Which Demo Should I Get?

nicholasyeo

Pick a demo! (Multiple allowed)  

82 members have voted

1. 1. What demonstrator would you suggest getting?

• Pelikan M1005 Demonstrator
    • Pelikan M800 Demonstrator
    • Pilot Custom 823 Demonstrator
    • Pilot Custom Heritage 92 Demonstrator

Having started off this trend in my buying habits with the Sailor Pro Gear Demo,

I was interested in the M800 demonstrator. However, it was not available, and I

now have to either wait for another to come by (which it may never), or get yet

another one from another brand! A pity though, that Pilot doesn't make those

OM nibs like Pelikan does, and have them easily switched around... :hmm1:

I know some of the pens are not comparable to the others, but if you were me,

which demonstrator would you say has good quality, and will not be too expensive?

No, this is not a search for the best demo in the market, it is a search for my next

pen... Thank you for your insights! :thumbup:

Pelikan M1005 Demonstrator

http://www.pelikanpens.co.uk/acatalog/DemoM1005solo.jpg

Pelikan M800 Demonstrator

http://www.nibs.com/www/WEBSITE%20PICS/Pelikan%20website%20pics/M800DemoGFTMarked_UnCapped.jpg

Pilot Custom Heritage 92 Demonstrator

http://www.pilot.co.jp/MungoBlobs/fkvh_15srs.jpg

Pilot Custom 823 Demonstrator

http://ujuku.ath.cx/ujuku-shop/kaimono/fountain_pen/pilot/fountainpen/Jpeg/fkk3mprc_b.jpg

If there are other even more fantastic options that were not seen in the poll, tell me

about them below! I hope they don't cost a bomb!! :puddle:

If you like, you may also visit: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/123294-clear-demonstrator-festival/

WOW, that is lovely! Such a great variety of demonstrator photographs. :notworthy1:

Edited by nicholasyeo

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nicholasyeo

• saskia_madding

• Silvermink

• RMN

TWSBI with an aftermarket 14K Gold Nib. Costs less than $100 US and will write as well as any of the ones listed.

Then you can save your money and buy another pen to go with it!

:)

this year, or this month, or, more likely, this very day, we have failed to practice ourselves the kind of behavior we expect from other people.

~ C.S. Lewis

I voted for the Pilot. The 823 is truly fine instrument. The filling mechanism is fun and easy to use. Did I mention it holds tons & tons of ink. It also has perfect balance posted & unposted.

The Pelikan's have their own draw though... The quick twist cap (half-rotation to lock/unlock), piston filler than is cool, and of course interchangeable nibs. Between the M800 & M1005; I would personally get M800 if you don't mind posting. The M800 is designed to be posted if you have big hands. If you don't want to post; then it is M10XX all the way, even the pilot is not really long enough for really big hands (6+ ft height frame).

I think of my FPs as my children.

I voted for the Custom 823 (cool mechanism) and the M1005 (awesome nib).

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

Sailor 1911 (I prefer the M over the fullsized)

I already have a Sapporo demo and a Pro Gear demo, so no more

Sailor demos for me! HAHA, of course the TWISBI is nice, but I

don't seem to know how I can get one of those 14K nibs here...

Maybe when they launch their own gold nibs I will get one!!!!

A quick twist cap doesn't mean much to me... I don't mind secure

cap fits, and I rarely have to quickly write things.

What would you suggest to me, M800/Heritage 92? In terms of

quality and reliability? :thumbup:

I voted for the Custom 823 (cool mechanism) and the M1005 (awesome nib).

HEH! AWESOME NIB INDEED!

I have a Pilot 92 demo with a M nib and like it. It is the smallest of the pens (I think) that you have listed. A nice little piston filler with a mechanism comparable to a Pelikan. Understated. Right out of the box the pen wrote smoothly without any tweeking.

I also have a Pilot 823, but not (yet) the clear demo. It is a bigger pen and has a much larger ink capacity. I post my pens when I write, and I like the length of this pen in my hand. And, no, I don't have huge hands.

When I compare the Pelikan 800 to the 1000, my vote is for the 1000 for its size and weight. Don't have a demo in either, however. But if I were to get 1 or the other, I would go for the 1005. And since I have a P92 and a P823, guess I would vote for the Pelikan.

Did view Pilot 74 in the link above - recent testdrive, fit my hand perfectly, the slight flex springy nib was Wow surprise ! now tops my list.

Q:Is the 74 larger than 93, but smaller than 823? larger number = larger pen size? or is the design/nib/furniture different?

Edited by pen2paper

Did view Pilot 94 in the link above - recent testdrive, fit my hand perfectly, the slight flex springy nib was Wow surprise ! now tops my list.

Q:Is the 94 larger than 93, but smaller than 823? larger number = larger pen size? or is the design/nib/furniture different?

Sorry, what is the 94? I have not heard of a Pilot 94, but a Heritage 92 and Custom 74

Did view Pilot 94 in the link above - recent testdrive, fit my hand perfectly, the slight flex springy nib was Wow surprise ! now tops my list.

Q:Is the 94 larger than 93, but smaller than 823? larger number = larger pen size? or is the design/nib/furniture different?

Sorry, what is the 94? I have not heard of a Pilot 94, but a Heritage 92 and Custom 74

:doh: < very weary brain here.. Custom 74

:doh: < very weary brain here.. Custom 74

Mmm, a slightly flexy nib is nice...

But the Heritage 92 has a piston

filler system!!!! I like that... As for

the numbers, I think the design is

different. From what I see though,

the nib design is the same...

m1005 and if you are lucky enough vintage mb 149 demonstrator

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

m1005 and if you are lucky enough vintage mb 149 demonstrator

Score me one of those 149 demos while you're at it. ;)

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

I am going to present myself with the Pel 1005.

The Aurora Demonstrator with red auroloid is also nice, bought that last year wit Auroras crisp italic nib.

And fellow FPNer Fountainbel is going launch a penline of his own design starting with a demonstrator.... Which I am going to get as well.. :puddle:

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I really like the looks of the Custom 823... Is it easy to find in Europe?

I got an M800 demo but I'm not that fond of its nib. Much prefer the nib in my M1000, though mine is not a demo. I had never seen an M1000 demo yet.

No so difficult over here in Asia! Well good luck with those searches, and also, try Rakuten.

Of those listed in the poll, I say Pilot Custom 823.

However. . . I've got to ask the obvious question. . . Why isn't the TWSBI at the top of your list? It's the one demonstrator that's been causing most excitement lately, and not without good reasons.

Haha, the TWISBI is out of the question because I have already decided to get one, sooner or later, since of it's revolutionary qualities...

Haha, the TWISBI is out of the question because I have already decided to get one, sooner or later, since of it's revolutionary qualities...

Good answer!

Go for one of the Pilots, I find their value un-beatable!

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png