Pinstriped Yard O Led Grand

dandelion

It was a while since I posted a review here. This is a shorter version of the BIG review that I posted here on my blog. If you're interested you find more text and pics there.

This pen has a customized italic nib and if you are curious about that you can read the full review, but it is not the factory nib.

Size & construction

I'm still amazed by its size - it is huge - therefore its nickname - and measures 13.7 cm uncapped, 15 posted and (theoretically) 17 cm posted. Since it is impossible to post (it doesn't stay put on the barrel) it is slightly ironic that the commercial photos of it (here and here for instance) pictures it posted.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_FODBn3j5KLc/TSHV__b-psI/AAAAAAAAlRQ/mt9djMKQemk/s640/P1240145.JPG

The barrel weighs 43 g and the cap weighs 19 additional grammes - making it a total of 62 g! In all in hallmarked sterling silver. That is equivalent to 2xPelikan M800 (leaves you 6 g), almost 5 Pelikan M200 or 2 Montblanc 149 if you add 3 g, 2 Montblanc 146 or Aurora Talentum (leaves 2-3 g). Thus: a rather solid piece of silver.

http://damedandelion.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/p1240220.jpg

Above: compared with an Aurora Talentum and a Lamy Safari.

But, what is even more amazing than stating that it is huge is that it lays so very well in the hand. It is so well balanced that I have a hard time believing that it really is so heavy as the scale (and other sources) shows. In this respect it is the most well balanced pen I have ever written with - unposted. I had a standard sized Victorian (review of it see here) and even if I am not a sucker for big pens as such, I prefer the size of this well balanced pen to the standard sized Viceroy. Big? Yes. Heavy? Yes. Clumsy? No. Bulky? No. ...

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_FODBn3j5KLc/TSD5uOswJII/AAAAAAAAlN8/_Jh0lXjpjLM/s512/P1240103.JPG http://lh4.ggpht.com/_FODBn3j5KLc/TSH6rsQsHwI/AAAAAAAAlWo/n3jzvCw9gCo/s512/P1240172.JPG

Design

The design is timeless. I actually didn't know about this pinstriped/lined version until I stumbled over this pen at Ebay. As I understand it it is not in production anymore (even if I've seen dealers who still carries them) which is a pity since it is a very beautiful design. I prefer it over the barley and plain (even if I wouldn't be disappointed to be gifted one) and think it is at par with the Victorian - even though it is very different from it. If the Victorian is ornamented and romantic, the pinstriped is a more strict, but not overly formal, classic. The pinstripes accentuates the shape with the slightly tapered barrel, which I like very much...

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_FODBn3j5KLc/TSHWFnB3aPI/AAAAAAAAlSQ/aHFH3w-LGLo/s640/P1240217.JPG

Quality, Craftsmanship & Warranty

The craftmanship and attention to details is very important with this kind of simple and refined design - just like a page haircut. And, just like the Victorian, it really shines here. As you can see below it is a substantial rod of silver that has been used for the barrel and section. The cap has thinner walls - otherwise it had been ridiculously heavy and probably a bit clumsy - but doesn't feel thin or flimsy in any way. It locks with a simple snap on and there is not so much to say about that. It sits snugly and doesn't easily uncap itself. While the Victorian shows the craftsmanship in a bold and overwhelming way (will buy myself a Victorian Grand some day) this is a low key craftsmanship. Like a real well cut page. ...

Summary

This is not a cheap pen. I bought it used for a very good price. The list price for its similar siblings is around $600 and that is a hefty sum of money to shell out for a pen. But, if one compares it to other pens with a similar or higher list price - Montblanc 149 has a list price around $750 and Montblanc 146 a list price around $625 - I do believe that the Yard-O-Led Viceroy Grand offers a much better bang for the buck than these two. I know some will say that this isn't a piston filler. That is true. But I had piston problems with both my modern 146 and my old 146. It might be OK when a vintage pen developes some problems, but not when a rather "new" does that - especially with the price tag that Montblancs come with. The pens I had might be exceptions, but to this comes that while YOL offers a life time warranty for their pens - regardless of if you have the original "papers", Montblanc only warrants their pens for a limited time. Compared with the more expensive. contemporary, 149 I see this as a more priceworthy product. It is made of sterling silver, in UK (not outsourced) and one can see that it is made with craftsmanship...

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_FODBn3j5KLc/TSHWIvHACWI/AAAAAAAAlTs/LtzrRvQc-9Q/s512/P1240125.JPG http://lh6.ggpht.com/_FODBn3j5KLc/TSHWJHc0jII/AAAAAAAAlT4/npaRbayKn3c/s512/P1240126.JPG

PROS

Perfectly balanced pen

Good bang for the buck

Beautiful design

Solid sterling silver

Craftmanship & Quality

Real life time warranty

Sympathetic company

CONS

Much money to pay for a pen (even if it is worth its price)

Limited choices of nib sizes

The pinstriped Viceroy is out of production

Cap can't be posted.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_FODBn3j5KLc/TSHWLhl_AxI/AAAAAAAAlUY/RV4xYfACyNs/s640/P1240135.JPG<br _mce_bogus="1">

Edited by dandelion

*****the dandelion blog is right here*****

*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ribbit

• Ghost Plane

• carlc

• Soot

Top Posters In This Topic

What a beauty! Thanks for the side-by-side comparison, too. I have the Talentum and it's on the large side for me. I've always wondered just how BIG the Y-O-L Grand is. Now I know. Enjoy your beautiful pen :)

Tamara

You forgot to mention the incredible and unique feel of the nibs... :cloud9:

Agree on the nibs. This is a John Mottishaw customized italic, though, so I excluded it from this version of the review. :)

The cap on my unlined Grand posts ... :hmm1:

This doesn't. It is impossible to get it stuck on the barrel. Might differ between finishes or something.

