Pelikan 120 Review

FPK

After my great uncle died, my dad inherited his large collection of lower range calligraphy pens. However, there are a couple more distinguished writers in his box. One of them is a Pelikan 120 with a Fine (more like a medium actually) stub.

1.First Impressions-It is a thick light, and seemingly well built pen. This particular model is in black. The streamlined shape looks really nice, and the pen is well balanced. A interesting part of the 120-140 models is their removable clip and cap top. This makes it so that if you drop the pen and break the clip, than it can be easily replaced. F.I Rating: 9/10

2.Design-The pen is thick--so far the thickest pen in the house. The screw style cap screw in nicely with a high pitched click that sounds like water. Like the Lamy 2000, the pen slowly tapers until the nib, with out any of the nib section flare in the way. The ink view window however, is actually useful (unlike the 2k); it's clear plastic easily letting you see the ink left. The body is smooth, semi gloss, and beautiful in a subdued way. For me, this is defiantly one of my favorite designs yet. Rating: 8.5/10

3.Nib and Writing Experience- The nib is a vintage monotone steel nib. It has a different design than the vintage 400 nibs; looking more like an Omas, for it is thinner. The Fine lays down a semi wet line that is quite smooth. My only complaint is the angle variation--since 120 nibs are stubs (I think), you can only write with the pen at one angle. The nib, flex wise, is a dream: Just enough flex to make it fun, but not so much as to bleed through paper. In all, I really like the nib for what it is. Rating: 7.8/10

4.Filling System- The classic Pelikan piston fill. It is a smooth piston, but the ink capacity seems low, for the plunger stops right after the ink window. Even so, the pen usually gets a good fill, and there have been no further problems. Rating: 6.8/10

5. Conclusion- For a step up from a Lamy Safari or Pelikano, this is a great pen. Everyday writing is it's specialty, and I wouldn't mind taking it everywhere. Though no longer in production, it is not too hard to find replacement parts for the pen. If you want a great steel nibbed vintage writer with a no-glam attitude, this is a fantastic choice. Overall Rating: 32.1/40=81%

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ndrwcn

• anaximander

• Sagar_C

• FPK

Good review! Thanks for giving due props to an under-rated pen. I have a 120 and find that it writes better than a lot of higher end pens.

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the review. I am considering several vintage Pelikans at the moment, and I may just add this to the list.

" Gladly would he learn and gladly teach" G. Chaucer

120s and 140s are outstanding, reliable, underrated pens. I find 140s really easy to write with (I collect them and have quite a few, more than 120s).

Kushbaby

I like eating peanuts with chopsticks...

• 3 months later...

My 120 has a vintage gold plated steel nib 'regular' F, that is smooth and sharp writing. It is a joy to write with.

For me that gold plated steel F nib is as good as my M400 '90-96 14 K M nib. (Both are tied for # 13 of my nibs)

Both a touch better than my modern stiffer blobbier 605.

My 140 (#4/5/6 nib/pen depending on mood) is a semi-flex OB that too is a grand nib. My 400NN (# 2 nib/pen)is a maxi-semi-flex/'flexi' OF.

I find my self reaching for that 120 often, in the nib is a joy to write with.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• 2 years later...

Just dug out my old 120 today.

It was put away 30 years ago with ink and after about an hour of distilled water and ammonia solution it was expelling clear. Dried it and inked it and I'm so sorry I had put this one away.

But she is back and in rotation now.

• 6 months later...

I have a Pelikan 120, and while it writes great, the cap is missing the clip. You mention that parts are easy to find for this - can you point me towards where I might find some? Either an entirely new cap, or just the clip and part that screws on to hold the cap in place (the filial?) is what I would need.

-Words matter. Choose them carefully.

I have several 120s and love them. A couple have gone through Pendleton Brown's hands and when I'm using them. I figure they're about as good as anything out there, IMHO. Two are missing parts, as is yours, and sorry to say I've looked on and off for parts for several years with no luck. Maybe someone with a hoard will see this and let a few go--at a sensible price. That would b nice.

I am finding the same to be true. I have endeavored to find them used, and failed. Those who have them, use them, and are not letting them go.

I am glad that what I have works so well, even if it is missing the clip. Tis not pretty, but it doesn't matter when the nib hits the page.

-Words matter. Choose them carefully.