A Montblanc 146 That Should Not Exist..

penboard.de

Hello to the MB Forum,

Here is a pen, that according to what I was taught by many, should not exist.

It was said, MB stopped making 146 pens at the end of the celluloid period.

and then started again making them in 1974.

General belief was: Only the 149 was made without interruption from the 50ies to today.

Now look at this one:

This is a very early version of a precious resin 146, made beginning of the 60ies.

It combines 1950ies and 1960ies elements. But its all made from resin.

no celluloid.

This 146 now features a 1950ies nib and nib unit, a grip section similar to the transitional Montblanc 144 that was made end of 50ies.

It also shows a blue inkwindow, typical for MBs from the late 50ies, e.g. 344 pens.

The cap top as well is mounted the 1950ies manner, screwed into the cap - while later versions have the cap top fixed with a metal screw from inside the cap.

And, most significant, the rolled gold ring near the turning knob is the rounded version as it was used on the 1950ies pens, and as well on the early 60ies 149 resin pens.

To see how the common resin 146 looks like - see item 06649 on penboard. or check the picture directly: http://www.penboard.de/shop/pb/6649g.jpg

The nib from the 50ies is a wonderful oB nib, soft and flexible.

Inkfeed and feeder housing is the 50ies type as well.

http://www.penboard.de/shop/pb/3329g.jpg

Best regards

Tom Westerich

Tom Westerich

See whats newly listed on PENBOARD.DE

email: twesterich@penboard.de

Abruzzo/Italy and Hamburg/Germany

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Michael R.

• penboard.de

• niksch

• AlohaLani787

I have one of those! It's awesome!

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

This is a very interesting pen. Many thanks for showing!

One day I'll add one to my collection.

Do you know if this pen was regularly available in stores or even listed in catalogs or order-lists or do only few prototype / internal trial models exist?

Cheers

Michael

This is a very interesting pen. Many thanks for showing!

One day I'll add one to my collection.

Do you know if this pen was regularly available in stores or even listed in catalogs or order-lists or do only few prototype / internal trial models exist?

Cheers

Michael

Hello Michael,

well, of course no trace in catalogues.

My first guess was - "its made from parts, that were simply made to do repairs" Same as you find MB safety filler pens (originally from hard rubber) equipped with so called repair-caps - made from celluloid in the 40ies.

But then, I found three already of this type, and they were not a mix of parts, they were made as complete pens.

so, sure they were sold in shops, but obviously in very low numbers.

Best regards

Tom

Tom Westerich

Beautiful 146! I like the clean, straight section without the little end ring. And the bright blue ink window. Simple and elegant.

These vintage pens cannot be beat!

Beautiful 146! I like the clean, straight section without the little end ring.

Are you confusing this with another pen? 146s never had a section or end ring.

Thank a Veteran.

Beautiful 146! I like the clean, straight section without the little end ring.

Are you confusing this with another pen? 146s never had a section or end ring.

OH NO,

look at this one from the 80ies,

the regular 146 has a dark grey collar at the end of the section, created by the protruding part of the nib unit.

Regards

Tom

http://www.penboard.de/shop/pb/6649g.jpg

Tom Westerich

Collar, yes, thanks Tom, that is the term I was searching for when I said "little end ring". :thumbup:

Sorry Eric, bad terminology on my part.

I am not fond of those collars, one small reason why my preference goes to vintage 146s and 149s with the cleaner looking sections/sleeves.

Great looking pen Tom. I would trade my fifties celluloid for that one.

Cheers'

greg

Edited by karmakoda

Tom, let us discuss about this version of the 146 in Rome...

kind regards

Max

HANDMADE PENS : www.astoriapen.hamburg ; REPAIRSERVICE : www.maxpens.de ; by MONTBLANC recommended repair service for antique pens

Tom, let us discuss about this version of the 146 in Rome...

kind regards

Max

OK I will bring it - and the keys to take it apart... :-)

Tom

Tom Westerich

Here are pics of mine! Same rounded piston ring too, but the piston is a threaded piston...not friction fit.

DSC01891.JPG

DSC01892.JPG

DSC01893.JPG

Edited by niksch

Thank a Veteran.

Here are pics of mine! Same rounded piston ring too, but the piston is a threaded piston...not friction fit.

DSC01891.JPG

DSC01892.JPG

DSC01893.JPG

Your pen looks very nice, :thumbup: I wish I have one like yours. Cheers! Htin

Patron of Art Marquise de Pompadour 2001 LE 0043/4810.

Donation SE John Lennon Imagine FP (M) Nib Serial No.BW195873

Donation LE Johann Sebastian Bach 2001(M) Nib. serial no. 2892/12000.

Donation SE Yehudi Menuhin No 3772 (EF)Nib

Writers Limited Edition Mark Twain 2010(M)Nib. serial no.3633/12000.

1985 Meisterstuck 149(EF) & Modern149(OB), 147 Traveler (M) Sp.Edition 1970-1995 Warner Bros Music Artist 146 (M). Mozart (F). 144 Stainless Steel Doue (M), Le Boherme Rouge(M)

• 7 years later...

Hello Tom and fellow MB lovers ...

This 146 I have has me puzzled for some time. It has most of the charateristics of the 'transitional' model tom describes, but also some of the '70s models...

Mine has a split ebonite feed, a collar ring at the end of the section and a flat ring at the piston knob.

So ... would it then be a 'late' transitional model or is it a transitional that has been repaired 1ith '70s parts?

Your knowlegde and opinions are much appreciated ... photo's are below ...

4.jpg
3.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg
Edited by ceac

Interesting pen ... to me this always would have been the first generation version of the „modern era“ resin pen (14C nib and straight section collar; not the sloghtly angled one like on later versions).

Do you know if the barrel/section is „one piece“ or separate parts?

What is interesting is the two-tone 14C nib and the old construction cap top!

I believe the transitional model is a mich different stand alone version.

I really need to get my information and pictures together on all the 146 versions...

But the pen you show is very nice! I need to compare some details to the one I have.

Cheers

Michael

One is so used at seeing the 146 with a flaring section (celluloids) or with the protruding collar (modern), that your pens with the straight section seem lacking something...

Great pens you have shown here, and the blue window is really so Fifties!

The nibs of such pens must be a dream to write with.

Thank you, Tom and niksch!

Great to see this thread, again!

Superb pens from Tom and niksch. That section is very elegant and clean. Can't think why they opted for the collared design. (Over the years, I've had more problems with 146 collars, than with any other part of the pen.)

I would love one of the transitionals as a daily user.

Thanks for sharing.

Edited by CS388