't buy a pen just because someone is a nice person. (I don't have that much money. happyberet.gif)

Kevin is very nice plus: his patience, knowledge, passion, great customer service for things even small, and, uh, he has good prices!

Also think it's good that Nibs.com broadens the market base. As someone else pointed out, not everyone who wants a Dani belongs to FPN or knows Kevin.

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August

...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

P.S. In my mind, Kevin and Danitrio are synonymous. For me, John Mottishaw is Nakaya.

Hm, yeah, that pretty much sums it up. I'd go to John for a Nakaya. Kevin will always be my Danitrio fix.

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

Not at all what I was saying Tamara. I was just trying to gauge the sentiments that people have for the Kevin/Danitrio relationship.

I love both sellers, but few but but Kevin would have come up with the Dani Fellowship pen idea (see Siv's lovely photo above).

I have a pen coming from John this week, and his service has been nothing short of wonderful. This was just idle curiosity as to the loyalty factor.

As Ethernautrix said: John=Nakaya, and Kevin=Dantrio; both brands that I love and own.

Ah, I see. I guess I just don't have the same attachment to the buying process that some do. My attachment is to the pen, and as long as I get a good one for a price I can afford, I don't feel obligated to get it from a particular source. But...that's just me :)

Tamara

Ah, I see. I guess I just don't have the same attachment to the buying process that some do. My attachment is to the pen, and as long as I get a good one for a price I can afford, I don't feel obligated to get it from a particular source. But...that's just me :)

You just might when the day occurs that you send off a pen that needs some attention and you get a substantial bill for it (and that is NOT what I'm saying about John; he is great- I just got my Pelikan M101N yesterday and it is perfect).

It is just that I am sending off a Mikado to Kevin for some problems (and I might be surprised), but I would guess than he will send it back to me for the cost of shipping.

I think we are all carping about a number of sellers that are are stellar (hey, I'm a poet and I don't even know it...) that all provide wonderful service.

Danitrio is one of the odd guys out and I just wanted to gauge that affection.

Enough said.

the Danitrio Fellowship

In my mind, Kevin and Danitrio are synonymous. For me, John Mottishaw is Nakaya.

This sums up the previous status quo for me too. And as a repeat customer to John and Kevin I feel the same as others in appreciating both their great service and personal advocacy of the two brands. After all, without them I'd never have had the chance to take my enjoyment of these pens as far as I have done.

I certainly hope that doesn't change - we need guys like these supporting these wonderful niche products. But we're talking business here and I can't help feeling that a little competition is always healthy, and from a consumer perspective it could increase the choice of available products - which has got to be good. Hell, might even push down the prices a bit! :roflmho:

Edited by Painterspal

D A N i T R i O f e l l o w s h i p

I can't afford the Dani Trios I've seen on this or any site....or else they're barely within my range but I'm not prepared to take a chance for the price. :crybaby: In addition, it appears to me they don't have the nib I need....an XXF semiflex or firm, no flexy nibs!

So while I'm interested in Dani Trio, I consider them out of my range and not likely to be usable for my script anyway... :(

Nakaya Piccolo Heki Tamenuri 14K XF

Nakaya Ascending Dragon Heki 14K XXF

Sailor Brown Mosaic 21K Saibi Togi XXF

Sailor Maki-e Koi 21K XF

Pilot Namiki Sterling Silver Crane FP

Bexley Dragon XXF

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s320/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpg

I can't afford the Dani Trios I've seen on this or any site....or else they're barely within my range but I'm not prepared to take a chance for the price. :crybaby: In addition, it appears to me they don't have the nib I need....an XXF semiflex or firm, no flexy nibs!

So while I'm interested in Dani Trio, I consider them out of my range and not likely to be usable for my script anyway... :(

Actually, they do have a XXF. They call it a EEF and it is called flexy but it is barely a semi-flex. I think you are go to go.

Edited by AltecGreen

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065