2550 Nib Tine Clearing?

SusanS

I have a 2550 nib that came with my two hole dollar pen. Yes I know it's an EF. I ran the nib through my cheap-o ultrasonic cleaner (before it died...) and put it back on the pen. Inked it up. Dry (as in not writing even a faint line). Ran some water over the nib to jump start flow. Dry. Gave the lever a little pump to jump start. Wetter but no cigar. Water test of water in the sac and squishing it out the nib using the lever works just fine. Changed to a different ink. Press the tines open a bit while writing. Beautiful line. So maybe petrified gunk in between the tines? Tried with my jumpy hands and crappy eyesight to run a piece of paper through the tines....Well I can't do it. I don't have immediate access to a brass flosser or other suggested items. Any other ideas? (like trade in the nib....)

I've fallen down the Estie well....

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SusanS

• Paddler

Top Posters In This Topic

It could be that the the tines are to close together... You could try this - Gently, and I mean veeeeeeeeeeeeeery gently, press the tip of the nib down on your fingernail and spread the tines slightly. just press it up and down like that a few times and it might help. Sometime just manipulating the tines like that will help. your not really trying to bend them so much as just work them up and down.

Do not try dental floss. I tried that once before... headsmack.gif It makes a huge mess...

Alternately you could take a very thin knife and side it between the tines to try and spread em'. I've done that once and though I don't recommend it it did work.

I think manipulating the tines it what it needs though. My Parker "51" had the same exact problem when I first got it.

Hope this helps you.

Regards,

Edited by 777

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

I suggest that before you try to spread the tines to increase the flow, you try flossing with some Polyester or Nylon sewing thread. Right now, I am using Gütermann thread from my sewing kit. Don't use cotton thread; it will shed fibers and leave them between the tines. Loop the thread over your thumbnail and press the nib's point on top of it until the tines spread and trap the thread between them. Then slide the thread down the slit to the breather hole and pull it out there. This procedure will clean out any dried ink between the tines and between the nib and feed (if you do the procedure once on each side).

Paddler

Can a calculator understand a cash register?

• 2 weeks later...

Here to report (finally!!) that I got the 2550 to write with a combination of things. First soaked and rinsed it yet again, then tried the working the tines up and down. Then gave up until my Noodlers Blue Eel came in. That seemed to do the trick!! Though today it is suffering from nib creep.

I've fallen down the Estie well....