Halden

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5124/5336552022_8fc69906a2.jpg

TWSBI review 1/2 by haldenjohnson, on Flickr

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5050/5336552188_d989da7139.jpg

TWSBI review 2/2 by haldenjohnson, on Flickr

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5168/5334962714_778c2e0e4d.jpg

TWSBI by haldenjohnson, on Flickr

Appearance & Design (9)

The pen is quite nice. The plastic is crisp and clear. I am not a Demonstrator fan boy but it seems appropriate for a pen that is some open about its design. The “diamond” cut facets on the barrel give the pen a nice look. The trim accents the pen nicely.

Construction & Quality (9)

The TWSBI Diamond 530 is a solid pen and despite being made inexpensively and of clear plastic it feels well constructed. The piston action is smooth and easy. Every part fits together well and you can see it was well tested.

Weight & Dimensions (9)

The pen is heavier than I thought it would be and the barrel diameter is great for my hand. My only issue is that I am having a hard time getting used to using a pen unposted. I tried posting the TWSBI but found that it really threw off the pen’s balance.

Nib & Performance (8)

The nib was a real surprise. It was smooth and laid a wet line straight out of the box. Compared to my Lamy steel nibs I found that the TWSBI nib actually has a bit spring to it (not flex) that made writing smooth.

Filling System & Maintenance (10)

This is obviously one of TWSBI’s biggest selling points. The pen is a piston fill, which I love, and it includes everything you could need to take it down to its base components and reassemble.

Cost & Value (10)

A large, piston filler with a decent nib for 40$ USD. Need I say more.

Conclusion (9.1)

I cannot say that this is my favourite pen, yet, but I have a feeling that it may well become it. The pen write well, feel great and looks good. The pen gives you what many people look for in much pricier pens for a very reasonable entry level price. If you don’t have a TWSBI do yourself a favour and forgo the lattes for a week and spend that cash on this instead.

Get my full thoughts here.

In Ottawa? Check out The Ottawa Pen Posse

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• watch_art

• Jimmy James

• Basset

• canucklehaed

What nib size did you get? I'm seriously considering ordering one (at this point, it's inevitable, really) but I can't decide which size I want.

That pen looks great filled with the Twilight, by the way.

I have seen them riding seaward on the waves

Combing the white hair of the waves blown back

When the wind blows the water white and black. (T.S. Eliot, 1917)

What size nib did you get? I'm very tempted by that pen...

Edit: Wow, look how close my post was to the person above me. :roflmho:

Edited by ThirdeYe

Derek's Pens and Pencils

I am always looking for new penpals! Send me a pm if you'd like to exchange correspondence. :)

You did a great job in reviewing this pen. It is large, and works better unposted, but is truly a great value for a piston filling pen.

I have one, and it out performs some of the expensive Italian pens I have.

the Danitrio Fellowship

Haha ThirdeYe we're comment twins.

Basset, I think the next step that Speedy and co. are working on is fitting the TWSBI with Bock nibs, which would allow for a broader range of nib choices - from extra-fine to broad (or double-broad?) and also factory italics. (I can't wait...)

I have seen them riding seaward on the waves

Combing the white hair of the waves blown back

When the wind blows the water white and black. (T.S. Eliot, 1917)

Basset, I think the next step that Speedy and co. are working on is fitting the TWSBI with Bock nibs, which would allow for a broader range of nib choices - from extra-fine to broad (or double-broad?) and also factory italics. (I can't wait...)

Thanks for the info. Looking for a broad I can grind myself into a cursive italic.

Will the pen ever be sold with a broad nib?

Levenger True Writer fountain pens use exactly the same nib & feed unit (the engraving is the only difference), and separate broad nib units can be purchased from Levenger. I ordered a separate TWSBI fine nib after I bought a pen with the medium nib. The extra nib unit was about $15 (I also ordered spare piston heads), and broad nibs from TWSBI may be available now (ask via email--responses are fast).

When changing nib units, just be certain that the nib unit and clear section collar are lined up correctly.

I must say, service from TWSBI is exceptionally good.

/Robert

Edited by Robert Alan

No matter where you go, there you are.

It would seem a redesign of the 530 to accommodate Bock-sourced nibs is coming after the current stock is sold. Those pens will be offered with a wider variety of nibs. Somebody looking for a broad or low-hassle stub nib for the current 530s should indeed contact Levenger as advised above. There is also the possibility of fitting your own nib to the TWSBI-sourced feed. There are a few posts about that I have seen on this board. I think perhaps Speedy even has one such pen if I am not mistaken.

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

Thanks for the review. I just ordered one from their eBay site. Should be here in a couple of weeks

Haha, I know! I couldn't believe it when the thread loaded after I posted... I thought it glitched or I made a double-post or something. :lol:

Derek's Pens and Pencils

I am always looking for new penpals! Send me a pm if you'd like to exchange correspondence. :)

I think the next step that Speedy and co. are working on is fitting the TWSBI with .... factory italics. (I can't wait...)

Indeed, I asked them about a stub and they replied there should be a stub variety available for the TWSBI in the future.

Parker 51 Vacumatic 0.7 Masuyama stub; TWSBI 540 M; TWSBI 580 1.1; Mabie, Todd and Bard 3200 stub; Waterman 14 Eyedropper F; 2 x Hero 616; several flexible dip nibs

owned for a time: Parker 45 flighter Pendleton stub, Parker 51 aerometric F, Parker 51 Special 0.7 Binder stub, Sheaffer Valiant Snorkel M, Lamy Joy Calligraphy 1.5 mm, Pelikan M200 M, Parker Vacumatic US Azure Blue M, Parker Vacumatic Canada Burgundy F, Waterman 12 Eyedropper, Mabie Todd SF2 flexible F

I had a M Levenger True Writer nib that was just sitting around (the pen has a Levenger stub on it), so I decided to thy the M Levenger nib on my TWSBI. It fit perfectly, and the nib is so nice! I had it in my head that I should try a fine nib when I ordered my TWSBI; I usually use at least a B nib, so the M nib is a vast improvement for me.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s1600/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpghttp://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

My TWSBI 530 arrived this morning and it works great right out of the box.

"Life moves pretty fast, if you do not stop and look around once and a while you might just miss it."

Ferris Bueller

Bill Smith's Photography

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got my TWSBI this morning. This has got to be the best value pen around. Smooth right out of the box. Lovely.

They cannot look out far.

They cannot look in deep.

But when was that ever a bar

To any watch they keep?

-- Robert Frost --

I received my Green 530 3 days back.The colour is just amazing.Medium point is smooth with slight spring,started straight on first fill.The weight of the pen makes it comfortable for prolong writing but with cap not posted.Superb build.Amazing price.Pleasure to use.

drparesh

I wish to thank Halden for the very thorough review of this pen and the attached jpeg. Just ordered one for myself in part due to the largely positive response I encountered while reading these FPN threads.