Leaky Esterbrooks

FLJeepGuy

I have several Esterbrooks in my collection and I truly enjoy writing with them. However, they all seem to have the same issue. All of them are very wet writers and I get a lot of leakage around the nib area. Since all of my Esties exhibit the same problem, I suspect the problem lies with me rather than the pens and am turning to you good people for some suggestions.

My suspicion is that I'm not tightening the nibs enough into the section, thereby allowing a bit of air to get in causing a greater than normal ink flow. I'm afraid of over-tightening them and either stripping the nib unit or cracking the sections. I usually just go until I feel resistance and then a tiny bit farther. Is this appropriate or do they really need to be cranked down tight?

Also, would some silicone grease on the threads (or some other sealant) be recommended or possible?

Any insight here would be much appreciated!

Collection Counts: Cross-4, Esterbrook-15, Eversharp-1, Graf von Faber-Castell-1, Jinhao-2, Kaweco-1, Lamy-6, Levenger-2, Monteverde-1, Pilot/Namiki-3, Noodler's-1, Parker-18, Rotring-10, Sailor-1, Sheaffer-19, TWSBI-1, Visconti-4, Waterford-1, Waterman-7

Favorite Inks: Diamine, Levenger, Private Reserve, Noodler's Lexington Gray

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FLJeepGuy

• esterbex

• Autopoint

• Gobblecup

I have the same problem with my Esterbrook J with a 9550 nib. Ink creeps all over the nib and even down onto the section a little bit, even when I leave it stored nib up. I put the nib on very tight, so I don't really think it has to do with the nib not being in all the way.

Derek's Pens and Pencils

I am always looking for new penpals! Send me a pm if you'd like to exchange correspondence. :)

Grip the nib and feed as one unit between your thumb and forefinger as close to the collar as

possible and get it in TIGHT. Sometimes just a bit more does the trick.

It is my opinion that with these threads being 50+ years old, some play works into them after

awhile, especially on pens where the nib was routinely changed/removed-cleaned.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

I put a little dab o'scuba grease in one of mine...works as well as in an eyedropper.

Tim

Tim

timsvintagepens.com and @timsvintagepens

I put a little dab o'scuba grease in one of mine...works as well as in an eyedropper.

Tim

Good idea, I haven't run across the problem with mine yet though. I also wonder if some Teflon tape would work also?

The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.

- Mark Twain in a Letter to George Bainton, 10/15/1888

Thanks for the info. I'll give my favorite Estie another go in my next rotation.

Also, someone mentioned nib creep above. I too don't worry about nib creep, what I'm talking about here is soaking wet feeds, ink in the caps, etc. True leaks. From the responses, it looks like I've been being a bit to gentle and need to just tighten up the nibs a bit more. Thanks again!

Edited by FLJeepGuy

Collection Counts: Cross-4, Esterbrook-15, Eversharp-1, Graf von Faber-Castell-1, Jinhao-2, Kaweco-1, Lamy-6, Levenger-2, Monteverde-1, Pilot/Namiki-3, Noodler's-1, Parker-18, Rotring-10, Sailor-1, Sheaffer-19, TWSBI-1, Visconti-4, Waterford-1, Waterman-7

Favorite Inks: Diamine, Levenger, Private Reserve, Noodler's Lexington Gray

Hmm... I have never had any problems with my Esties leaking/creeping/dripping. Just make sure to take the advice of others here and ensure your nibs are in their tight. I always try to! :thumbup:

Gobblecup ~

I agree wholeheartedly with greasing the nib threads (only) with a bit of pure silicone (scuba) grease. Works great. With that lubricant you don't have to turn the nib very hard to make it seal up properly - the grease tends to take up some of the "slack" and fill the small voids. And the nib comes out much easier when it's time to switch.

However, I've never had a leaking Estie that could be traced to the nib threads. Remember that any other air leak, especially a pinhole in the ink sac, will cause the same problem. Also, a cracked section or a poorly cemented ink sac could cause the problem. In 20 years of using Esties and maybe 3 or 4 "leakers", every one of them have been attributable to a pinhole in the sac that I either overlooked when the sac was out, or caused myself by ham-handedness when I pushed/jiggled the ink sac back into the pen.

I'd suggest you simply remove the 'guts" from the pen, by pulling out the section, nib and ink sac intact. Then use your fingers to expel the remaining ink, and give the nib and sac a quick flush with water. Remove the nib. Then put talcum powder all over the outside of the sac, nipple and section, plug the nib hole in the section with your finger, and squeeze the sac firmly. This may well "indicate" the source of the leak right away, as water seeping through talc should be highly visible. Then you can fix what's really wrong without twisting the threads off the nib.

- - - Happy Fixin', Jim

Collector of Autopoint + Realite + Realpoint, and Esterbrook accumulator

And none of my Esties have a problem at all

+1 :cloud9:

God is seldom early, never late, and always on time.

~~Larry Brown

I have a problem with ink getting all over the nib and the feed and in the cap. I think its because I carry the pen in my pocket the lever gets some pressure put on it expelling ink into the cap. I noticed that I could get a few small drops of ink out just by putting a litle pressure on the filling lever. Any suggestions? Also is there anyway to tell how much ink you have left in an esterbrook J?

• 1 year later...

Hope this works! My girlfriend was having this problem with hers, so I took a look and it was quite loose! We will see tomorrow if a simple snugging will do the trick!

Edited by kcoen52

"To the optimist the glass is half full, to the pessimist the glass is half empty, to the engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be."