Banana Paper Notebooks

comfortableshoes

The final set of notebooks that I picked up at Target was the Banana Papers journals. These were $6.99 for a 3 pack including one each of plain, grid, and lined paper. ($2.33 each)

The covers are kraft colored cardstock with images of owls, various birds and tree shapes. I really like the covers on these. The spine of each features a cut out so you can see which notebook you’re picking up. The notebooks are staple bound and have 40 pages (80 total surfaces to write on.) The paper is creamy gray with flecks of color from the recycled content as well as fibers floating through out. The lines are a light brown. I find the coloring quite pleasant and easy on the eyes. The paper has a pronounced wove texture that you will not like if you like glassy smooth paper. I am quite fond of toothy paper for a variety of reasons and really enjoyed writing on this paper.

I was quite shocked when I was writing to notice not one of my inks feathered on this toothy paper, not even the Nikita in a bold wet writing nib. Drying time was decent and not one ink bleed through the paper. I could not see the inks through the paper either. That means I can use both sides of the page. That is a definite win for me.

The 6x8 size is now my favorite note book size. This note book is slim and seems like it could be tough enough to travel around in my bag. I did notice that a lot of people had gone through the packages to take 3 grid, 3 plain or 3 lined notebooks for themselves. It was annoying to find a package that had not been roughly handled, damaged, and in its original packaging.

Of my purchases tonight this was the surprising winner.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5005/5311176032_fcff8e3654_m.jpg

Banana Paper by lessherger, on Flickr

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5125/5310586539_e5055c75ac_m.jpg

Banana Paper by lessherger, on Flickr

Seriously, have you checked Etsy.com yet?

Check out my blog ComfortableShoesStudio.com

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• comfortableshoes

• esterbex

• dcwaites

• Ted H

Wish I'd read this earlier before passing Target by....Will try it out asap.

Thanks for the heads up!

God is seldom early, never late, and always on time.

~~Larry Brown

Thanks. I saw these and immediately dismissed them when i ran my finger across the page. I wouldn't say that I like a super smooth surface but I was worried that "bits" of paper might end up my nib. Have you experienced anything like that?

So far no, but I'll be working in this notebook over the next couple of days and I'll update the review if I do find my pens picking up bits of "stuff."

I'd seen this paper before, but it seemed thinner than toilet paper. Glad you've taken to plunge to try it out. I'll have to get some and try it out. A stationary store near me has journals made from elephant dung. True story.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

I'd seen this paper before, but it seemed thinner than toilet paper. Glad you've taken to plunge to try it out. I'll have to get some and try it out. A stationary store near me has journals made from elephant dung. True story.

I saw something like that in an office supply as well....Poo Paper? Ewww :sick:

God is seldom early, never late, and always on time.

~~Larry Brown

A friend got me cow poo paper, it's far too absorbent for FP, and very rough.

It's a fun notebook paper, but I have gotten a few bits stuck in nibs--nothing too serious, though. I think it might be difficult to use fine nibs on because of the rough surface. It works better with big fat nibs or stubs, I think, and it can handle the flow without bleed through because it's very thick.

A friend got me cow poo paper, it's far too absorbent for FP, and very rough.

It's not so much what it's made of, it's how the paper is made. There is a Welsh? company making sheep poo paper which is said to be quite FP friendly, as is the roo poo paper from Tasmania.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

It's a fun notebook paper, but I have gotten a few bits stuck in nibs--nothing too serious, though. I think it might be difficult to use fine nibs on because of the rough surface. It works better with big fat nibs or stubs, I think, and it can handle the flow without bleed through because it's very thick.

I've written about 10 or so pages with it, tried a few fine nibs as long as it's a wet writer it does okay, but fine nibs tend to pick up a few specks of stuff here and there. I've used a medium and bold nibs and these work with no problem.

Thank you for reviewing these! I've been curious about them.

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August

...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

• 2 weeks later...

I was quite shocked when I was writing to notice not one of my inks feathered on this toothy paper, not even the Nikita in a bold wet writing nib. Drying time was decent and not one ink bleed through the paper. I could not see the inks through the paper either. That means I can use both sides of the page. That is a definite win for me.

Thanks for the review.

I picked up a three pack of these, while at Target to pick up a new coffee maker this past weekend. I was lucky, in that no one had taken much interest in the one in stock, and got one each of grid, plain, and lined - all nice and straight with no dog-eared corners.

I like the irregular look of the paper, and even the boxes in the corners (for a date or a title, I guess) are kind of a nice touch. But honestly, I bought these with the full expectation that the paper would feather like crazy and that I'd only be able to use them with pencil or gel pens. I haven't actually written anything in these yet, and after reading your review I'm hopeful that the paper might work for some of my wetter pens that seem to feather so badly on most of the paper I use.

P.S. - I can no longer hear (or even think) the word 'banana' without thinking of

featuring the minions from Despicable Me. Edited by FooWriter

http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/148/mikesignh6.gif

"A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral." –Antoine de Saint Exupéry

can one eat it too? ;)

I think it would be filled with fiber and not too tasty, perhaps with peanut butter? Now that I've watched the linked to Despicable Me short I want to walk around the house saying banana in slowmo.

I meant to mention these as well. They really are supurb. I tend to "prep" the page before writing by running a ruler or other handy straight, hard item across the paper lightly three or five times. I have had a few bits fleck off while writing, but nothing stuck in the tines of my nib. I highly recommend this paper, especially for the price!