Field Notes Paper New Vs Old

zenrabbit

In a previous thread reviewing the new Field Notes Steno Pad a comment was left by someone from Field Notes indicating that the paper that they used had changed beginning with the winter colors Balsam Fir edition and future editions would contain this new paper. I have used Field Notes for a couple of years and was curious about the change. Generally I have been happy with their performance with fountain pens. I will note, however, that I prefer fine to extra-fine nibs because my handwriting is small. Below is a scan of two Field Notes notebooks comparing writing samples from various nib sizes and inks. On the left is a notebook from the ninth printing, January 2009 containing Boise Offset Smooth 50#T "White" paper (per the info in the notebook). On the right is a notebook from the Balsam Fir edition listed in the notebook as first printing, December 2010, containing French Paper Opaque Smooth 50#T "Bright White" (again per info in the notebook).

post-14259-0-68947500-1297571653.jpg

As the Field Notes person noted in the Steno Book thread, there is not a significant difference in the two papers regarding their performance. I feel that they both perform well with fine and extra fine nibs that do not lay down a lot of ink. I do not see any feathering and minimal bleed-through. The two nibs that I used that were wetter (the Esterbrook 2442 and 2314B nibs) both seem a little crisper on the new paper than the old, although there does not seem to be any true feathering on either paper. The difference is fairly subtle and may not show up well on the scan. Every type of paper and/or notebook has it's fans and detractors, I just thought I'd post this for anyone who might be curious about the change in the paper being used.

I suppose I would summarize by saying that if you prefer finer nibs and dryer inks then you will probably have good results with the paper used in Field Notes notebooks. Those who like broader, wetter writing nibs might experience a bit of blurring and some bleed-through. I continue to be a fan of these notebooks and use them with fountain pens as well as pencils.

Just to be clear, not affiliated with Field Notes, just a long time user.

The secret of zen is just two words, not always so.

Shunryu Suzuki

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zenrabbit

• dennis_f

• blopplop

• KrazyIvan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for posting the comparison ZenRabbit.

I've been using FieldNotes for quite some time now but havn't had a chance to pick up any of the latest notebooks... which is to say, I'm glad you posted this and gave us a headsup on the new paper.

Any comments regarding showthrough or bleedthrough to the other side of the page? I take it there was little or none?

D.

There is some show-through on both the old paper and the new. I think this aspect has improved some with the new paper although there is still more than I would prefer. It is nice to have a paper on which you can write on both sides and have no show-through or bleed-through at all. I fell like this is the weakest point for the Field Notes paper. Here is the scan of the back sides of the pages from above.

post-14259-0-71518000-1297835766.jpg

The secret of zen is just two words, not always so.

Shunryu Suzuki

I had lots of feathering and bleed through. That is one of the main reasons I switched. I may try a new set of books and see if it has improved. I never really noticed it until I started using fountain pens. For ballpoints and pencil, Field Notes is very good. I just find that bleed through was greatly reduced when I switched to doane paper and Clairefontaine/Rhodia. More so with Clairefontaine/Rhodia but doane paper is acceptable.

Another thing that bugged me is that Field Notes did not withstand the rigors of being in a pant pocket. Still testing that aspect with my other notebooks.

I really like doane paper's grid+lines concept. Doane paper is supposed to release a limited edition book with paper from France this Friday. The paper company name escapes me right now but it is posted on their facebook page.

Dot pads are also on my highly regarded list.

Edited by KrazyIvan

I like the feel and look of the Field Note pads. But they're not FP friendly at all, which is why I stopped using them. I'd like to see if the new one's are better after I finish up using the wonderful Claire Fontaine Roadbooks I've been using.

Dave

2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

http://www.the-highw..._questions.html

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii208/blopplop/fpn-verm.jpg

• 2 years later...

To me the Finch Paper Opaque Smooth 50#T "Bright White" shows more bleedthrough than the earlier Boise Offset Smooth 50#T "White". I liked the earlier paper more. Thought that was OK for fps.

Singapore Fountain Pen Lovers on Facebook

I love the concept of Field Notes and all credit to them for what they are trying to do. But the conrstant changes of paper made me drop these very early on. The first runs had paper that took FP very well but changes since then have meant I can't buy on trust. It's a shame because I love their whole philosophy.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png