Mont Blanc Racing Green

freewheelingvagabond

Well, this is rather a short review. At the outset I apologise for bad photographs and the absence of any scan. This ink was produced for a few years I reckon, and was discontinued around end 2009. I had always been intrigued by the scans and photos I saw online of this ink, and recently when I had the good fortune to chance upon a bottle of it, I took the plunge.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5242/5332217737_55dc54bd3f_b.jpg

The name of the ink is quite exciting, and there has been an elaborate discussion on the subject in another review. The ink is a dark mossy green that shades considerably and almost fills up a spectrum of colours from a dark olive green to a black. The most interesting feature about the colour of this ink in my opinion is that it is difficult to classify it as a warm or a cool shade. This is precisely because in my experience the ink has exhibited a particular temperament to appear as both a warm shade of dark green and sometimes a cooler one. The only drawbacks of this colour that I can conceive of is that it's not exactly a regular shade of green and that it often looks a bit dull right next to a brighter shade of green. The ink is very well-behaved and a low maintenance ink- cleaning the pen is hardly ever an issue. Drying time is very moderate. I don't know how much water resistant this ink is. Also I don't know whether anything written in this ink fades over a period of time, I haven't used it for so long- but nothing of the sort has occurred in close to a month of use. On a 70gsm paper this ink neither feathers nor bleeds through.

The Mont Blanc ink bottle is exquisite, and has a sense of luxury about it. The ink perfectly complements that- it's so beautiful. It's a bit pricey, but worth it in my opinion if someone likes the colour. Just like everyone else I also have no idea at all why its production has been discontinued. I certainly bemoan it's premature demise and shall miss it once my bottle is used up. But then, I honestly think it's a bit crazy to bother too much about it not being around. After all, it's just another ink, however great or ordinary.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5243/5332832468_6f60a1e8ec_b.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• freewheelingvagabond

• Beechwood

• razr

• PyroclasticJoe

Thanks for a nice review. I'm glad you're having a chance to enjoy it. I have a bottled on its way to me from across the pond and was glad for the opportunity to purchase it.

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

Very nice review, thank you. I especially like your first photograph.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any of this ink or I would have a bottle. As you point out, there are a lot of other nice greens out there so I'll be content with inks that are currently in production.

I love this ink I have 2 bottles of it, and I've been searching for a replacement. It's between Diamine Sherwood Green and Zhivago which I also love. Thanks for the review

The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.

- Mark Twain in a Letter to George Bainton, 10/15/1888

Nice review! Your pics are pretty true to the shades I see when using MBRG, especially when using broader/wetter nibs.

thx for the review! it does look like a very nice color. from where i'm sitting it looks exactly like Diamine Graphite -dead on!!!!

From what I recall, MBRG is very water resistant, too.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Very nice review, the color really comes out when used in a Broad nibbed pen... We in India are lucky to still have access to the MB BRG.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I found a bottle of MBRG at the local MB store and grabbed it, based on the reviews on the site.

I must say that I found it a little disappointing... it is almost always a dull grey or light black, with none of the exquisite shading that the pictures in the reviews show.

So far I've tried it with a Lamy Linea with a fine nib, a Waterman Hemisphere with a medium nib, and most recently with a Lamy Vista with a broad nib. Every time it comes out of the pen either dark grey or light black.

It flows well and it flushes easily when I want to change ink brands, but the colour was terribly disappointing.

So many pens out there crying "Buy me!", so little money in the bank...

So many people have suggested this ink to me (and given me a sample), that I'm looking to purchase a bottle or two. Haven't found any, though.

--

Glenn (love those pen posses)

So many people have suggested this ink to me (and given me a sample), that I'm looking to purchase a bottle or two. Haven't found any, though.

You might want to post a WTB, but expect to pay $20 and up for a bottle.

so - I'm curious. How much *would* people pay for this ink? I have none to offer. I've never even had a sample to play with. Just wondering where the line would be drawn for this particular ink. And don't mistake my intent - I have purchased Iroshizuku (JetPens price) so I'm not judging.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

so - I'm curious. How much *would* people pay for this ink? I have none to offer. I've never even had a sample to play with. Just wondering where the line would be drawn for this particular ink. And don't mistake my intent - I have purchased Iroshizuku (JetPens price) so I'm not judging.

I think the ink is worth $20 a bottle.. When I last purchased it, 6 bottles or so, it was $12.50. I'm now seeing it on Fleabay for about $80 a bottle (which is just nuts.. It's certainly not worth that kind of money)

If I had none left, I would consider paying upwards of $35.

Science is a way of skeptically interrogating the universe with a fine understanding of human fallibility.

-Carl Sagan

http://mark.intervex.net/fpn/images/LetterExchange_sm.pnghttp://mark.intervex.net/fpn/images/PostcardExchange_sm.pnghttp://1.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4f_4pakI/AAAAAAAAA14/_d-MITGtqvY/s320/InkDropLogoFPN2.jpg

I'm hoping to acquire a sample this weekend and that will decide whether or not I *have* to find a bottle. If I truly fall in love with it then I'd be willing to pay up to $30-$35. I think that's unlikely, though. I'm pretty happy with Diamine Evergreen, and Noodler's Sequoia is supposed to be close. Mainly I want to get a little MBRG so that I can see for myself what the big deal is, as well compare the color with some of the other dusky greens.

From what I recall, MBRG is very water resistant, too.

Thank you very much for adding this piece of information.

Regards,

Anindya.

I think the ink is worth $20 a bottle.. When I last purchased it, 6 bottles or so, it was $12.50. I'm now seeing it on Fleabay for about $80 a bottle (which is just nuts.. It's certainly not worth that kind of money)

If I had none left, I would consider paying upwards of $35.

I would only purchase it at the MSRP. Honestly, there are many other nice inks out there as well, and one could possibly do without this one.

I will take some bottles of MBRG up to Lytham for any UKFPNers who want a bottle

MB describe the ink as English Racing Green on the lable on the packaging

Edited by Arthur

I bought 10 of these bottles and they sit unopened in the box from Montblanc, maybe open them someday.

Interestingly, the label on the outside of the carton describes the ink as English Racing Green.

down to 7 bottles...