Just Made My First Vegan Sealing Wax Sample

veganmark

Woot Woot. I'm stoked. Have been playing with various plant-based waxes to get right combo then I can start experimenting with colors. I don't have a jpeg to show you for the moment because I'm still a working sample. So, of course I need to keep experimenting till I get the right balance between hard and soft. So far I've been playing with palm wax, soy wax and candelia wax and I almost have the right mixture. Now I need to experiment with colors. I'm been playing with fresh fruit juice blended with vinegar for a stabilizer. So the tests continue. I'll be sure to post some jpegs. of my sealing wax as soon as they've been fully tested and I have a few colors available.

Marcos

Be nice, cause wherever you go...there you are!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• professionaldilettante

• stuartk

• veganmark

• inkyblot

Top Posters In This Topic

I just want to point out one thing: colors that are soluble in water will only dissolve in water. Like dissolves like, remember? No matter how long you're going to stew juice and wax together, it's not going to mix. You're going to have to look towards some synthetic oil soluble dyes, preferably without a liquid carrier.

The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.

Blaise Pascal

fpn_1336709688__pen_01.jpg

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

I'm guessing shellac is in it, and that comes from lac bugs.

So what's wrong with beeswax or shellac?

The best way to answer this is to look up Veganism and learn what it entails. It wouldn't take much - I'm sure a wikipedia article would cover the basics without starting a long discussion here that would likely bring out the pro-anti battle and end up in an ugly thread. It differs from vegetarian practices.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

The best way to answer this is to look up Veganism and learn what it entails. It wouldn't take much - I'm sure a wikipedia article would cover the basics without starting a long discussion here that would likely bring out the pro-anti battle and end up in an ugly thread. It differs from vegetarian practices.

You're right. I just looked it up and I see what you mean.