Pilot falcon s f nib

watch_art

pics and writing scans to come later

Pilot Falcon Elabo SF Nib

Blue Wonder

Having just traded off my Pilot Custom 742 for a Bexley of more or less equal value (that I happen to like more) I had a hole where my modern flex pen used to be. Enter the Pilot Falcon!

A gift believe it or not. One kind FPNer loaned me two Danitrios to play with, and this Falcon. Very cool. Another reason to love FPN.

From pictures, this was a pen that I would have never considered, not even almost. It's just sort of... ugly as all getout. At least in pictures. In person, holding it, looking at it, writing with it, all the ugliness sort of melts away once nib hits paper and the magic of this little thing kicks you square in the teeth.

First impressions, the looks of this thing impressed the hell out of me. I mean, who'da thought that seeing something in person would change completely the way you feel about it? This isn't an ugly pen! It's beautiful! That color! It's a shiny blue, like car paint, but on a pen. Cool! The little metal bits... are, uh... chrome! The clip is very cool looking as well. I think this is my favorite part of this pen. That little clip. I wrote a review of the Pilot 78g last year sometime and said I hated the look of the clip. Somebody responded with "it's distinctly Japansese." This clip is even more so. And I love it. It makes me think of a Samurai helmet.

Unscrewing the cap reveals this funky lookin little bent up nib thingy. Meh. The section looks kinda... boring and plain as well. But then you hold it and begin to write. More magic! It punches you in the face like a backfired Harry Potter spell! It makes you fall in love with it! What an amazing little pen! This thing works unposted for hands like mine, or posted for hands like yours, or his, or maybe even that lady over there. But me, I like this one unposted.

The weight of it is very nice. Heavy enough, but not a lead turd, and not a feather the size of a banana. It's metal, with a plastic section, and it's brilliant.

The funky lookin nib is just about one of the nicest nibs I've ever used on a pen ever! Do you hear me!? Should I increase the font size?? And with a little pressure the derned thing FLEXes! I love it! It's firm enough that I can write quite quickly with little line variation, but soft enough that I can get that variation without having to slow down and think about it. Very cool. And the flow seems good enough to keep up with quick drawing, too.

It's got that con-70 filler which, I know, holds a ton of ink, but just doesn't do it for me. I mean, it's WAY better than the 20 and 50 fillers (they're lousy) but I just don't like how stiff the little button is. It's slippery to hold onto and I worry about accidentally jamming the nib into the bottom of whatever bottle I'm filling from. So for that reason I've got a con-20 on there. Easy.

And as far as a pen for drawing goes, I don't see how you could do much better than this. I can see why so many people like it to draw with it. It's just... great-tastic-bu-tastic! I mean really, how can you beat that?

Love this pen.

fpn_1300564929__falcon.jpg

Edited by watch_art

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• watch_art

• benkalziqi

• Glenn-SC

• SlipyNaricis2112

I'm glad that you like it so much! I echo most of your sentiments, and really do love the clip--the subtle curvature, the way it's slightly faceted... and you're right, it's very different in person than online. It's very understated/no-frills, but it's classy as hell.

EDIT: Oh, and the nib and feed! The nib is so simple, but the curves and thin-ness are delightful! And the feed has no visible fins! And rhodium is the best around.

Edited by benkalziqi

It was definitely my favorite pen while I had it. I don't get why people seem to think the nib is ugly in pictures though haha, that was one of the reason's I bought it. Okay, I bought it for the flex, but you get what I'm saying. Enjoy that thing, I sure did.

I love my Falcon. It seems only to improve with age. The line variation is fantastic and it seems to improve my handwriting. If I lost all my pens at once, the Falcon would be the pen I would rush to replace.

www.lettermatters.com

P.O. Box 196 Kingsburg, CA 93631

Opposite colors! :D

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/560483/192220_10150210280814129_795294128_8989785_2047679_o%20%281%29.jpg

Glad you got it for you were looking for a flexible nib. I have one in plastic (resin) and it has shown to be quite durable.

Enjoy your pen!

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg