Stipula Passaporto

StipulaLamy

Stipula Passaporto Italic Nib Clear Body

This a neat little pen to carry around or just leave sitting on your desk. I ordered my pen from the Fountain Pen Hospital and they provided me with great service. I use to order from Jetpens.com but after an unpleasant experience with the company I switched over to Fountain Pen Hospital and so far so good.

The pen looks neat with it's small size and when I first saw it I thought it looked a bit cheap....but after filling it with J. Herbin Bleu Pervenche I changed my mind. Once you post the cap on the back of the pen it fits comfortably in the hand for writing. But I don't like that I can't screw the cap on the bottom on the pen. I have to push it onto the back of the pen for it to stay. After writing for an extended period of time the pen does become uncomfortable. It writes very smooth, definitely smoother than my Lamy(M), and Pilot Prera(I). It is heavier than my Pilot Petit.

In the 2 pictures of just the barrel of the pen hopefully you can see where it cracked on the inside somehow. The pen is not leaking ink out of the body which is good but i'm not happy with my pen cracking as it did. It happened after it got sprayed with some Lysol. It was on the counter and I forgot about it while spraying it down. I don't know if it's some kind of chemical reaction going on or what. Maybe later on today I will put 2 and 2 together and figure out how it got cracked yesterday.

Overall I give it a B.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StipulaLamy

• Sketchy

• Bluefinntuna

• mirosc

Thanks for the review. Considering that the new FPN pen might be a Passaporto, it's good to have reviews and opinions on this pen.

In some things in life it's better to take a Zen approach. If you think too much you won't achieve your goal, wheras if you don't think and let yourself go, it shall be achieved with ease. I find this helpful in writing, kendo and music.

I know have three of these little pens and love them! On my pens by the way, you can screw the cap onto the bottom of the pen to make it longer and easier to write with. I hasten to add though, that on one of them it's easy to cross thread the two pieces when doing this so one has to be careful. They're wonderful little pens though and write so very well! I recommend them to anyone.

skyppere

This reminds me a lot of the Pilot Petit1 so I have to wonder how it compares in the amount of ink that it holds and also in durability. Any info in those areas?

I'm a Classics student at Augustana College. You can read my blog at pennedhouse.blogspot.com if you want. There will be plenty about languages, pens (modern and vintage) and paper as well. Hope you stop by and comment!

This reminds me a lot of the Pilot Petit1 so I have to wonder how it compares in the amount of ink that it holds and also in durability. Any info in those areas?

I compared the two and if you turned the Pilot Petit1 into an eyedropper it would hold less ink than the Stipula Passaporto. From the bottom to the start of the threads on both pens, the Stipula is longer and wider than the Pilot Petit1. I did a bend test that I do with pencils sometimes before they break, and I can tell that it would be easier to break the Pilot Petit1. Both are good pens it just depends on what you are looking for.

Coincidentally, I just got one of these yesterday from Fountain Pen Hospital. It's the latest LE, a tortoise.

As for durability I can't answer yet. But on ink capacity - it holds a LOT of ink. Somewhere around 4x the amount of ink that's in a cartridge, maybe more. It comes with a glass eyedropper for filling. (or, you can use it with a standard cartridge if you like...it also comes with one cart.)

Mine has an italic nib. It was a little hard to get started at first, even after I flushed it with water for awhile. But now that it's started, it has been running very smoothly. I would place it somewhere between a crisp italic and a cursive...it's got sharp lines, but it doesn't 'catch' on the paper and isn't too fussy about the angle at which it's held.

I really like this little gem so far. Cute as a button, and it writes very nicely. I hope that it wins the poll for the FPN 2011 pen, because I want an excuse to buy another ;)

I really like this little gem so far. Cute as a button, and it writes very nicely. I hope that it wins the poll for the FPN 2011 pen, because I want an excuse to buy another ;)

+1!

Hello,

I have just ordered mine with the italic nib.

B.

Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain

Thanks for the review. I just ordered one and it will be several firsts for me. First Italian pen, first italic, and first eyedropper.

Hx with Passaporto ; bought pen...filled it...wrote with it...pen leaked ink into the section... sequestered there & impossible to flush...brought pen back...bought Pel 205 clear blue italic...happier with the piston filler at a lower price point + can order other nibs for it ...ad lib. PS...realized I'm not into the eyedropper thing any more.PSS...ordered a Visconti Rembrandt Eco-roller..used up cart ink...syringe filled empty cart with Herbin ink...htapis! What a great pr of pens.

Edited by SnowLeopard

Hx with Passaporto ; bought pen...filled it...wrote with it...pen leaked ink into the section... sequestered there & impossible to flush...brought pen back...bought Pel 205 clear blue italic...happier with the piston filler at a lower price point + can order other nibs for it ...ad lib. PS...realized I'm not into the eyedropper thing any more.PSS...ordered a Visconti Rembrandt Eco-roller..used up cart ink...syringe filled empty cart with Herbin ink...htapis! What a great pr of pens.

Which holds more ink your piston filler Pel 205 or the Passaporto or the Visconti Rembrandt Eco-roller (what kind of cart are you using with it)? I just got a Visconti Rembrandt but the fountain pen version and right now I use the waterman long carts.

• 2 months later...

Well I'm glad I've read all your comments concerning this little pen. I've ordered two of the FPN Limited Edtion Passaportos, one in the Chrome trim ith a Fine Point, the other in the gold trim with the Medium Point. Looking forward to getting them, (perhaps by early August, 2011?). I do not have any 'eye-dropper' pens so that part will be a new experience in fountain pen types for me.

Lou

• 4 months later...

I am looking for a pen to carry in my pants pocket when I don't have a shirt pocket. Is this the one?

Every review says so.

Greetings,

Michael

I was concerned about the finish on my passaporto when carried in my pocket or even in a bag so I made a sleeve from two layers of fabric, a faux snakeskin shell with a satin liner. I don't actually have control of the sewing machine so it's not a great sleeve but it works to protect the pen. The tapered, rounded shape of the pen make it perfect to squeeze the closed end of the sleeve and the pen pops out into my hand.

fpn_1320033813__passaporto02.jpg

fpn_1320033775__passaporto01.jpg

Fred

I really like my Passaporto (Miami Sunrise). I can write with it whether posted or not, but it is more comfortable to write with posted. So far, I have been using the cartridge supplied. One of these days, I will try it as an eye dropper. The only thing I am concern about is the tiny o-ring in the body. It seems fragile. I have greased it with DC 111, but it still bugs me.