Noodler's 41 Brown

Sandy1

Please take a moment to adjust your gear to accurately depict the Gray Scale below.

As the patches are neutral gray, that is what you should see.

Gray Scale.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/InkyThoughts2010/INK576.jpg

In addition, for ease of viewing the scans, you may wish to change the FPN Theme to 'IP.Mobile'.

- = + = -

Figure 1.

Swabs & Swatch

Paper: HPJ1124 24 lb. Laser Copy.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%2041%20Brown/eb182c54.jpg

Figure 2.

NIB-ism ✑

Paper: HPJ1124.

Depicts nibs' line-width and pens' relative wetness.

Link:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%2041%20Brown/th_8ebcc9fa.jpg

L → R: Somiko, P99, C74, 45, Phileas & Prelude.

Figure 3.

Paper base tints:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Waterman%20Havana/a7af56d2.jpg

L → R: HPJ1124, Rhodia, G Lalo white, Royal, Staples Creme, Staples 20 lb.

WRITTEN SAMPLES - Moby Dick

Row height is 8mm.

Figure 4.

Paper: HPJ1124.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%2041%20Brown/7a4cf01d.jpg

Figure 5.

Paper: Rhodia.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%2041%20Brown/e4b6084d.jpg

Figure 6.

Paper: G Lalo, Verge de France, white.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%2041%20Brown/babe337e.jpg

Figure 7.

Paper: Royal - 25% rag.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%2041%20Brown/9590f6c0.jpg

Figure 8.

Paper: Staples Pastels, creme, 20 lb.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%2041%20Brown/72dd425a.jpg

Figure 9.

Paper: Staples 20 lb. multi use.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%2041%20Brown/6e4db5f9.jpg

Figure 10.

Grocery List

Paper: Pulp. One-a-Day calendar page.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%2041%20Brown/cd7d39d5.jpg

OTHER STUFF ‡

Figure 10.

Smear/Dry Times

Wet Tests

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%2041%20Brown/b1c2188f.jpg

‡ 'Other Stuff' has changed:

It was thought that as coatings and glossy paper may be very inconsistent, the results shown may be misleading. Consequently, the coated card stock and glossy paper samples were eliminated.

In light of recent S/D Time sampling,
, it was apparent that the variance and range of such times was greater than previously sampled. Consequently, to represent papers whose use is widespread, the set of papers for S/D Time samples was changed.

GENERAL DESCRIPTION

Type:

• Dye-based fountain pen ink.

Daily writer?

• Possible.

A go-to ink?

• Yes - when a high-performance firm Brown is desired.

USE

Business:

(From the office of Ms Blue-Black.)

• In the medium to darker densities, I could see N#41 being used for lateral and downward communication.
  • For upward communication, it may be considered as lacking gravitas by some; but if the density is high, N#41 may be considered a welcome alternative to the gamut of typical Blue - Black 'business' colours.
  • Especially welcome for those in a team / egalitarian environment.
  • For personal work product, I could see using N#41 without hesitation.
  • While the colour & density seem to be without zip, mark-up and editing could be possible, but not my first pick. (Try Gate City Everflo™ Orchid for such use.)
  • Not enough zap for error correction or grading of assignments.

Illustrations / Graphics:

• I cannot see using N#41 as a gradient or transitory colour, but could be used as a foil to medium/dark Teal & Blue-Greens. e.g. Diamine Twilight.
  • Line quality is excellent, so it is a fine choice when narrow tight lines are required. e.g. Labels, crosshatching.

Students:

• Easily.
  • N#41 has a very readable appearance, so is a good pick for general notes, and study notes which may be read numerous times.
  • Being 'bulletproof', it should tolerate high-lighter over-writing, and inadvertent wet testing with water and other fluids. However, as it cannot be eradicated, choose your words carefully.
  • Demonstrated excellent performance on 20 lb. bond, but did show some bleed- show-through on the Royal. That said, it should be a contender for two-sided use on 'lowest bidder' papers.
  • At higher densities, it may be suitable for hand-written assignments.