What a beauty! Thanks for the side-by-side comparison, too. I have the Talentum and it's on the large side for me. I've always wondered just how BIG the Y-O-L Grand is. Now I know. Enjoy your beautiful pen :)

Thank you! :D

Edited by dandelion

*****the dandelion blog is right here*****

*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****

Thanks for another great review, dandelion!

These pens are hand made in the Jewellery Quarter of Birmingham (UK, - my home town!) by around six people working with machines that are more than a hundred years old. This aspect of manufacture is curiously underplayed by Letts/Filofax, which is a pity as I am sure that it would increase sales and interest. Compare and contrast with the hoo-hah Pelikan generate around the (minimally hand-crafted although entirely lovely) Toledo :ltcapd: .

This link to a Pentrace article gives an outline of the firm (scroll down to 'The Story of Yard-O-Led'); I am sure you will find it well worth reading. It looks to have been an amazing meeting of the W.E.S. and I wish I had been there!

http://www.pentrace.net/penbase/Data_Returns/full_article.asp?id=502

What I find interesting is that although YOL have not made fountain pens for a great length of time compared to pencils, there are quite a few models which have come and gone without leaving a trace. I wish someone would make a catalogue so that it would be possible to drool over past glories.

John

Oh, and as others have said, aren't red Talentums to die for? And now discontinued of course .... perché? perché? perché?

John

Encremental, thanks for the link to that article. A very interesting look into an 'artisanal' company. I too am awaiting a YOL Grand Pinstripes in the mail. Although it has a dreaded B nib. :(

Well, I am an EF kinda gal... :embarrassed_smile: But I am going to give it a fair shot. I've never really *used* a B only scribbled a line or two at the MB store. And I want to see how Sailor Yama-dori and Okuyama looks on a big nib. I find I miss a lot of the subtlety of inks using such narrow nibs.

CONS

Cap can't be posted.

I am curious-- wouldn't posting the pen be too heavy at 62g? Wouldn't that be the con instead? It's true that weight(heavy/light) is a matter of preference, but how many of us would write away with a pen that weighs in at 62g posted? I'd probably use it for signatures. :hmm1:

And Thank you for the great review!

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." -- A. Einstein

Soot, I think lots of people like to post simply as a way to stash the cap so it isn't lost. I don't post but I usually write on a table, not out on a park bench, store counter, etc.

@ ribbit - I have an M around here somewhere, but can't remember if it's on a pin striped or a barley. If the B makes you miserable, PM me unless you send to YoL for an F.

@ Soot - My heaviest pen is 82g [Ancora] and I find the heavier pens are actually restful for extended use. I don't post the Grands, but use mine as daily writers. Lighter pens cause my hands to cramp after a few hours. A heavy pen does all the work. All I have to do is give it a place to rest and some gentle steering. Gravity does the rest.

Soot, I think lots of people like to post simply as a way to stash the cap so it isn't lost. I don't post but I usually write on a table, not out on a park bench, store counter, etc.

Gotcha! Now that you mentioned it, I recalled the first thing my dad did when he used my pen couple days ago; posting the cap! And when I asked him why he post the cap (that pen is pretty hefty too) the answer that I got was similar to your response-- habit, and "so it isn't lost."

:eureka:

@ Soot - My heaviest pen is 82g [Ancora] and I find the heavier pens are actually restful for extended use. I don't post the Grands, but use mine as daily writers. Lighter pens cause my hands to cramp after a few hours. A heavy pen does all the work. All I have to do is give it a place to rest and some gentle steering. Gravity does the rest.

That's an interesting way of looking at it. Hmm...I shall try and see for myself. Time to go borrow someone's Grands... :roflmho:

She's here! Beautiful and can't fault YOL's packaging/presentation. Have company so I can't use her yet. But I think the cult gained another member.

Edited by ribbit

• 2 weeks later...

Dandelion, I have an exactly identical YOL Grand Viceroy like yours and your review really is fantastic and sums up the beauty and craftsmanship of this fountain pen. Of all the sterling silver pens I have none are built as solidly as this. It's an heirloom pen to be treasured. And as you say, in spite of it being so heavy, I enjoy using it and never made me think that it is too heavy. And I do use it posted at times, though as you say, it is best and safest not to post the cap, as if the cap falls of it would probably dent.

What I find interesting is that although YOL have not made fountain pens for a great length of time compared to pencils, there are quite a few models which have come and gone without leaving a trace. I wish someone would make a catalogue so that it would be possible to drool over past glories.

John

One day I'll post a review of my Grand Emperor (one day....).

"Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch" Orson Welles

Well, I am an EF kinda gal... :embarrassed_smile: But I am going to give it a fair shot. I've never really *used* a B only scribbled a line or two at the MB store. And I want to see how Sailor Yama-dori and Okuyama looks on a big nib. I find I miss a lot of the subtlety of inks using such narrow nibs.

The YOL B nib is glorious but at the risk of upsetting GP - YOL swapped the nib on my pen (last produced in 2003) for a grand total of £30.50 including postage! Amazing service - took three days to do the swap!

The official line when I enquired was " We are fine with changing nibs on used pens, we'll even give it a nice polish."

As I say - amazing service! Great pens too.

Carl

"Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch" Orson Welles