Nomadic Pe-10 Tri-Fold Or Envelope Case

John the Monkey

Nomadic are a Japanese company that makes a bewildering array of pencil cases, electronics cases and bags, with interiors that allow you to organise the stuff you're carrying to varying degrees, and according to your preference.

WHY?

On my cycle commute, I've been carrying my writing stuff to work in a "pouch" style case, and latterly in the pen slots of my rather nicely designed Brompton "C" bag. On the "normal" commute (on a full size bike rather than the Brompton), I use a Carradice saddlebag, which is brilliant, but lacks any internal organisation at all. With this bag, I use the aforementioned pouch style case, and having everything lumped in together led to some distressing scratches on my Rotring Esprit pen.

On switching back to the "normal" commute, after winter this year, and thus the Carradice saddlebag, I figured I needed a better solution for organising things in the bag.

WHAT?

http://posterous.com/getfile/files.posterous.com/temp-2011-03-10/jdftxCoGrIsJefIACcnuJcJvIBzFfngjqpbffJvHIEpBykyshFAICpBovimf/08032011254.jpg.scaled1000.jpg

The Nomadic PE-10, Closed

Nomadic's PE-10 "Tri Fold" case (sometimes called the "envelope" case) seemed like the best bet for me. Try as I might, I couldn't find a UK supplier for these (note to UK suppliers - you could CLEAN UP selling these things here, they are BRILLS) so mine is from online stationery emporium "Jet Pens".

HOW?

http://posterous.com/getfile/files.posterous.com/temp-2011-03-10/ulununJehCqEyoEEvogxigchccxyAIboFucusckfgqAqloyzxkswvwhBhCGa/08032011255.jpg.scaled1000.jpg

The Nomadic PE-10, Open. Note the velcro strip down the side - the case closes VERY securely.

What appeals is the way everything can be given its own slot - no nasty scratches or fumbling about in the bag for me anymore! The case also unfolds to lie flat, so everything is ready for use and nicely organised.

In the pen slots are:

Back Row, (L-R);

Staedtler Mars Micro 0.9mm mechanical pencil (but Staedtler lead is horrid and squeaky - I use Pentel).

Lamy Safari EF fountain pen filled with Lamy Blue

Schneider Base LH fountain pen filled with Diamine Imperial Purple

Parker Jotter Ballpoint (with a Parker Gel refill in black)

Parker Jotter Fountain pen filled with J. Herbin Perle Noire

Parker Jotter Mechanical Pencil (0.5mm)

Front Row (L-R);

Rotring Esprit (nifty telescopic fountain pen, now sold as the "Parker Esprit") filled with Diamine Monaco Red

Worther Shorty Clutch Pencil (3.15mm lead) black

Worther Shorty Clutch Pencil (3.15mm lead) blue

The pen slots aren't the whole story of the PE-10 though.

http://posterous.com/getfile/files.posterous.com/temp-2011-03-10/bdHtHFgrdqlcdjFdJArDgGwIFhBxGwogahbFcEihdalwyJFkcJkudBtbcrEy/08032011256.jpg.scaled1000.jpg

Pocket 1 - Behind the Left hand Pen Slots

Behind the left hand side pen slots is an top opening pocket that extends about 3/4 of the height of the case. I use this for spare cartridges, and "Post It" note tabs (these are fantastic little things, I use them for marking items of significance in books, diaries & planners, and as dividers in the "notes" part of my Filofax). This pocket doesn't have a closure, but I've yet to find that anything has "escaped" from here.

http://posterous.com/getfile/files.posterous.com/temp-2011-03-10/qbcklueggJJAergEBmqstmxJthAeGaGFxahjJkHCJEdjsaqByorwgBnkyJbm/08032011257.jpg.scaled1000.jpg

Pocket 2 - at the top of the middle section of the case

At the top of the middle section is a small pocket, closed by a velcro strip. This is just about large enough for a small Staedtler Rasoplast eraser, and my SanDisk USB MicroSD card reader.

http://posterous.com/getfile/files.posterous.com/temp-2011-03-10/clfkItrDBfvnsHqkdgagJxcjvrggfICeFhHsslkgkasyHetBoehChaIoufzh/08032011258.jpg.scaled1000.jpg

Pocket 3 - behind the middle section's pen slots

Behind the middle section's pen slots is a full length "slot" type pocket - I don't keep much in here beyond a usb key and my headphones. I'd really like this pocket if it had a zip closure, and/or was wide enough for a Rhodia 11 pad (it isn't *quite* there, sadly).

