Modern Maki-E Cranes Over Mt. Fuji By Platinum

empyrean

First Impression

No surprises; looks just like the pic in catalog! :rolleyes: But it is very pretty.

Construction and Artwork: 8/10

It is not as large as my full-size Sailor 1911, but is somewhat heavier. It is about the same length as my Sailor 1911. There is no design on the cap, only the barrel. Clip and band is gold-plated. The artwork is raised and has the feel they were painted on (but it is not; the design is silk-screened). There is more color to the design than portrayed in its store description. But a little design on the cap would be nice.

Fill: 10/10 works properly

Converter comes with the pen even though I ordered one separately because it did not state a converter came with the pen. :embarrassed_smile:

It was recommended by the seller (as if one did not come with it.)

Nib: (6/10)

I ordered a fine, but it is a bit too fine. A little scratchy, but after some tweaking of the tynes, the ink flow is much better, but still a bit scratchy. My preppy, made by platinum, has a fine nib which writes thicker, not scratchy, and better ink flow than the platinum 18k nib supplied with this Makie pen.

Value: 8/10

$144 U.S., a bit steep but hey, it's not $360, or $620, or $3500. I've already received compliments on it at work. I am going to give it a chance.

post-58813-0-42398600-1301198542.jpg

post-58813-0-36331800-1301198632.jpg

post-58813-0-78061400-1301198665.jpg

post-58813-0-27509600-1301198686.jpg

Edited by empyrean
empyrean Conklin,Stipula Pyrite, Bon Voyage & Tuscany Dreams Siena, Levengers, Sailor 1911,Pelikan M200, Bexley BX802, AoLiWen Music Notes pen, Jinhao's,1935 Parker Deluxe Challenger, 1930s Eversharp Gold Seal RingTop, 1940s Sheaffer Tuckaway, 1944 Sheaffer Triumph, Visconti Van Gogh midi, Esties!(SJ, T, and J),Cross Townsend Medalist & Aventura, 1930s Mentmore Autoflow, A bunch of Conway-Stewarts 84, Platinum 3776 Chartres Blue(med); Montegrappa Elmo (broad nib), Delta "The Journal" (med nib), Conklin Yellowstone (med nib)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• empyrean

• aawhite

• de_pen_dent

• Alex2014

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I seem to be reaching for it more often now. It is quite well made actually. Seems to be less scratchy with Aurora Blue (my favorite ink, of course). I use Fine nibs mostly, but this would be in the category of extra, and a little more, fine :thumbup:

empyrean Conklin,Stipula Pyrite, Bon Voyage & Tuscany Dreams Siena, Levengers, Sailor 1911,Pelikan M200, Bexley BX802, AoLiWen Music Notes pen, Jinhao's,1935 Parker Deluxe Challenger, 1930s Eversharp Gold Seal RingTop, 1940s Sheaffer Tuckaway, 1944 Sheaffer Triumph, Visconti Van Gogh midi, Esties!(SJ, T, and J),Cross Townsend Medalist & Aventura, 1930s Mentmore Autoflow, A bunch of Conway-Stewarts 84, Platinum 3776 Chartres Blue(med); Montegrappa Elmo (broad nib), Delta "The Journal" (med nib), Conklin Yellowstone (med nib)

Thank you very much! Hope it somewhat helps anyone who is considering one of these pens.

simple but pretty design. looks classic with the black and gold.

rgds.

krishna.

ladies and gentlemen write with fountain pens only.

simple but pretty design. looks classic with the black and gold.

rgds.

krishna.

Thank you! I like Black and Silver, Black and Gold pens mostly. For anyone who doesn't have the big bucks for a Maki-e pen, this pen is very pretty. But I caution those who do not like fine, or xtra fine nibs, get a Broad nib on this one.

• 1 year later...

Its been about a year since your review. How is the pen holding up? Are the graphics fading or chipping at all? Im thinking about one of these pens.

