Montblanc 149 - Broad

razr

First impressions

Beautifully packaged in a little velvet-like lined box holding the 149 and a bottle of MB Mystery Black. On a side note, I had ordered it from Worldlux and asked them if they could substitute a bottle of MB Midnight Blue ink. Todd at Worldlux said sure, no problem. When I received the package there was a handwritten note from Nate at Worldlux telling me that the bottle size wouldn't fit the 149 so they threw in the MB Midnight Blue ink for free. Actually, both of the bottles were the same "new" shape. Oh well, I thought this a nice gesture and I think I'll be getting to know everyone who works at Worldlux more in the near future!!

Nib

I originally had a BB on order from another vendor but a month went by and no word as to an estimated ETA. I figured that I would go ahead and order the B size, and if I didn't like it within 6 weeks I could do the nib exchange. The nib is beautiful. It's a little less flexible and a little less wetter from my Pelikan M1000 nib, but great feedback.

Posted!

I've always used my pens posted. In fact, if a pen didn't post it was usually transferred out of my collection. I had read some FPN members state that they thought posting a 149 made it feel out of balance. I guess since I've been using my M1000 posted for the last 5-6 years there wasn't much difference in the length between the 2 pens. The 149 posts easily and cap stays on without any additional downward pushing.

Leather case

I had planned on carrying it in the 2-pen leather case (along with my M1000) I had purchased from ashishwakhu, but it's really a tight fit. I did find that it will fit in the case, if you rotate the pen clip around so it faces the back of the case. But, after I got it in the case it was difficult to extract. So, I called a MB Boutique and asked them about the 4810 Westside and the Siena pouches. The girl at the MB Boutique said that she thought the Westside would be a tight fit for a 149. After I talked w/MB I ordered a Siena pouch from Worldlux.

Nib exchange?

I'm thinking of using it for 4-5 weeks while I decide whether or not to exchange the nib for a BB. The only thing I would regret is if I exchanged it for a BB and the nib had less feedback. Personally, I prefer some "tooth" and feedback from a nib.

All in all, I'm very satisfied with the 149 and my ordering experience. This is the first time in over 18 years that I had ordered a new MB fountain pen. My last new MB FP purchase was a 144 Classique (which I had given away because it was too small for my hand).

Now, which MB to order next.....:thumbup:

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ghost Plane

• razr

• smoores

• pavoni

Now, which MB to order next.....:thumbup:

Order a 149 in BB and then you can have both!!

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

Niksch & Ghostplane

Thanks for the advice. :thumbup: Actually, I have Eric to thank for this path since I bought a MB 146 from him last year...beautiful writer. :puddle:

Actually, I have Eric to thank for this path since I bought a MB 146 from him last year...beautiful writer.

Or me to blame!! I think I sold GP a 146 in OBB a long while back, or maybe it was an OB.

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

Actually, I have Eric to thank for this path since I bought a MB 146 from him last year...beautiful writer.

Or me to blame!! I think I sold GP a 146 in OBB a long while back, or maybe it was an OB.

It was a B which lured me into buying the OBB Boheme which convinced me to get the OBB 146 which tempted me into the OB Carnegie that led to the OB Voltaire and after that I was a lost cause. :embarrassed_smile: The profile of a nib addict :bunny01:

Leather case

I had planned on carrying it in the 2-pen leather case (along with my M1000) I had purchased from ashishwakhu, but it's really a tight fit.

Your pen case is in leather, it will adjust to your pen. i can now easily put a Delta Dolce Vita OS in it, although it wouldn^'t fit in at first (the ring on the cap was a problem, it is no more).

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

It was a B which lured me into buying the OBB Boheme which convinced me to get the OBB 146 which tempted me into the OB Carnegie that led to the OB Voltaire and after that I was a lost cause. :embarrassed_smile: The profile of a nib addict :bunny01:

\

Ghost Plane,

I love that you don't mention being a lost cause until after 5 pens...that's great! :ltcapd:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_7AlUqveS3BY/TCVyeRV5evI/AAAAAAAAAQU/H5N_-dpY7cA/s144/Aubrey%20on%20plaid%20paper_sm.JPG

Check out my wish list on my profile.

I love the pen but I'm going to send it off to the MB servicecenter for a nib change (to a BB). And now, the separation anxiety begins...:crybaby:

Edited by razr

\

Ghost Plane,

I love that you don't mention being a lost cause until after 5 pens...that's great! :ltcapd:

I'm a bit slow. Took over 30 Visconti before I'd admit to being a collector. :embarrassed_smile: :embarrassed_smile:

\

Ghost Plane,

I'm a bit slow. Took over 30 Visconti before I'd admit to being a collector. :embarrassed_smile: :embarrassed_smile:

Oh good, then I don't ever have to worry. Phew! :D

Doubt I'll ever get there...not because I don't want to try that many different pens, but because income, or lack thereof, won't allow for it. :)

Enjoy your stash! (BTW, I hear you have a pen I want...)

