Can Nib Be Repaired?

justmeinva2001

i have a couple of esterbrook pens that feel rough and scratchy on the paper when writing with them, can they be repaired or must i replace them? new to pen collecting so thanks for any help in advance!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• justmeinva2001

• osnofian

• welch

• rickboone

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

esterbrook.net has plenty of them as well. it's where i got mine. you can do some tweaking to them, yes. but to send it out average price is like $25+ from what I've seen. A new NOS nib is as little as $6.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

I have found that Lisa and Brian Anderson (esterbrook.net and this forum) have the best selection of NOS Estie nibs. I just received three 9668 nibs at $15 each. My favorite nibs, reliable source.

If you have a 1xxx or 2xxx series nib, it is more economical to buy NOS.

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

i have a couple of esterbrook pens that feel rough and scratchy on the paper when writing with them, can they be repaired or must i replace them? new to pen collecting so thanks for any help in advance!

post-44619-0-36540500-1298150570.jpg

Now, why are nibs snagging preferably on the upward stroke? Everyone writes with a different position of the pen. Snagging pens are mostly those which have been used a long time by a person with a relatively flat hold. Using the pen in a slightly more upright position, causes the sharp edge to bite in the paper. I tried to illustrate this in the attached drawing. At least that's the way I can explain it.

To make the nib writing smooth again, you have to grind away the sharp edges, not only on the front edge, but also on the sides. Beside Esterbrooks I am collecting Wearevers, a brand that neither does have the exchangeable nibs nor does it have the quality of the Esterbrook nibs. So I was forced to do this with almost every other pen. To grind away the sharp edges I use first abrasive paper with grain 1000 and then non glazed porcelain or fine earthen ware. Works like a dream.

Thus I could transform non writing nibs into very good gliding writing instruments again. Of course they don't take daily writing for years and years again like a new nib, but you can write with them perfectly again.

swisspenpal

WOW Thanks to everyone that replied! I have been involved with alot of hobbies before but never one where everyone is so helpful! i would like to suggest nobody get involved in racing or golf, because the only advice you will get from folks there are lies lol. thank you so much for the help.

I don't have much to add, just that buying a 9xxx replacement nib may be better for you in the long run, as they are iridium tipped and will last much longer than their 1xxx and 2xxx counterparts.

Gobblecup ~