Noodlers Flex December 25Th Review

ru32day

Review: Noodler Flex nib (December 25th model) “Flex Dec 25”

Here’s my first review for FPN. I have a number of reviews planned and have in my head some things I’d like to cover that are not in the standard template. For the sake of consistency, that stuff will be at the end.

Like many other FPNers, I couldn’t wait to try out a reasonably priced (OK let’s be frank, cheap) flex pen. In the coming weeks when some more goodies arrive I’ll compare its performance to both a vintage and a modern flex pen. In the meantime, please read this review in the context that I have no “standard” against which to compare the “Flex Dec 25”.

Appearance & Design (6.5) – Cheap feel but has some neat tricks inside. More cute than class.

The “Flex Dec 25” strikes me as very small and light. The pen is red with green marbling, which looks more black on my model. The clip and ring are silver coloured with “Noodlers Ink” written on the clip. The nib is steel and seems in proportion to the pen and the feed has plenty of channels for flow.

I find the overall effect quite sophisticated and my fear that it would look like cheap Xmas tat was unfounded. However, the pen is very small and feels unsubstantial in the hand and the finish is patchy, so I wouldn’t say this FP pen oozes class.

Pictured next to a Safari (for scale)

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff508/ru32day/Fountain%20Pen%20Network/N25Dec_Safari.png

Basic appearance and feel (5 points).

The nib flexes! (+1 point for design).

It’s a piston filler (+ ½ point for design) I’m happy with any ink delivery system so long as it works, but it’s a nice touch to incorporate a piston filler at this price point. The piston on my “Flex Dec 25” is quite stiff and feels to me like one turn too many may see its demise.

Construction & Quality (6) – Built to a price

The good: The plastic isn’t overly tackily shiny if you know what I mean and the tip of the cap feels quite nice and rounded. It could look and feel a lot worse at this price point.

The bad: Very rough around the bottom of the cap ring. Clip spins around the pen. Noticable hole in the cap (maybe from moulding) that should have been filled or hidden under the clip.

Weight & Dimensions (4) - Insubstantial

Noodler Flex Dec 25 [Posted]

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff508/ru32day/Fountain%20Pen%20Network/N25Dec_Posted.png

Noodler Flex Dec 25 [unposted]

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff508/ru32day/Fountain%20Pen%20Network/N25Dec_Uncap.png

My Measurements (cheap tape measure probably not 100% accurate)

Capped 13.2cm (5.2 inches)

Posted 14cm (5.5 inches)

Unposted 11.8cm (4.6 inches)

Diameter 12.7mm (0.5 inches)

Weight (almost full of ink)

Nib & Performance (7) – Generally more enthusiastic than well behaved. Needs a firm hand

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff508/ru32day/Fountain%20Pen%20Network/N25Dec_Nib.png

A very fine steel nib with an upturned nose for added smoothness … and it flexes. Zooming in on the photograph (also waiting for a loupe in the mail ) the tines look to be aligned.

With no flex, the nib writes a very very fine dry line. In this state I would say it was toothy but not scratchy.

With slight to moderate pressure there is definite line variation but much less than I was expecting and I find it still on the dry side. Even so, care is required to avoid blots (see title in the written sample where I forgot to go slowly).

I have to put a fair bit of oomph into my stroke to get the ink flow, shading and line variation that I would expect from a flex FP.

I’ve tried fiddling with the nib position, but mostly ended up with ink burps and not much better line variation if I tried to have the nib out any further than it was at delivery.

On the one hand I’m happy to have such a cheap flex nib – if nothing else it can be used to show off the capabilities of “dodgy but beautiful” inks that I’ve avoided buying up to now. On the other hand I was really looking forward to a “zen” communion with pen and paper, rather than a workout at the gym.

Filling System & Maintenance (5) - Piston filler

(See comments under appearance and design) It works now but doesn’t feel like it will still work in a year’s time.

Cost & Value (9) – A flex pen with a piston filler for less than $15.

It delivers more functionality than any other FP anywhere near its price point.

Conclusion (6.25)

If you don’t give a flying fig for flex, there’s no compelling reason for you to buy this FP.

Despite its price, it’s not the sort of thing that you would give away for FP evangelism. Its virtues would not be noticed above its aggravations in that scenario.

If you already have a good flex pen and don’t have any inks that you’re afraid to use in it, then this pen is probably not for you – but then why would you be buying a $15 plastic FP!

If you want to try your hand at flex without spending a fortune on vintage pens or custom nib grinding, or you want to use any ink you like without fear of its melting your vintage pride and joy, this FP will do the job (if not always elegantly) and at a price that you can’t pass up.

This FP does deliver the promise of handwriting that reflects beautiful flex character, but not without some difficulty.

Background

I purchased this FP via the internet from Todd Nussbaum (isellpens.com). The site was easy to navigate and the purchasing process was straightforward, with click through to paypal (my preferred payment option) well integrated.

I initially paid a standard shipping fee (to Australia) of $35. Less than 24 hours later, Todd had shipped the item and refunded $22 as he was able to ship it for lower cost. He sent me a nice eMail advising the tracking number (mind you, USPS tracking service still says the item is in Arizona!) and thanking me for my business.

The FP arrived at my door nine days later, even though Christmas intervened … Fantastic!