I'd be curios too actually since I'm thinking of getting one for my niece

"One always looking for flaws leaves too little time for construction" ...

I'm curious how this screen-printed "modern maki-e" has held up, and how your opinion of the pen has help up as well.

--

Glenn (love those pen posses)

• 3 months later...

Thank you very much! Hope it somewhat helps anyone who is considering one of these pens.

After more than a year, how is the pen performing?

How are the Maki-e designs holding up? Do they chip-off or scratch easily, or the colors fade away?

Thanks for the review.

Edited by aawhite

I only have two pens - an Aurora Optima and others.

Very nice pen. Noticed it is a slip cap and have seen other platinum pens with them. Very well implemented and robust.

I receivem mine some time ago. Different print though, I had the Red Mt Fuji. Very nice work, but I have the same experience with the F nib. A bit scratchy, bit too dry for my taste and a very fine line. I have just tried with Parker Mocha, but wish I could ajust the flow towards the wet side. Not sure how, unfortunately.

Anyway, a nice supplement to the collection.

Regards,

LBj

Favorite of the day: Nakaya Naka-ai Heki tame.

I got one some months ago along with a PLT5000B (I'm very happy with this one), but mine with an M nib, and it's just the opposite. Really smooth and wet (in fact, too wet for me). I hope they would provide this pens with FM nibs, that would be perfect.

Edited by sirtoti

• 10 months later...

After more than a year, how is the pen performing?

How are the Maki-e designs holding up? Do they chip-off or scratch easily, or the colors fade away?

Thanks for the review.

Well, better late than never!!! :D The Maki-e designs look as good now as in 2011. But the Med nib on this pen is really too dry and fine for me...but a pretty pen nonetheless!!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, better late than never!!! :D The Maki-e designs look as good now as in 2011. But the Med nib on this pen is really too dry and fine for me...but a pretty pen nonetheless!!

On the contrary, after 2 years, now you can give a more accurate and true assessment of the condition of the Maki-e design.

Thank you very much, my friend.

I only have two pens - an Aurora Optima and others.

I have 2 of these pens - a Bush Warbler, with a custom-ground Mottishaw stub, and a stock Crane in a B. With the thicker nibs, the writing experience can only be described as "luscious".

I really like both these pens. A fellow birder also got himself a Crane after seeing mine :)

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.

• 6 months later...

I received my Platinum Mt Fuji & Cranes just today. I cannot say that it is a fantastic writing. Smooth and very pleasant. It looks very nice and has an incredible very good 18k F (F-M?) nib, much smoother than my Pilot Custom 74 (14k EF nib). I am very delight with it. Platinum is a brand that has to be re-evaluated.

Edited by Alex2014

I have 2 of these pens - a Bush Warbler, with a custom-ground Mottishaw stub, and a stock Crane in a B.

Hi de_pen_dent,

Can you tell me what nib size Mottishaw started out with on your Bush Warbler (F, M, or B), and the final width (in mm) of the stub you ended up with?

Is there any chance you could post a writing sample done on grid or dot grid? (so I could get an idea of line width and line variation)

Thanks in advance!

-- Constance

It is possible that some Platinum 18k nibs be dry. Mine is rather wet for a F nib (a bit wider than an usual Japanese F nib; I guess it is rather a F-M). I used an Iroshizuku shin-ryoku ink to test the FP.

• 1 month later...

I have had my pen with the cranes design for 2 years.I got the F nib.Not dry but very scratchy I use Iroshizuku ku-jaku ink,I have tried many ,yes at least 8 different inks including Noodlers Saguaro Wine which is extremely wet in other pens.The nib Im afraid is for an 18kt very bad.There is no misalignment or any nib flaws.It has been examined under a 20x and 30x loupe.The Fine nib writes reliably ,is not dry it is just too damn scratchy.It doesnt matter how pretty it looks this pen is relegated to the back of my desk drawer.Personally I think these pens are overrated.

Edited by cjjohnst