Montblanc Blue-Black - Cartridges

Sandy1

Please take a moment to adjust your gear to accurately depict the Gray Scale below.

As the patches are neutral gray, that is what you should see.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/InkyThoughts2010/INK576.jpg

~|~Ĩ~|~

Figure 1.

Swabs

Paper: HPJ1124 24 lb. Laser Copy.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Montblanc%20Blue-Black%20Cartridges/db7c19f1.jpg

Figure 2.

NIB-ism ✑

Paper: HPJ1124.

Depicts nibs' line-width and pens' relative wetness.

Link:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Montblanc%20Blue-Black%20Cartridges/th_4b5d0cfc.jpg

Pens: L → R: 440, PPP, Carene.

WRITTEN SAMPLES - Moby Dick

Row height is 8mm.

Figure 3.

Paper: HPJ1124.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Montblanc%20Blue-Black%20Cartridges/fe0979ae.jpg

Figure 4.

Paper: Rhodia.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Montblanc%20Blue-Black%20Cartridges/6d6c2bdd.jpg

Figure 5.

Paper: G Lalo, Verge de France, white.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Montblanc%20Blue-Black%20Cartridges/eeda1473.jpg

Figure 6.

Paper: Royal - 25% rag.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Montblanc%20Blue-Black%20Cartridges/9f130f24.jpg

Figure 7.

Grocery List

Paper: Pulp. One-a-Day calendar page.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Montblanc%20Blue-Black%20Cartridges/7670abb8.jpg

OTHER STUFF

Figure 8.

Smear/Dry Times.

Wet Tests.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Montblanc%20Blue-Black%20Cartridges/47866fb1.jpg

Note:

This Review was generated primarily as reference / documentation of an ink that is mentioned from time to time but does not have an indexed entry for samples. Consequently, the reader is spared most of my banal ramblings, hence may proceed with lowered risk exposure to dozing off.

GENERAL DESCRIPTION

Type: Dye-based fountain pen ink.

Apparently marketed as a visual equivalent to the discontinued Montblanc Blue Black ink, iron-gall content, packaged in 50ml bottles. The supposition is that the gas-permeable cartridge does not protect the i-g ink from undesirable changes.

USE

In terms of appearance, this ink could be used anywhere that the i-g version of MB Blue Black would be used. However, it does not have the 'it' factor unique to i-g inks.

PHYSICAL PERFORMANCE & CHARACTERISTICS

Flow Rate:

• Generous.
  • Controlled.

Nib Dry-out:

• Not seen.

Start-up:

• Immediate.

Lubrication:

• Better than average.
  • Similar to the Montblanc Royal Blue.

Nib Creepies:

• None.

Staining:

• Not seen after three days.

Clogging:

• Not seen.
  • Seems unlikely

Bleed- Show-Through:

• Not seen on papers used. :thumbup:

Feathering / Woolly Line:

• Not seen.

Smear/Dry Times:

• HPJ1124: 10 - 15 seconds
  • Rhodia: 15 - 20
  • Staples 20lb: <5

Water Resistance: ☂

• ③ on the 4S Scale:
    • "All legible, but either very faint and/or has heavy staining from re-deposit of soluble dye.
    • Needs recovery/restoration for anything beyond personal use."

Smell:

• N/A.

Hand oil sensitivity:

• Slight.

Clean Up:

• Prompt and thorough with plain water.

Mixing:

• No prohibitions stated.

Archival:

• Not claimed.

☞ The bottled i-g version was claimed as 'permanent for documents'.

THE LOOK

Saturation:

• About as much as is possible, yet still have shading.

Shading:

• Oh yes indeed!

Variability:

• Pen+nib combos used:
    • A bit less than expected.

[*]Papers used:

• More than expected.

[*]Malleability:

• Quite high.
    • Useful.
    • The wily practitioner would choose their paper first, then match the writer to the paper.

Hi-Res Scans:

As I do not wish to earn the sobriquet 'Queen of The Bandwidth Bandits', these are lynx.

440 on HPJ1124.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Montblanc%20Blue-Black%20Cartridges/th_eb63036e.jpg

PPP on Rhodia.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Montblanc%20Blue-Black%20Cartridges/th_24a3fb72.jpg

Carene on G Lalo.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Montblanc%20Blue-Black%20Cartridges/th_2e99aca2.jpg

PPP on Royal.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Montblanc%20Blue-Black%20Cartridges/th_058b6b50.jpg

FIDELITY

SIMILAR COLOURS

PAPERS

• Very much a matter of personal taste.
  • Ran well on all papers used.

OTHER THAN INK

Presentation :

• 6 (short) Montblanc cartridges in a box.
  • No HazMat warnings.

Origin:

• Germany.

Eco-Green:

• Daft.
  • All should be reusable, recyclable or benign.

Availability:

• Unknown.
  • Circling the drain. (?)

ETC.

Majik:

• Please bring your four-sided dice - mine are in the shop.

Personal Pen & Paper Pick:

• All.

Yickity Yackity:

• Tis a shame this ink was not marketed by the bottle.
  • Ah kushbaby, did this one ever even cross your mind?