Personal:

• N#41 provides a firm Brown that has sufficient range of useful density to make it suitable for most writing.
  • This could easily be a 'signature' ink for some practitioners.
  • It should not be held in reserve for special occasions, but deployed on a routine basis.
  • For pro forma business writing, it may be too nice; unleash the Lamy Green on the undeserving.
  • The lack of shading is a bit of a personal disappointment, but that does open the way to using any sort of nib without hesitation. I have come to like N#41 from 0.5mm CI of middling wetness. (I'm not sure about BB+ nibs - the ink seems 'clunky' from my Asian MS nibs, so please chime-in about your experience with the wide nibs.)
  • Billets doux? I'm afraid not.

PHYSICAL PERFORMANCE & CHARACTERISTICS

Flow Rate:

• A bit higher than average.

Nib Dry-out:

• Not seen.

Start-up:

• Immediate.

Lubrication:

• Impressive.
  • Nibs felt as if they'd been tuned. (Ha!)
  • Watch for loss of delicate control on smooooth papers or when using slick nibs.

Nib Creepies:

• Slight.
  • (Go into denial - pretend its not happening.)

Staining:

• Not seen.

Clogging:

• Not seen.

Bleed- Show-Through:

• Yes.
    • On the Royal.

Feathering / Woolly Line:

• Not seen.

Smear/Dry Time:

• Oddly indeterminite.
  • HPJ1124: >50 seconds.
  • Rhodia: >50 seconds.
  • 20lb.: 20 - 25 seconds

Water Resistance: ☂

④ on the 4S Scale:

"All legible, can be easily read and/or have light staining from re-deposit of soluble ink.

Use as-is for work papers & internal use.

Adjustments to a scanner may drop-out the stain."

From the Water Resistance and S/D Time samples:

• Ink not bonded to paper appears to come adrift when exposed to water, or smeared. i.e. N#41 bonds to paper, not so much to itself. (?)
  • If water resistance and S/D Times are crucial, a dry writer and/or absorbent paper is suggested. That is especially relevant to those who plan to use N#41, then work over it with wet media, including hi-liters.
  • In order to achieve desired performance, please take the time to learn about the materials being used.

Smell:

• Round with a sharp accent.

Hand oil sensitivity:

• Not seen.

Clean Up:

• Thorough and fairly quick with plain water.

Mixing:

• Mixing may degrade the 'bulletproof' property.
  • I see no reason to mix into this ink.
  • EDIT - to add: If a person finds that N#41 is smearing and/or is not sufficiently water resistant, in addition to drier writers and more absorbent papers, diluting N#41 may prove to be beneficial - even necessary if it is used as a daily writer ink. YMMV as ever.

Archival:*

✍ Now that, dear readers, is another lovely performance profile. :clap1:

THE LOOK

Presence:

• Even in the pale tones, N#41 remains a firm not fluid Brown; a Look which is supported by the lack of (appreciable) shading.
  • The ink does come forward off the page, as warm colours do, but N#41 does not jump up like a poorly trained dog.
  • Restrained, inviting.
  • The person who holds the door for me - even though they have parcels and I do not.

Saturation:

• High.

Shading:

• Rare & elusive.
  • A glimmer may be seen from the P99 on the Rhodia.

Variability:

• Pen+nib combos used:
    • More than expected.

[*]Papers used:

• Less than expected.

[*]Malleability:

• Driven more by choice of writer than choice of paper.
    • That property makes N#41 useful as a daily writer ink: once the pen is chosen, The Look should remain fairly constant across a range of writing papers.

Note: N#41 does not have the chalky appearance that plagues some other Noodler's 'bulletproof' inks. e.g. Legal Lapis, Lexington Grey, Polar Blue. I found that property impossible to capture in a scan.

