Diamine Lavender

shaylenwilliams

Diamine Lavender is a great color! This is a lovely shade of purple that is nice and cheery without being over the top or in your face. Diamine's take on lavender is perfect for Spring, but is also dark enough not to be an annoyingly difficult to read novelty ink.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_doL1DRM7HpI/TTZge0drcqI/AAAAAAAAAHc/h8kO3ihKSW0/s1600/DiamineLavender2.JPG

This ink behaves really well, though may be just a bit on the dry side. The drying time was very acceptable, and on Rhodia, Lavender exhibits no feathering or show-through. There is some shading, but in the grand inky scheme of things, it is not going to win awards for it. This ink is definitely NOT waterproof!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_doL1DRM7HpI/TTZgm999PHI/AAAAAAAAAHg/7nuGOkU_f6U/s1600/DiamineLavender3.JPG

This ink is a good middle of the road purple, not too red or too blue. As far as red/blue qualities go, it compares well to the Purple Varsity, but Lavender is obviously lighter in shade.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_doL1DRM7HpI/TTZgu8-pwdI/AAAAAAAAAHk/5T5ZtOLIRws/s1600/DiamineLavender4.JPG

All in all, this ink has become a quick favorite. I procured this one in an ink sample exchange, and I definitely want a full bottle when the time comes. Yet another winner from Diamine!

There are a few more pics over at the blog here.

"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

The Poor Connoisseurs

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shaylenwilliams

• inkspot

• corniche

• archimom

Hello Shaylen,

Yes, an interesting color indeed... a nice color for Easter cards and a fitting color to use during Lent as well.

Can anyone speak to this ink's lubrication qualities? Is it juicy like Quink and Waterman or dry like Pelikan 4001? (I see Shaylen refers to it as "dry" in her Plumix, but I think there she is referring to flow... she also blames the pen, which I can relate to- Pilot's seem to be "dry writers").

All the best,

Sean :)

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

Hello Shaylen,

Yes, an interesting color indeed... a nice color for Easter cards and a fitting color to use during Lent as well.

Can anyone speak to this ink's lubrication qualities? Is it juicy like Quink and Waterman or dry like Pelikan 4001? (I see Shaylen refers to it as "dry" in her Plumix, but I think there she is referring to flow... she also blames the pen, which I can relate to- Pilot's seem to be "dry writers").

All the best,

It doesn't seem very lubricating. I've had it in the Plumix (which is much wetter with Diamine Graphite), and the Retro 51, which was kind of dry with Diamine Oxblood as well. Compared to an ink like Iroshi Yama-budo, Lavender is much drier, and non-lubricating.

Anyone else can feel free to jump in here.

"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

The Poor Connoisseurs

Thanks Shaylen,

Maybe I'll try Watermans or Sheaffers.

All the best,

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

I used this ink in my Pelikan M600, and it stained the ink view window and caused the piston to become very balky. Both problems solved with a thorough flushing with tap water, but I now use the Lavender only in my Sheaffer Legacy I, which has a Touchdown converter -- no piston, no window.

Waterman Purple is a very close match which is a bit more expensive but has no maintenance issues.

I used this ink in my Pelikan M600, and it stained the ink view window and caused the piston to become very balky. Both problems solved with a thorough flushing with tap water, but I now use the Lavender only in my Sheaffer Legacy I, which has a Touchdown converter -- no piston, no window.

Waterman Purple is a very close match which is a bit more expensive but has no maintenance issues.

Interesting! Both pens I've had it in are c/c, so no real issues here. The only piston fills I have are the Noodler's Flexies, which I probably wouldn't put this in anyway since it seems dry to me.

The Poor Connoisseurs

Thanks for your review! You've inspired me to find my lavender ink for spring.

Although Diamine's Lavender and Violet Pensee are beautiful I was hoping to find a a lavendar that dries toward blue ---- NOT blue, but lavender. Any suggestions?

Tks, Linda

Although Diamine's Lavender and Violet Pensee are beautiful I was hoping to find a a lavendar that dries toward blue ---- NOT blue, but lavender. Any suggestions?

Tks, Linda

Some would probably say Herbin Bleu Myosotis, but it is definitely blue to me, in fact, much like Lamy Blue. Noodler's Concord Bream is a light bluish lavender, but VERY ill mannered as an ink.

The Poor Connoisseurs

Noodler's Concord Bream is a light bluish lavender, but VERY ill mannered as an ink.

Good to know! This one was on my buy to try list!

I am using the Concord Bream now, and haven't really noticed any issues with it. Once my kcat vials get here I can just mail you a sample of it to try with one of my letters.

It's a very pretty lavendar-blue-periwinkle type color. I don't LOVE it, but it's a good color.

I am using the Concord Bream now, and haven't really noticed any issues with it. Once my kcat vials get here I can just mail you a sample of it to try with one of my letters.

It's a very pretty lavendar-blue-periwinkle type color. I don't LOVE it, but it's a good color.

How kind of you! A sample would be wonderful! I really like that periwinkle kind of colour. Maybe the ink will behave itself for me, too!

How kind of you! A sample would be wonderful! I really like that periwinkle kind of colour. Maybe the ink will behave itself for me, too!

I had issues with it feathering and bleeding through, but both pens I used it in were pretty wet writers. I hope it works out for you though, it is a lovely color.

The Poor Connoisseurs

I had issues with it feathering and bleeding through, but both pens I used it in were pretty wet writers. I hope it works out for you though, it is a lovely color.

It really is just a matter of finding that right match for some inks, isn't it? I have a really wet medium nib that makes Diamine Damson look like dark mud, but that ink sings in one of my slightly drier medium pens. Oooo... I bet Diamine Lavender would look amazing in my wet medium... adding to top of wish list...

I have Diamine Lavender and have had no problems with it. I had it in a cart (filled via syringe) popped into a Sheaffer Agio. It didn't seem too dry...I'll have to try it in a gusher I have, for comparison.

Tks, Linda

I really like Diamine Violet, which one of my correspondents thought was very blueish. Can't see it myself, but eye of the beholder .....

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

I have Diamine Lavender in a Sheaffer snorkel with a fine point nib. The flow is excellent. It ends up getting a bit fat and feathers on more porous papers but seems fine on Rhodia paper. I have a sample in my notebook of Noodlers North African Violet. They are very similar in color. The Noodlers may be more saturated by a tiny bit.

archimom.

I have Diamine Lavender in a Sheaffer snorkel with a fine point nib. The flow is excellent. It ends up getting a bit fat and feathers on more porous papers but seems fine on Rhodia paper. I have a sample in my notebook of Noodlers North African Violet. They are very similar in color. The Noodlers may be more saturated by a tiny bit.

archimom.

I've got a sample of North African Violet. I'll have to see if I can get a comparison shot up when I ink it. Thanks for the great idea! :eureka:

The Poor Connoisseurs