Edison Pen Co.-Stilwell

fmon56

The Stilwell is the newest addition to my Edison Pen Collection which now numbers 8. My first experience with Brian Gray was a custom commission which eventually became the # 76, now part of the Edison Pen Co. line. Needless to say I have the celluloid LE and bulb filler versions of the same pen. While I haven’t reviewed the other pens in my Edison collection after acquiring the Stilwell I had to extol the virtues of Brian and his pens. Being a long time client of Brian’s I knew the Stilwell, as yet unnamed, was in the works but had no idea what it would look like. Prior to its announcement Brian gave me a sneak peak at the prototype, I was blown away, I put my order in immediately! The pictures are courtesy of Brian.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/fmon56/DSCN0004.jpghttp://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/fmon56/DSCN0005.jpg

First Impressions (10 of 10) The pictures don’t do this pen justice. It’s even more amazing in real life. Personally, I think this is Brian’s best pen design yet. He attention to detail even goes down to the packaging. The pen was enclosed in a cushioned pouch to protect the parts of the overly from getting caught on the satin ribbon that normally holds the pen in place in the box.

Appearance & Design (10 of 10) I chose red hard rubber with the gold finish overlay for my pen. I thought that combination would give it the look and feel of the classic overlay pens of long ago. The overlay is very well executed with a delicate art deco look. It is a floral design that has the Edison name on the cap overlay. If you look closely you can even find the Edison light bulb logo in the barrel overlay. Also, when you cap the pen the overlays line up so you can see the continuous flow of the design, that’s a real attention to detail.

Weight and Dimensions(10 of 10) The Stilwell is a well balanced pen and a fairly good size when posted. The posted length is 7 inches with an uncapped length of 5 1/8 inches and a capped length of 5 3/4 inches. The diameters are .500 inch for the barrel and .595 inch for the cap. The pen weighs 26g when capped and 16g uncapped.

Nib and Performance (10 of 10) I chose an 18K gold nib which Brian custom ground to a 1.1mm cursive italic. As with all my Edison pens ink flow is good. I can honestly say I’ve never had an Edison pen skip, ever. The cursive italic has a nice line variation. Brian will tune your nib whichever way you like. The pen pictured has a two tone steel nib which was replaced with the 18K gold before it was shipped.

Filling and Maintenance (10 of 10) Filling is the standard cartridge or converter. As an added bonus you can use the Stilwell as an eyedropper filler. Just apply a little silicone grease to the section and blind cap threads and you’re all set. A word of caution, according to Brian the barrel overlay is held in place by the blind cap and will turn when the blind cap is loosened. Also, the cap is applied with a bit of torque so it will be tight. The eyedropper fill method will considerably increase the amount of ink the pen holds. I’m fanatical about pen maintenance, you have to keep it clean! I flush pens when I take them out of rotation and flush them between refills. I have an Edison Huron that has had nothing but a steady diet of Penman Sapphire that functions perfectly every time!

Cost and Value (10 of 10) While the Stilwell is the most costly in the Edison regular line it is well worth the investment given the craftsmanship and personalized attention you get from Brian. You are getting what amounts to a bespoke pen that is made with your choice of material, nib and finish of the fittings. You don’t find a values like this very often.

Conclusion (10 of 10) Edison pens have quickly become my favorite pens. The quality of the craftsmanship and the level of service are second to none. Many pens have come and gone from my collection over the years but Edison pens are here to stay. I am looking forward to future offerings…. Brian is always thinking!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• watch_art

• fmon56

• bgray

• Gobblecup

I am really interested in an Edison italic, how does the 1.1 write?

Pictures? :rolleyes:

To hold a pen is to be at war

-Voltaire

short and sweet review of a well designed pen. the section looks very writer friendly and must be a pleasure to hold. it is best looking pen that i have seen in the edison collection. any chance of a writing sample, pls?

enjoy. :cloud9:

rgds.

krishna.

ladies and gentlemen write with fountain pens only.

TS you mentioned that you chose red hard rubber (which I assume to be ebonite) but the pen appears to be orange to me. Is it just my monitor or is the color supposed to be like that?

Please check out my blogshop for fountain pens and inks at http://inkoholicanonymous.blogspot.com/ Reviews of my pens can be found there too!

TS you mentioned that you chose red hard rubber (which I assume to be ebonite) but the pen appears to be orange to me. Is it just my monitor or is the color supposed to be like that?

That's the typical color for red hard rubber. It's something we just don't talk about.

I am really interested in an Edison italic, how does the 1.1 write?

Pictures? :rolleyes:

Ink flow is good with good line variation. The nib is smooth with just a little bit of tooth. Sorry, no way to post writing samples.

Thank you for posting this review!

I have the Stilwell, too, though I chose black with rhodium. It is truly remarkable. Unfortunately, this pen has fought all my photo attempts. Your photos and Brian's photos do the most justice to the beauty of the pen, so I'll leave it there.

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

'cause all the pens I've ever seen over the years that have been posted are ploughed away. Graf, Montegrappa and some otherss have thought that one out. But Nakaya and others would just get scarred. Thanks

Does it post well or does it have a wee bit of wobble while posted?

No wobble when posted. With the taper of the blind cap I don't see much chance of scratching if you're careful when you post the cap. This pen was well though out in the design stage.

• 2 weeks later...

It would be nice to see a writing sample. Does seem to be a bit biased since every category was given an anabashed 10. Is this the perfect pen?

Rich

Poxy

Life is like a 10 speed bike, Most of us have gears we never use. Charles Schulz

It would be nice to see a writing sample. Does seem to be a bit biased since every category was given an anabashed 10. Is this the perfect pen?

Rich

For me....yes!

your pen looks like a lot the visconti alhambra. very nice pen :thumbup:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 1 month later...