Hi-Res Scans:

As I do not wish to earn the sobriquet 'Regina dei Banditi di Larghezza di Banda', these are links only.

Somiko on HPJ1124

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%2041%20Brown/th_1d08969b.jpg

C74 on Rhodia

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%2041%20Brown/th_443b737a.jpg

45 on G Lalo

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%2041%20Brown/th_88646d84.jpg

Prelude on Royal

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Noodlers%2041%20Brown/th_2d5d981d.jpg

FIDELITY

Is the name appropriate?

• Not to the uninitiated.

Are swatches accurate?

• Swatches? There's supposed to be swatches?

SIMILAR COLOURS

PAPERS

Lovely papers:

• Ran well on all papers used; and all that I encountered prior to this Post.

Trip-wire Papers: ☠

• None encountered.

Tinted Papers:

• Most reasonable tints; natural & creme are shown.
  • May be interesting on Powder Blue, or even pale Rose (not Pink) stock.

Pre-Printed Papers:

• Forms, etc.
    • Quite possible.
    • If the forms are printed in Black, the N#41 will do well; I would prefer medium-to-high density.

[*]For charts & graphs:

• Easily, but not for 'key' information. (Use eye-searing solar flare NBsBl for that stuff.)

Is high-end paper 'worth it'?

• Doubtful.
  • Once again, paper is very much a matter of preference over performance.

OTHER THAN INK

Presentation:

• Three ounce bottle in a box.
  • No HazMat warnings.

Country of origin:

• USA.

Container:

• A tall 38mm square clear glass bottle, 88mm tall when capped.
  • Proportions are not conducive to stacking, and are 'tippy'.
  • Ink level can be easily determined.
  • The centred round opening is 23mm ∅.
  • Single tank, no sediment collector, no filling aid. 3x Bah!
  • The screw cap has adequate grip.
  • The cap seal seems to be some sort of plastic-coated card. (>_<)
  • The cap is not child-proof.
  • Crikey! It's a *rude_word* tanker!! Kindly use a different bottle / ink well from which your pens may sip their fill. (Oh please hurry with the ink pots Speedy!)

Box:

• 41x89x41mm
  • Lightly coated card stock.
  • No swatch. GASP!!
  • Ink name is stamped on top. Tsk Tsk Tsk

>>No kidding: Useless when inks are stacked, or at/above eye level.

>>Work-around: Use some of the ink to colour-in some of the figures on the box.

Eco-Green:

• OK.
  • All should be recyclable / benign.

Availability:

• Numerous online sellers stateside and abroad.
  • Most often spotted in (independent) pen shops; yet to be seen in franchise / chain stores such as Wal-Mart.

ETC.

Majik:

• Well no, sad to say.
  • N#41 is a hard working ink - clearly there's no room in the bottle for frills or thrills.

Personal Pen & Paper Pick:

• Looks tough, but in person it is obvious: the Prelude on the G Lalo.
  • The N#41 is one of the few inks that really hold it together on the hard textured surface; the variable line with the colour and laid texture of the paper make a fine combination. (A rival to PR Midnight Blues FD on this paper?)

Yickity Yackity:

• No significant misbehaviour was seen, so this ink seems a strong candidate for using writers and papers that may not suit many inks - the ones that may have been considered recalcitrant. (Yes you - Targa+B stub.)
  • Ah kushbaby, this one is well worth a place on the top shelf, but it may be a tad calm for you. And not that kind of calm, it is very different than rikyu-cha - this one runs on rails.

<=-+-v-+-=>:<=+-.-+=>|<-:->|<=+-.-+=>:<=-+-v-+-=>

MATERIEL USED:

To be relevant to most members, I make an effort to use papers, pens & nibs that are readily available. Pens are those for which I paid $100 or less, and are factory stock - not customised.

Pens:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/Pen_Scans/th_1541b447.jpg

Written Samples:

• Sailor Somiko + TIGP F nib.
  • Pelikan P99 + steel F nib.
  • Pilot Custom 74 + 14K SFM nib.
  • Parker 45 + g-p steel M nib.
  • Waterman Phileas + steel B nib.
  • Sheaffer Prelude + factory stock steel B stub nib.

Lines & labels:

• Pilot kiri-same from Pilot 'Lady' + H882 g-p steel F nib.

On these papers:

• HPJ1124 24 lb. Laser Copy.
  • Rhodia.
  • G Lalo, Verge de France, white.
  • Royal, 25% cotton rag.
  • Staples Pastel, creme.
  • Staples 20lb. multi use.
  • Pulp. One-a-Day Calendar page.

• Scans were made on an Epson V600 scanner; factory defaults were accepted.
  • Figures shown were scanned at 200 dpi & 24 bit colour.
  • HiRes Images linked were scanned at 300 dpi & 24 bit colour.
  • Scans were not adjusted, so went straight to Photobouquet.

Densitometer Readings (FWIW):

• Red 105
  • Grn 91
  • Blu 75
  • Lum 91

FINE PRINT

The accuracy and relevance of this Review depends in great part upon consistency and reliability of materiél used. Ink does not require labelling/notice to indicate (changes in) formulation, non-hazardous ingredients, batch ID, date of manufacture, etc.

As always, YMMV, not only from materials, methods, environment, etc., but also due to differences between the stuff in the bottle I used, and that in bottle you may have.

Also, I entrust readers to separate opinion from fact; to evaluate inferences and conclusions as to their merit; and to be amused by whatever tickles your fancy.

-30-

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• torstar

• bjcmatthews

• stuartk

Hi,

The N#41 is the third ink to be reviewed in the 'One of the Eleven' (OOTE) group of Brown inks.

When complete, the intention is to have the OOTE inks reviewed in the same manner, to the maximum practical extent.

Hopefully the OOTE reviews will assist practitioners in choosing their Brown/s, and avoid unintentional purchase of equivalent ink/s.

I have learned from my experience to date with the One Of The Ten series of Blue inks, that side-by-side comparisons may be of questionable value; and they are soooo tedious. Consequently, for the OOTE series, comparisons will be generated only from material included in the Ink Reviews; and as I see fit after the OOTE series is complete and upon Members' request. So no pro forma Comparisons.

If one wishes to do their own ad hoc comparisons, opening separate browser windows, then tiling & manipulating those windows, sideXside comparisons can be emulated.

I will be the first to admit that my experience with Brown inks is somewhat lean, so OOTE is an interesting voyage of discovery - for me at least.

Bye,

Sandy1

==========

Prior OOTE Ink Reviews:

1. Monteverde Brown: http://www.fountainp...67?do=findComment&comment=1769767
  2. Private Reserve Chocolate: http://www.fountainp...ost__p__1890629

Edited by Sandy1

Dear Sandy1,

I love browns; I initially figured that this project would be more valuable to me than your OotT opus, but even as I type this, it's undeniable that you've had a great hand in my growing appreciation for blues, which I had hitherto overlooked and found boring. By dint of your subject matter, let alone your literary flourish, you've enhanced alarmingly the joy I take in this hobby. (So, y'know, thanks for that.)

Please forgive me if you've answered this elsewhere or if doing so would compromise a policy of secrecy, but I was wondering if Diamine Chocolate Brown will be one of the eleven inks you're planning to publish in this format.

- Mr. P

(While gratitude gen'rally goadeth these lines,

Perversity painfully drives and consigns

Me configure their metres concordant to frame

Those dactylic contours that nuzzle thy name.

Forgive then, I beg thee, these tedious squirms

O'my tortuous, unpulchritudenous terms,

Unequal to thee but mine limited best,

Arrayed electronically here to attest

Again to thy labours, I clumsily laud:

O Sandy1, thank you; I read and applaud.)