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_7AlUqveS3BY/TCVyeRV5evI/AAAAAAAAAQU/H5N_-dpY7cA/s144/Aubrey%20on%20plaid%20paper_sm.JPG

Check out my wish list on my profile.

Leather case

I had planned on carrying it in the 2-pen leather case (along with my M1000) I had purchased from ashishwakhu, but it's really a tight fit.

Your pen case is in leather, it will adjust to your pen. i can now easily put a Delta Dolce Vita OS in it, although it wouldn^'t fit in at first (the ring on the cap was a problem, it is no more).

I have what I think is the standard 2-pen MB case and the MB 149 definitely fits. The case comes with expandable sides (like a briefcase) and seems to accommodate both my MB 149 and my ("have you got a pen I can borrow?") MB rollerball really well. However, as I am hopefully receiving my Peilkan M1000 on Friday (fingers crossed) I wouldn't mind knowing how the two big boys fit in that siena case you have ordered. Wouldn't mind two 2-pen cases.

Pavoni

• 4 weeks later...

Just the man I was looking for! I've decided to spoil myself with a beautiful pen, and have narrowed it down to either a MB 149 or a Pelikan M1000. I'm having a difficult time deciding as I have no means of testing either pen without first purchasing it. Given that it will be a long time before I can splurge on another fine pen, which of the two would you recomend for an everyday use pen?

All the best,

Ryan

"Full Effort is Full Satisfaction."

- Mahatma Mohandos K Gandhi

Just the man I was looking for! I've decided to spoil myself with a beautiful pen, and have narrowed it down to either a MB 149 or a Pelikan M1000. I'm having a difficult time deciding as I have no means of testing either pen without first purchasing it. Given that it will be a long time before I can splurge on another fine pen, which of the two would you recomend for an everyday use pen?

All the best,

Ryan

Between the two I'd definitely get the 149. I like big pens but the 1000 is unweildy, like trying to write with a telephone pole.

The Pel also has a decorative trim near the nib that is a corrosion site, and to replace the trim, one has to replace the barrel.

The 1000 can be very wet, sometimes excessively so, and I'm not sure the problems with Pel XF nibs have been resolved.

I find both comfortable to hold, but the MB nib has a certain something the Pel lacks. It just feels indefinably better.

Hi magicryan,

I am lucky enough now, and very proud, to own both fabulous pens. I can safely say that I could have ordered both without prior testing, as both stand by their reputations as ‘flagship’ models of their respective pen houses. However, I was lucky enough to test both prior to purchase and probably got more giddy about the MB 149 (though afterwards the Pelikan felt perfect for me).

I have both in F nib and, whilst one feels different to the other, Ghost Plane may be right on the difference between the nibs. I very much look forward to using either one during the week, every week.

I know what it is like to be stuck between two touch choices however, with these two superb pens, it is easy to see why the choice is so difficult (you only have to look at the both the Monblanc and Pelikan forums to see the difference of opinions).

If you are serious about pens and have a preference (as I do) for larger pens, you have to have both. I started with the MB 149, and yes, it was more expensive but don’t let that be the decider between these two. The Pelikan may be better value in terms of initial cost but ultimately, the MB 149 has that....’something’ about it sufficient to close that gap in cost between the two. Ultimately, it is your choice. You are bound to buy both eventually, so why not get the Montblanc first. Go on, spoil yourself.

Pavoni.

Hi magicryan,

I am lucky enough now, and very proud, to own both fabulous pens. I can safely say that I could have ordered both without prior testing, as both stand by their reputations as ‘flagship’ models of their respective pen houses. However, I was lucky enough to test both prior to purchase and probably got more giddy about the MB 149 (though afterwards the Pelikan felt perfect for me).

I have both in F nib and, whilst one feels different to the other, Ghost Plane may be right on the difference between the nibs. I very much look forward to using either one during the week, every week.

I know what it is like to be stuck between two touch choices however, with these two superb pens, it is easy to see why the choice is so difficult (you only have to look at the both the Monblanc and Pelikan forums to see the difference of opinions).

If you are serious about pens and have a preference (as I do) for larger pens, you have to have both. I started with the MB 149, and yes, it was more expensive but don’t let that be the decider between these two. The Pelikan may be better value in terms of initial cost but ultimately, the MB 149 has that....’something’ about it sufficient to close that gap in cost between the two. Ultimately, it is your choice. You are bound to buy both eventually, so why not get the Montblanc first. Go on, spoil yourself.

Pavoni.

That's a very good point. I will end up with both, but I do want my FIRST luxury FP to be the best, and apparently the the MB 149! Cannot wait!!!

Would you recommend buying online or through a retailer?

"Full Effort is Full Satisfaction."

- Mahatma Mohandos K Gandhi

• 2 months later...

hi,

could you please tell which of the above you have purchased - 149 or 1000 and the nibwidth chosen?

thanks

That's a very good point. I will end up with both, but I do want my FIRST luxury FP to be the best, and apparently the the MB 149! Cannot wait!!!

Would you recommend buying online or through a retailer?