The parcel was very well secured but I was too excited to undo the tape and get the box open properly and tore it open like a madwoman. Inside the outer mailing carton, the pen was in a plastic sleeve inside the Noodlers cardboard box, with the remainder of the outer carton being filled with bubble wrap. On the packing slip, there was a short hand-written note from Todd – a nice touch, especially considering that he’s not going to retire on the strength of this purchase!

I flushed the pen with tap water a few times and went out while nib end soaked in water for a few hours. I knew I wouldn’t be able to stop myself from inking it if I stayed it home! As soon as I got home I flushed the pen out again and filled it with the brightest “safe” ink I had on hand as I didn’t want my first impressions to be coloured by the characteristics of the ink.

The FP wrote immediately without incident although, as I say in the review, the pressure required for good flex took me by surprise. I persevered, following Caliken’s advice to point the nib in the direction of the stroke for best flex, fiddling with the nib to try and improve the flow and dying my fingers green in the process.

In the end, although my fingers are covered in ink and I’m a bit disappointed that this FP is not easier to write with, I’m very happy with my purchase. I don’t see this FP becoming a mainstay for me, but it will be great to have on hand when I want to write something with that unmistakable flex appearance, using an ink that I might be reluctant to put in a more expensive FP. At the very least it will keep me occupied until the modern and vintage flex pens that I’ve ordered arrive!

Writing Sample:

The usual disclaimers about quality of handwriting apply! I apologize for cutting off part of the title - I'm old and blind and didn't notice that I was writing over the perforations. I'll do better next time.

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff508/ru32day/Fountain%20Pen%20Network/N25Dec_Sample-1.png

Edited by ru32day

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• watch_art

• Senate1123

• SlipyNaricis2112

• lefty928

Great review! :clap1:

However, I still feel this $15 plastic pen has some merit as a daily writer. I have a few nicer pens that are built better, flex easier, prettier, etc., but I do not want to damage or lose them. I agree that this is probably not the pen to gift someone as an introduction to FPs. It probably will generate an "ehh" feeling since the reciever won't know what to do with a flex nib.

I've also noticed a difference in flexibility between the Noodler's flex nibs. The one I have in my Demo version is a whole lot stiffer than my Christmas version. The Christmas version is very very nice. Your writing sample appears to exhibit the same characteristics as my stiffer Demo version.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Great review! :clap1:

However, I still feel this $15 plastic pen has some merit as a daily writer. I have a few nicer pens that are built better, flex easier, prettier, etc., but I do not want to damage or lose them. I agree that this is probably not the pen to gift someone as an introduction to FPs. It probably will generate an "ehh" feeling since the reciever won't know what to do with a flex nib.

I've also noticed a difference in flexibility between the Noodler's flex nibs. The one I have in my Demo version is a whole lot stiffer than my Christmas version. The Christmas version is very very nice. Your writing sample appears to exhibit the same characteristics as my stiffer Demo version.

show us samples of both then. i'm very interested to see the differences.

http://gallery.me.com/george.y.ku/100197/My%20Photo

Here's a quick comparison between the two. I put a lot more pressure on the Demo Pen than I did the Christmas version. Take note of the second pic where you can see how much I "carved" into the papper. No complaints about either, really. The Demo definitely does write a finer line without pressure though.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

For the short while that I had it, this little pen was pretty nifty. That said, also very short lived. The piston filler has completely died, for what reason, I do not know. Though it may just be the cheap quality of the pen. Attached is something a very good friend of mine wrote and I rewrote it with this pen (forgive the "anges" it was done rather hastily. It is my first flex pen so go easy haha. The ink is Baystate Blue, which I filled only about 1/8 of the pen with for obvious reasons.

For the price, I may get another, but use it much more sparingly.

*Edit* With a great thank you to watch_art, the pen is now back in working order. In summation on this pen, there is really no reason not to buy it. It's cheap, and even if you don't find flex as addictive as myself, you can at least say you have one.

post-49817-0-47209800-1293742998.jpg

Edited by SlipyNaricis2112

very pretty.

wonder why your pen died? i bet you could return it for another.

you should try.

I would but it's so cheap, you know haha? I can spare 15 bucks and not write it to death like I did with my current one.

apparently the rod let go from inside the sleeve.

he did this and apparently fixed it.

YAAAYY!!

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5203/5307261219_ac003be6e2_b.jpg

Thanks for the review.

It's a fun pen. But I'm not comfortable calling mine a flex nib. More like semi-flex. Or maybe even semi-semi-flex. It takes a bit of determination to get some flex out of it. (Maybe I just have a light touch?)

• 4 years later...

Hi there, after reading this review. I was wondering if we are talking about the same pen.

I have one that has not been inked but only dipped. It is full-size 5 1/2" with cap on. Dark green with some red marbling going through it. The nib I would say is a fine semi-flex.

I don't get the feeling its cheap at all. The clip does not spin around as you mentioned and the edge of the cap is smooth.

Was there different models of the Christmas 25? I don't know. They come with a nice noodler box and are very presentable. I will be putting mine up on eBay this week probably. Here are some pictures to compare with yours.

Jerry

post-114026-0-86145200-1437244177_thumb.jpg

post-114026-0-04215100-1437244179_thumb.jpg

post-114026-0-04540900-1437244180_thumb.jpg

post-114026-0-13671300-1437244181_thumb.jpg

@consmkts,the pen in this review is a Noodler's Nip Creaper; yours is a Noodler's Ahab. The Ahab is a somewhat larger pen. 25th December denotes the colour of the acrylic from which the pen was made - and yes, it looks like that is different too!

Edited by Jamerelbe