:clap1:

Thank you for another excellent review, S1.

I'm glad that you mentioned the smearing/dry time issue with this ink. I have seen it recommended enough times that I obtained a sample to give it a try. I really liked the color without any unwanted red/green/yellow undertones, but found that the dry time was excessive on less absorbent papers. I also had issues with smearing a full 24 hours after writing on some papers (Midori was the worst). It is unfortunate, as I could really like this brown otherwise.

Dear Sandy1,

I love browns; I initially figured that this project would be more valuable to me than your OotT opus, but even as I type this, it's undeniable that you've had a great hand in my growing appreciation for blues, which I had hitherto overlooked and found boring. By dint of your subject matter, let alone your literary flourish, you've enhanced alarmingly the joy I take in this hobby. (So, y'know, thanks for that.)

Please forgive me if you've answered this elsewhere or if doing so would compromise a policy of secrecy, but I was wondering if Diamine Chocolate Brown will be one of the eleven inks you're planning to publish in this format.

- Mr. P

(While gratitude gen'rally goadeth these lines,

Perversity painfully drives and consigns

Me configure their metres concordant to frame

Those dactylic contours that nuzzle thy name.

Forgive then, I beg thee, these tedious squirms

O'my tortuous, unpulchritudenous terms,

Unequal to thee but mine limited best,

Arrayed electronically here to attest

Again to thy labours, I clumsily laud:

O Sandy1, thank you; I read and applaud.)

:clap1:

Hi,

I'm so glad that you love Brown inks - clearly I am still learning about them; also that One Of The Ten removed the veils of Blue boredom.

Ah - the List ...

We've already had one chocolate; is that sufficient?

As to the format: It is clear that the format of the Written Samples and narrative continue to evolve. Even in this IR, the 'Other Stuff' changed significantly. In support of my goal to avoid separate entries in the Ink Comparisons, Scans & Tests subForum, the materiél and format of the Written Samples must be compatible throughout OOTE.

Future IRs may well include entries that enable reasonable
ad hoc
comparisons to be made. i.e. I would rather include comparison compatibility within an Ink Review, rather than generate separate comparison documents after the IR.

I am immensely flattered by your verse. :blush:

Bye,

Sandy1

Edited by Sandy1

Thank you for another excellent review, S1.

I'm glad that you mentioned the smearing/dry time issue with this ink. I have seen it recommended enough times that I obtained a sample to give it a try. I really liked the color without any unwanted red/green/yellow undertones, but found that the dry time was excessive on less absorbent papers. I also had issues with smearing a full 24 hours after writing on some papers (Midori was the worst). It is unfortunate, as I could really like this brown otherwise.

Hi,

You're welcome!

After reading your kind Post, I realised I had understated the importance of the S/D Times. Consequently, I edited the IR to add ink dilution as another possible 'fix' of the S/DT. (Assuming that the reader did not read the linked Post demonstrating the effects of dilution.)

That said, I am confident that the wily practitioner can solve that issue, and that N#41 can be considered as a go-to ink. I am disinclined to generate dilution samples for N#41; other Members who wish to contribute to the common weal may be so inclined.

So indeed, N#41 may not be the all rounder as posited.

Bye,

S1

Wow! What a review!

I gotta find the others!

Oh, gotta get this ink too.

Chris

Very much interested in Life, Liberty, and especially the pursuit of Happiness!

great review. I am a student, and live by this ink. I find it contrasts fantastically against the BSB and sag. wine I use for highlighing points

great review. I am a student, and live by this ink. I find it contrasts fantastically against the BSB and sag. wine I use for highlighing points

Hi,

Thank-you for the compliment.

I must ask if you have found the smear / dry time to be a problem?

It was evident from the Other Stuff sample; and Member geoduc indicated that such problems were deal-breakers. I certainly am wary about inks that will smudge well after they are dry. Especially when one's notes may be run through auto-feeders of scanners, photocopiers.