<=-+-:-+-=>:<=+-.-+->|<-:->|<-+-.-+=>:<=-+-:-+-=>

MATERIEL USED:

To be relevant to most members, I make an effort to use papers, pens & nibs that are readily available. Pens are factory stock - not customised.

Pens:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/Pen_Scans/th_951522ef.jpg

• Sheaffer 440 + steel F nib.
  • Platinum Presidential Purist + 22K B nib. (swoon)
  • Waterman Carene + 18K factory stub nib.
  • For lines & labels: Pilot 'Lady' + F with Noodler's Burgundy.

On these papers:

• HPJ1124 24 lb. Laser Copy.
  • Rhodia.
  • G Lalo, Verge de France, white.
  • Royal, 25% cotton rag.
  • Pulp. One-a-Day Calendar page.

• Scans were made on an Epson V600 scanner; factory defaults were accepted.
  • Figures shown were scanned at 200 dpi & 24 bit colour.
  • HiRes Images linked were scanned at 300 dpi & 24 bit colour.
  • Scans were not adjusted, so went straight to Photobouquet.

Densitometer Readings (FWIW):

• Red 126
  • Grn 133
  • Blu 165
  • Lum 137

Fine Print:

The accuracy and relevance of this Review depends in great part upon consistency and reliability of materiél used. Ink does not require labelling/notice to indicate (changes in) formulation, non-hazardous ingredients, batch ID, date of manufacture, etc. As always, YMMV, not only from materials, methods, environment, etc., but also due to differences between the stuff in the bottle I used, and that in bottle you may have.

Also, I entrust readers to separate opinion from fact; to evaluate inferences and conclusions as to their merit; and to be amused by whatever tickles your fancy.

-30-

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• Thornton

• lapis

• ethernautrix

Judged visually/optically/subjectively, what differences do you see between this ink and the iron- gall ink? Not permanence, just "colour"?

Thanks

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Judged visually/optically/subjectively, what differences do you see between this ink and the iron- gall ink? Not permanence, just "colour"?

Thanks

Mike

Hi,

As time and tides permit, I plan to post written samples of the MBBlBk, subsequently a Comparison of the two inks.

At present, I am at risk of seeing what I want to see, but will say that I do not see a huge difference in 'just colour'.

I speculate that the visual difference/s may be very much more subtle than just colour. I further speculate that the Flow (wet - dry) difference may well play a role.

Bye,

S1

Great review as always. I've often wondered how the cartridge version of MB Blue-Black compares to the bottle version which is a favorite of mine. I'll definitely be picking up a box of cartridges sooner rather than later.

"Instant gratification takes too long."-Carrie Fisher

Great review as always. I've often wondered how the cartridge version of MB Blue-Black compares to the bottle version which is a favorite of mine. I'll definitely be picking up a box of cartridges sooner rather than later.

Hi,

Thank-you for the compliment!

Certainly, I've done this as a matter of documenting an ink that may disappear from the market without so much as a whisper. And perceived necessity, aka curiosity.

I look forward to reading your impressions of this ink.

Bye,

Sandy1

Off-Topic:

I have no idea about Montblanc's plans to replace/relabel this ink as Midnight Blue. I have heard scuttlebutt that only Mystery Black and Royal Blue will be offered in cartridges - but that's to be taken with a large grain of salt. (That's all I've seen on their site.) Perhaps those who use MB cartridges pens are / will be refilling them with the i-g Midnight Blue. (?)

S1

Hi,

Thank-you for the compliment!

Certainly, I've done this as a matter of documenting an ink that may disappear from the market without so much as a whisper. And perceived necessity, aka curiosity.

I look forward to reading your impressions of this ink.

Bye,

Sandy1

Off-Topic:

I have no idea about Montblanc's plans to replace/relabel this ink as Midnight Blue. I have heard scuttlebutt that only Mystery Black and Royal Blue will be offered in cartridges - but that's to be taken with a large grain of salt. (That's all I've seen on their site.) Perhaps those who use MB cartridges pens are / will be refilling them with the i-g Midnight Blue. (?)

S1

Interesting. I think Paradise Pen and Fountain Pen Hospital still offer the full range of cartridges on their sites. I think it would be foolish of MB to only offer two color choices in cartridge form. Especially since they have a fair number of cartridge only pens.

"Instant gratification takes too long."-Carrie Fisher

Another superb review from Sandy1!

I like the color, particularly the PPP on Royal. I'll have to get a box of these cartridges and try them for myself. I'm wondering how they compare to Pelikan Blue-Black cartridges.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

... and/or... how they compare to Lamy's blue-black in their cartridge. We all know about the differences between MB's b-b in the bottle and Lamy's b-b in the bottle (however subtle those differences are) but are there also such diffs between the cartridges?

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Yet another great review. I'm definitely interested in seeing a comparison with the bottled BlBlk.

Music, verily, is the mediator between intellectual and sensuous life, the one incorporeal entrance into the high world of knowledge which comprehends mankind but which mankind cannot comprehend. -Ludwig van Beethoven

Thanks

Mike

Link to Comparison : 50ml Bottle :: Cartridge

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/189912-comparison-montblanc-blue-black-50ml-bottle-cartridge/page__view__findpost__p__1917837