IN SUMMARY

The PE-10 is great - a very practical way to organise my stuff & keep it safe, and I've not had the problems others have described with losing items from the case when it's not stored upright (although all my pens have pocket clips, and I do use those to clip to the case's slots). It has the advantages of a pen or a tool wrap (separating your pens so they don't scratch each other and can be organised), with an unfussy closure and some useful extras (like the pockets, and pen slots that are different sizes - Parker Jotters being slimmer than Lamy Safaris, or Worther Shortys). The material is a tough "ripstop" nylon, the stitching is nicely finished, and the overall impression is of solid build quality. Although the case isn't padded, using the "slot" pockets (and putting the right things in them) should provide a degree of protection to the pens & pencils inside when the case is closed.

For perfection? Make that middle slot pocket a smidge wider, and zipped, and get a UK/European distributor!

(Bona Fides: No affiliation to Jet Pens, or Nomadic - the item was purchased at full price, with my own money).

Excerpted from a (slightly) longer review on my Blog - I thought here, I'd not have to justify the number of pens I carry, so I removed those paragraphs! Apologies for the camera phone pics & oily finger.

Edited by John the Monkey

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• John the Monkey

• WillSW

• clickiechick

• nicholasyeo

Top Posters In This Topic

Great review. I like this case just for the individual pen slots. I have a few open compartment cases from Jet Pens and while they do fit a lot, it would be easier to see what's missing with slots.

Does the case really close well when it's all packed fat?

Those Worther pencils are the best. Very hard to find in the states.

Edited by clickiechick

Wassup wid that, homes? Looks like you're WANT to feel the hurt. -ethernautrix

I tend towards the Nomadic PD-04, which is a roll up case.

I didn't buy it, though, because it was expensive to ship.

I got my custom made black suede pouch instead!

Does the case really close well when it's all packed fat?

The velcro strip is pretty wide - I guess you could stress it by overfilling the middle slot pocket, but you'd have to really stuff the case with things for that to happen. With mine filled as you see it there, it closes to a roll that's about 9cm (3 1/2 in, roughly) across, and 6cm high (2 1/3 in, approx.) It's not a "tight" roll, so there would be scope to stuff it more, if I needed to carry more, I think. I've seen another reviewer use the middle slot pocket for a long, thin Muji doodle pad, I'm quite tempted to try and find something similar.

The velcro is strong too - don't expect to open this case unnoticed in a meeting, *rrrrrrip!*

Those Worther pencils are the best. Very hard to find in the states.

I love them - great for fast, loose sketching. Maybe we should do some kind of exchange, you guys can send us the pencil cases, we euros will send you the pencils :)

A Jotter filled with Herbin? More info on that?

Not much to it really, picked up a Parker converter, and use that with bottled Perle Noire. Perle Noire is a good match for the Jotter, I think, one of my more dependable workhorse pens with an unfussy, reliable (and rather nice) ink.

I tend towards the Nomadic PD-04, which is a roll up case.

I didn't buy it, though, because it was expensive to ship.

http://www.ec-nomadic.com/products/detail.php?product_id=301

This one? Actually, that looks really good - folk who had trouble with losing things from the PE-10 would like the fact that you can zip it closed. Less scope to really pack the case is what you lose, I suppose. Lower number of pen slots too, I think.

I got my custom made black suede pouch instead!

Nice! I'd love something like that, although a bike bag would be no place for it!

Edited by John the Monkey

The velcro is strong too - don't expect to open this case unnoticed in a meeting, *rrrrrrip!*

That's the other thing! Where I use my pencils, I can't exactly go around making rrrrrip rrrrrip sounds. Zip zip attracts far less attention.

I love them - great for fast, loose sketching. Maybe we should do some kind of exchange, you guys can send us the pencil cases, we euros will send you the pencils :)

Hmm...you have a great idea there. I've been wishing for a trading buddy from across the pond ever since Kaweco became harder to find in the U.S.!

Edited by clickiechick

Wassup wid that, homes? Looks like you're WANT to feel the hurt. -ethernautrix

A Jotter filled with Herbin? More info on that?

Not much to it really, picked up a Parker converter, and use that with bottled Perle Noire. Perle Noire is a good match for the Jotter, I think, one of my more dependable workhorse pens with an unfussy, reliable (and rather nice) ink.

Ah, I always forget the Jotter is also a fountain pen. Thanks.