Was it necessary to find a certain characteristics of paper & pen? You personal experience on that topic would be most welcome.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

Hi,

Thank-you for the compliment.

I must ask if you have found the smear / dry time to be a problem?

It was evident from the Other Stuff sample; and Member geoduc indicated that such problems were deal-breakers. I certainly am wary about inks that will smudge well after they are dry. Especially when one's notes may be run through auto-feeders of scanners, photocopiers.

Was it necessary to find a certain characteristics of paper & pen? You personal experience on that topic would be most welcome.

Bye,

S1

I don't find the dry time to be a problem. When I take notes in lectures, I usually give the last thing I wrote 10 seconds to dry (for good practise, as I write with Black Swan and Noodlers Red-Black a lot too) and don't have any trouble with it smearing. In saying that, I also use bleed resistant paper (Spirax), and Clairefontaine/Rhodia notebooks. I have found this ink to come through cheaper papers, but no more so than HoD, or other 'standard' bulletproof inks.

Smearing...actually, I don't think the ink smears that badly. After 5 mins ( i have a very scientific test where I lick my notes to see how the ink goes:D) the ink is only vulnerable to a sweaty palm (very sweaty) or a tongue in regards to smearing. Give it a day, and the ink will smear only a touch more than HoD by my reckoning. I would have no reservations about putting this ink though a scanner provided it had been dry for about 10 mins or so (just playing it safe, I'd probably wack it in as soon as the ink was dry to the touch)

I'm not familiar with the intricacies of autofeeders though, and whether materials within the machinery are coated in lubricants etc. that may contact paper and offer a medium by which this ink may be smeared.

Oh, and I like the smell of this ink. *who likes the smell of ink? you don't smell ink? who is this weirdo* I would think the same, were I not also the owner of the toxic stenchly Bad Blue Heron. Compared to that formaldehyde stink, this ink is soothing on the nose:D

My only complaint is the bastardly long time between shaking the bottle and waiting for all the bottles to dissipate before sticking in a piston filler that you don't want to submerge 2/3s of in ink, just to suck up ink, not bubbles, once the ink starts running low in the bottle.

Hope this helps mate

I don't find the dry time to be a problem. When I take notes in lectures, I usually give the last thing I wrote 10 seconds to dry (for good practise, as I write with Black Swan and Noodlers Red-Black a lot too) and don't have any trouble with it smearing. In saying that, I also use bleed resistant paper (Spirax), and Clairefontaine/Rhodia notebooks. I have found this ink to come through cheaper papers, but no more so than HoD, or other 'standard' bulletproof inks.

Smearing...actually, I don't think the ink smears that badly. After 5 mins ( i have a very scientific test where I lick my notes to see how the ink goes:D) the ink is only vulnerable to a sweaty palm (very sweaty) or a tongue in regards to smearing. Give it a day, and the ink will smear only a touch more than HoD by my reckoning. I would have no reservations about putting this ink though a scanner provided it had been dry for about 10 mins or so (just playing it safe, I'd probably wack it in as soon as the ink was dry to the touch)

I'm not familiar with the intricacies of autofeeders though, and whether materials within the machinery are coated in lubricants etc. that may contact paper and offer a medium by which this ink may be smeared.

Oh, and I like the smell of this ink. *who likes the smell of ink? you don't smell ink? who is this weirdo* I would think the same, were I not also the owner of the toxic stenchly Bad Blue Heron. Compared to that formaldehyde stink, this ink is soothing on the nose:D

My only complaint is the bastardly long time between shaking the bottle and waiting for all the bottles to dissipate before sticking in a piston filler that you don't want to submerge 2/3s of in ink, just to suck up ink, not bubbles, once the ink starts running low in the bottle.

Hope this helps mate

Cheers!

