Parker Premier Black Edition

SHK

Hello,

I want to introduce the Parker Premier Black Edition to our community.

Appearance & Design

My first impression: It looks like a stealth fountain pen.

The Parker Premier has in general a straightforward design.

The 18c gold nib is ruthenium platted, while the barrel and the cap have a black (graphite) brushed finish.

All trims are matt black as well, so that the pen has one tone.

Construction & Quality

Every part of this pen is made very precisely.

Especially I like the workmanship of the grip section and the winding.

Under the brushed finish there’s a ceramic coat, while the nickel palladium coat protects the brushed finish.

So this is a very high quality fountain pen.

Weight & Dimensions

At home I don’t have a scale but I can reference it to a Caran d’Ache Léman.

My estimation is approximately 40g.

Total length: 140mm.

Length uncapped: 128mm (This length is very comfortable to me).

The center of balance is at the grip section.

Nib & Performance

Parker provides only two nib sizes with the Black Edition: F and M. I have F.

I’m very satisfied with the craftsmanship of the nib.

There is no need of pressure to let the ink flow on the paper even when uncapped for a long time.

This characteristic is for me a factor of quality for a nib.

Filing System & Maintenance

It’s a catridge/converter and it can be filled directly from the ink bottle.

The converter works as usual.

Cost & Value

I’ve paid 280 Euro ($400). The ratio of costs to quality is justified.

Conclusion

This will be the right choice for a high quality reliable understated fountain pen.

Sascha

post-66470-0-53686900-1301213552.jpg

post-66470-0-22763700-1301213567.jpg

post-66470-0-57954100-1301213578.jpg

post-66470-0-50269800-1301213588.jpg

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stefanvaduva

• Luke Scicluna

• Zombify

• Vlad Soare

Ive been curious about this pen, thanks for the review. It looks like it suites your writing too.

JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

Thank you for the review. Is the nib stiff or is it a bit springy?

Help? Why am I buying so many fountain pens?

Thank you for the review. Is the nib stiff or is it a bit springy?

The nib is a little bit spring with a soft pressure.

I don't write with any pressure.

There is also no need for because the ink starts directly to flow when the nib touches the paper.

Sascha

Nice looking pen. I found this description online (@coloradopen.com):

"A headliner in Parker's new Premier Black Edition is this fountain pen with a ruthenium coated, 18k gold nib. Thicker construction toward the nib tip and thinner sides lead to perfect ink flow for all writing styles. Fine and medium point choices are available. Quality craftsmanship continues in the unique ceramic top coating for the cap and barrel and matte black grip and trim in nickel palladium. Just a hint of the sophistication that lies within."

At first glance, this LE seems to be going for around $350+S&H online, about $100 more than "regular" editions.

Thanks for the review... David

I like the stealth look about this pen. It's a popular theme for some (younger) collectors.

As a LE this pen will become increasingly desirable in the future.

Nervous? No, I'm just thinking...

Not see that pen before, looks very nice though. Thanks for sharing.

Fountain pens aren't a collection, it's an insatiable obsession!

Shotokan Karate: Respect, Etiquette, Discipline, Perseverance

Methinks, I need one! Thanks for the review as I have been wondering about the characteristics of this pen.

May you and those you love, be always blessed with peace and never ending joy.

Roger

a very nice review. Thank you. I personally would like a premier, however i can't decide between the black, gold or silver. The thing i don't like is the design on the top part of the lid. I don't like the sonnet version either. I'm also not too keen on the reflective coating of the black. Although a very nice pen and according to the review, a quality product :) .

I have one sincerely christmas, use it a lot with pleasure.

I like the look and feel of it, it writes good with it 's M-Nib

• 1 month later...

I was wondering is the nib actually black?

It looks black in all the photos I have seen, but the pen I've seen has a silver nib with a slightly black sheen, not the same as the photo's at all.

I was talking to someone in a pen shop about this and he said the nibs might have been darker originally.

• 4 months later...

One of my favorite pens was the earlier Parker Premier which was basically a slightly larger version of the "75". Unfortunately it is among the missing and I have absolutely no idea what I did with it. I have a vague recollection that involves a coworker lusting over it and lending or giving it to him, but that's about it.

This one seems almost an homage to the original but doesn't grab me the way the first version did.

My Website

My girlfriend gave me a Parker Stealth for birthday (good girl--a keeper). It is quite a nice pen. Writes a rich wet line (with fine point, and is a classic, understated design. Hope quality issues do not plague a nice aesthetic design. So far, mine has worked flawlessly (since August).

One of my favorite pens was the earlier Parker Premier which was basically a slightly larger version of the "75". Unfortunately it is among the missing and I have absolutely no idea what I did with it. I have a vague recollection that involves a coworker lusting over it and lending or giving it to him, but that's about it.

This one seems almost an homage to the original but doesn't grab me the way the first version did.

The pen looks nice and the review is good too...

Pilot Vanishing Point Royal Red

Sailor Professional Gear - Sailor Jentle Grenade

Kaweco AC Sport Red Limited Edition - Kaweco Red

Sheaffer Prelude Chrome - Private Reserve Sherwood Green

TWSBI Diamond 540 - Sheaffer Purple

Sheaffer 300 - Private Reserve Orange Crush

My girlfriend gave me a Parker Stealth for birthday (good girl--a keeper). It is quite a nice pen. Writes a rich wet line (with fine point, and is a classic, understated design. Hope quality issues do not plague a nice aesthetic design. So far, mine has worked flawlessly (since August).

Nice girlfriend!

308156_201017236635026_123097101093707_437807_684090455_n.jpg

www.gouletpens.com and http://www.lacouronneducomte.nl for all your writing needs (no affiliation - just a very satisfied customer)

• 5 weeks later...

She is pretty amazing. And . . . she's been quizzing me about what fountain pen I want for Christmas. She likes buying pens---as it is kind of like buying jewelry for a guy.

Nice girlfriend!

308156_201017236635026_123097101093707_437807_684090455_n.jpg