Akkerman Voorhout Violet

Lovesink

So, here's my first attempt to do an ink review. I personally like the color (and the bottles!) so much that I couldn't resist sharing this.

Scrawler already mentioned in another thread that the Voorhout Violet color seems to come close to Herbin Poussière de Lune, although it is more water resistant then PdL. Unfortunately this ink is not on my shelf, so I cannot compare the two.

In real life the Voorhout Violet appeared darker than I expected from the sample on the Akkerman website.

I have this irresistible tendency towards staying away from blacks, "ordinary" blues and blue blacks and for me, for "serious" and "official" use, this ink comes to my rescue....:rolleyes:

Since this is my first review, I feel a bit uncertain. Just hope this is of any use. Please shoot if I missed anything. I made a PDF file since this file came closest to the real colors on my sheet without getting far too large. Still, the shading is not as vivid in real life as it is on this pdf!

(BTW what is meant by "spread"??)

Voorhout Violet.pdf

Passions need to be followed and shared

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lovesink

• Trom

• beak

• wastelanded

Nice review :thumbup:

The colour of the other ink examples indicate that my screen (or my brain) does not show the correct colour in real life.

I should Akkerman pay a visit.

Nice review :thumbup:

The colour of the other ink examples indicate that my screen (or my brain) does not show the correct colour in real life.

I should Akkerman pay a visit.

On my screen it needs a little less red tones, and it has a bit to much contrast. Sorry, can't make it any better than this. :( The violet is still quite accurate though.

• 8 months later...

Great review! I really like this colour. As said, this would be a good everyday colour with that little bit of difference. I'm sold. And I must have that bottle!

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

I have this ink, and I definitely agree with you that it is suitable for even the most formal use. My experience of it again seems darker and quieter than your review shows it - but screens vary so much - this is the most difficult part of any review: showing the colour. Sober, sophisticated, slightly unusual but not 'cookey' - a good all-rounder!

I'd like to put in a word for those bottles too - very good design. And when you realize how much they contain you see what good value the inks are. Since I also got the No. 13 violet at the same time, and have been a bit overwhelmed by that, I use it more than the Voorhout (No. 15) because it's so bright and stunning a violet! I will use the 15 more when my fascination for the 13 wears off!

Sincerely, beak.

God does not work in mysterious ways – he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.

I'd like to put in a word for those bottles too - very good design. And when you realize how much they contain you see what good value the inks are. Since I also got the No. 13 violet at the same time, and have been a bit overwhelmed by that, I use it more than the Voorhout (No. 15) because it's so bright and stunning a violet! I will use the 15 more when my fascination for the 13 wears off!

Question: When you're finished with the bottle, is it possible to refill it with another ink and take advantage of the utilitarian design, or does the marble in the neck make refilling impractical or impossible?

Thanks.

Question: When you're finished with the bottle, is it possible to refill it with another ink and take advantage of the utilitarian design, or does the marble in the neck make refilling impractical or impossible?

Thanks.

The marble is smaller than the opening, it is removable. I expect to be re-using these bottles for many years.

Thanks.

I would say to push it aside with a straw and that would leave enough room to refill the bottle.

Sometimes, if you stand on the bottom rail of a bridge and lean over to watch the river slipping slowly away beneath you, you will suddenly know everything there is to be known." ~ Winnie the Pooh

Nice review, thanks.

I also like to use "unusual" colors that are not very crazy for formal occations. I have a violet in one of my pens at the moment, but it is the result of a mixture I made myself.

I just visited the Akkerman website and gave a look at the other colors they offer, and I find green a good option for me.

Thanks again!

Hey Lovesink,

You could place your review in the Ink Review Forum. There are several Akkerman ink reviews there.

Best regards, Tim

• 1 month later...

My experience of it again seems darker and quieter than your review shows it - but screens vary so much - this is the most difficult part of any review: showing the colour.

You are quite right. It wasn't the screen, but the scanning equipment that is programmed to adjust the image without a decent possibility to take control.....:hmm1:Like I said in the review, on my paper it almost looks like dark gray at first sight, and the shading is not as remarkable as it is on the screen. Still love this ink though.