Good on ya, mate thumbup.gif

EDIT - To add: When I receive a bp ink, I give it a mighty shaking, then pour about 20ml into a 30ml Nalgene bottle for filling my pens. For subsequent filling, I find the bubbles disperse faster after shaking the Nalgene bottle than the 3 oz bottle.

S1

Edited by Sandy1

• 1 month later...

S1, thank you for your One of the Eleven' (OOTE) group of Brown inks series of reviews. (Not only significantly informative, but pretty funny. What can top that, I ask you?)

Anyhow, we pen+ink wash sketchers have been lately looking into the world of browns over at WC. Our measures are somewhat different from folks in this neck of the woods. (I.e. smearability=good, long dry time=good, etc.) Your "Spatter" test gives us a hint of how well the ink will "wash" and is quite helpful.

So thank you S1, and -----> keep 'em comin'!

Jan

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Travel Sketchbooking

Observe Closely

S1, thank you for your One of the Eleven' (OOTE) group of Brown inks series of reviews. (Not only significantly informative, but pretty funny. What can top that, I ask you?)

Anyhow, we pen+ink wash sketchers have been lately looking into the world of browns over at WC. Our measures are somewhat different from folks in this neck of the woods. (I.e. smearability=good, long dry time=good, etc.) Your "Spatter" test gives us a hint of how well the ink will "wash" and is quite helpful.

So thank you S1, and -----> keep 'em comin'!

Jan

Hi,

You're welcome! :happyberet:

I am always impressed with the diverse use of the many inks. And going to the art / crafts / pen shops provides a great waterhole for gatherings of some very interesting people. It seems that Noodler's bp inks are attracting practitioners from other disciplines with their rather unique performance profile.

I will re-iterate the caution about mixing the bp inks:

• It can degrade their water resistant properties;
  • Rude events such as formation of gunk, slime and the unspeakable may occur.

I would hate to see beautiful sable brushes ruined by inadvertent cross-contamination.

Oh - you may consider the inks composed of some dyes that are water resistant and other dyes which are soluble after drying. e.g. Caran d'Ache Grand Canyon. https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/163207-caran-d-ache-grand-canyon/

Some interesting 'duotone' effects can be achieved by working the dry ink with a wet brush.

More OOTE Reviews are in the pipeline.

Bye,

S1

I got a bottle of this recently and I really like it.

I'm using it in a Parker Sonnet with a M 18K nib, and I get shading. It's not quite as much as with the 2 J. Herbin browns I've tried, but it's very noticeable. I have not had any problems with slow drying or smearing either.

I've noticed some problems with feathering on cheap paper, but other than that it's excellent.

One thing that caught my eye was the orange halo I got around the brown when I wiped the pen off with a paper towel after filling it.

I got a bottle of this recently and I really like it.

I'm using it in a Parker Sonnet with a M 18K nib, and I get shading. It's not quite as much as with the 2 J. Herbin browns I've tried, but it's very noticeable. I have not had any problems with slow drying or smearing either.

I've noticed some problems with feathering on cheap paper, but other than that it's excellent.

One thing that caught my eye was the orange halo I got around the brown when I wiped the pen off with a paper towel after filling it.

Hi,

Many thanks for your Reply.

I use an early Parker Sonnet+18K M as my daily work horse; a seemingly under-rated pen that has performed flawlessly over the years.

I hope you like the shading that you are able to generate with the #41. Could you please mention the paper used to generate that shading? From my experience, Herbin inks in general have shading potential greater than most other Brands - its one of the reasons I like Herbin so much!

Bye,

S1

I hope you like the shading that you are able to generate with the #41. Could you please mention the paper used to generate that shading? From my experience, Herbin inks in general have shading potential greater than most other Brands - its one of the reasons I like Herbin so much!

I normally use fairly inexpensive legal pads in white if available, but I'll settle for canary. The one on my desk right now is marked Corporate Express EXP, but I've had other brands too.

• 4 months later...

Great ink.

My only caveat is be careful when disposing the paper towel used to wipe the pen or clean up the ink.

People will see the discard and wonder if somebody has a control problem...

Great review, Sandy!

My interest in brown inks began with Noodler's Walnut, a rich, dark brown with a gorgeous red halo or spread (seen after wiping the nib with a tissue).

Walnut is near-bulletproof, which is fine, but it does bleedthrough just a bit on the paper that I use.

Then Loren (lsmith42) gave me a bottle of Noodler's Schreibtinte Braun (apparently translates to "writing ink brown") which is very similar to Walnut but without the bleedthrough. I just now dripped some water drops on words I wrote about an hour ago, and the red washed out, leaving clearly legible words. I love this ink!

I wondered if you were familiar enough with Walnut to comment on the shade difference between it and #41.

(I'd ask about the Schreibtinte Braun, but that's an exclusive ink to the pen shop in Geneva Basel where Loren bought it, so it probably doesn't have widespread or easy distribution. The SB is near enough to Walnut that I think I might gauge the difference between SB and #41 by what, if anything, you have to say about the difference (or similarity) between Walnut and #41.)

As an aside (apropos your observation about pairing #41 with some blues), pairing the SB with Akkerman Diep-Duinwaterblauw (thanks to Markc for the sample of the Akkerman!) is designery fabulous!

Edit: It was Basel.

Edited by ethernautrix

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Great ink.

My only caveat is be careful when disposing the paper towel used to wipe the pen or clean up the ink.

People will see the discard and wonder if somebody has a control problem...

Hi,

Perhaps that could be used to deter those who would go prospecting in ones rubbish!

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

Great review, Sandy!

My interest in brown inks began with Noodler's Walnut, a rich, dark brown with a gorgeous red halo or spread (seen after wiping the nib with a tissue).

Walnut is near-bulletproof, which is fine, but it does bleedthrough just a bit on the paper that I use.

Then Loren (lsmith42) gave me a bottle of Noodler's Schreibtinte Braun (apparently translates to "writing ink brown") which is very similar to Walnut but without the bleedthrough. I just now dripped some water drops on words I wrote about an hour ago, and the red washed out, leaving clearly legible words. I love this ink!

I wondered if you were familiar enough with Walnut to comment on the shade difference between it and #41.

(I'd ask about the Schreibtinte Braun, but that's an exclusive ink to the pen shop in Geneva Basel where Loren bought it, so it probably doesn't have widespread or easy distribution. The SB is near enough to Walnut that I think I might gauge the difference between SB and #41 by what, if anything, you have to say about the difference (or similarity) between Walnut and #41.)

As an aside (apropos your observation about pairing #41 with some blues), pairing the SB with Akkerman Diep-Duinwaterblauw (thanks to Markc for the sample of the Akkerman!) is designery fabulous!

Edit: It was Basel.

Hi,

Glad you liked the Review!

I tried the Walnut some time ago - received from a friend who was looking for a water resistant ink for use in her calligraphy. She was shocked at the difference between the Noodler's and the dip pen Walnut inks. Its been lingering in a dark corner, but not assigned to the Mixing Corral - it needs a proper good look to shake-off my friend's impressions.

I don't have my originals to hand, so going by my photobucket images: Noodler's Walnut is much more into the Red-Orange than #41 with its strong Green component. That gives Walnut more animation & glow. Its warmth appears to be quite vegetal, (not warm-blooded or mineral), but more like a fruit/berry than a hardwood or even the walnut nut itself or its oil.

I recall that the ink looked quite appealing from a dip pen, so I'd be likely to start with my wet writers / absorbent papers. IIRC, few of the robust Noodler's inks have great shading potential - but I hope Walnut might be an exception to show-off the warmth. Likely to be a good pairing with natural-warm papers.

Thanks for the wonderful teaser about the bespoke Schreibtinte Braun. The next time I'm in Basel . . .

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1