Esterbrook J, Made With Celluloid?

ximhot

While I was working on the first project of sanding and buffing my Esterbrook J, a very distinct camphor smell came to my attention. Is the material for J celluloid? If the smell doesn't lie, then my red J is made with celluloid with no doubt. Any expert here can solve the mystery? The red J I was working on appeared to be older but has the regular jewels and clip, not the earlier uncommon models.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ximhot

• watchin

• koa

• Gobblecup

Top Posters In This Topic

While I was working on the first project of sanding and buffing my Esterbrook J, a very distinct camphor smell came to my attention. Is the material for J celluloid? If the smell doesn't lie, then my red J is made with celluloid with no doubt. Any expert here can solve the mystery? The red J I was working on appeared to be older but has the regular jewels and clip, not the earlier uncommon models.

Are you pretty good at sniffing out old celluloid? I tried to teach the last dog I had to find Esties that might be hidden but he couldn't catch on. I am looking for someone with that particular talent. I bet that pen shows really have an attraction for you.

(All kidding aside, celluloid does have a unique smell when sanding, but it isn't good in your lungs).

Also, notice the difference when you are sanding and smoothing a black hard rubber section...talk about old tires.

:roflmho:

-William-

I found the answer. Yes, the J series are made with the most durable Celluloid! :thumbup:

Not only the most durable, but the most precious!! (not boring at all, I can spend hours staring into the depths of my red J!) Mmmm, precious celluloid! :puddle:

"... for even though the multitude may be utterly deceived, subsequently it usually hates those who have led it to do anything improper." Aristotle, Athenian Constitution, XXVIII:3 Loeb Edition

I found the answer. Yes, the J series are made with the most durable Celluloid! :thumbup:

Not only the most durable, but the most precious!! (not boring at all, I can spend hours staring into the depths of my red J!) Mmmm, precious celluloid! :puddle:

I agree that the pens are most fascinating. I think the more you look into them the more fascinating they become. I would advise against too many hours into just the one color, however. It could distort your world view on just how diverse our lives really are.

On a cautionary note: If you notice that sometimes the pen seems to have depth and different layers in that depth and you ever notice that those layers are moving or changing...put the pen down and look away for a few moments. :rolleyes:

-William-

I agree that the pens are most fascinating. I think the more you look into them the more fascinating they become. I would advise against too many hours into just the one color, however. It could distort your world view on just how diverse our lives really are.

-William-

Oh, great! Now I will have to acquire celluloid Esties of different colors! But then, it is not like that this was not inevitable in any case. Just waiting for the prices to fall. :happyberet:

"... for even though the multitude may be utterly deceived, subsequently it usually hates those who have led it to do anything improper." Aristotle, Athenian Constitution, XXVIII:3 Loeb Edition

-William-

Oh, great! Now I will have to acquire celluloid Esties of different colors! But then, it is not like that this was not inevitable in any case. Just waiting for the prices to fall. :happyberet:

Koa,

Its nice to see others stare at the Esties for undisclosed amounts of time! :drool: :cloud9:

Gobblecup ~

Back in the late 1940s very few people had TV (but they had color Esties). I would say it was more the advent of Television than the proliferation of cheap ballpoints that led to the decline in popularity of the Esterbrook pens. Oh, and the introduction of pastel Esties. I doubt that anyone stares into a pastel purse pen for very long. There isn't anyone I know that can tell me the Grey Estie doesn't look like ocean clouds coming in on a stormy day. :happyberet:

-William-

http://www.penpedia.com/w/index.php?title=Esterbrook_J_Family

I don't want to rain on everyone's parade, but I'm unconvinced. The link you posted only says that the earliest Js are made of celluloid, and none of the ones I have owned (all later double jewel models) have looked, felt, or smelled like they were celluloid.

Double jewel models were made in the 1950s, well after the vast majority of American pen companies had stopped using the material, so I really doubt they are.

Mine is a double jewel and I never thought it was made with celluloid but I was wrong. I do have other colors (green, blue, and black) but they are in mint condition so I don't want to put sandpaper on them. Anybody who happens to need some sanding and buffing to do the experiment?

You are right. I just use the sandpaper to remove scratches. I use cotton buffing wheels and car polishing paste to finish the job.

Back in the late 1940s very few people had TV (but they had color Esties). I would say it was more the advent of Television than the proliferation of cheap ballpoints that led to the decline in popularity of the Esterbrook pens. Oh, and the introduction of pastel Esties. I doubt that anyone stares into a pastel purse pen for very long. There isn't anyone I know that can tell me the Grey Estie doesn't look like ocean clouds coming in on a stormy day. :happyberet:

-William-

Perhaps not into ONE pastel, but a whole series could make you see a heavenly rainbow ...

swisspenpal

I have 'stared' into some pastels when in the process of replacing J bars. I certainly wasn't trying to be disparaging about the beautiful pastel pens. Much of their beauty is in the fact that they are so rare...and anything rarely seen catches ones eye. Is your avatar a picture of some of your pastels?

-William-

I have a transitional J, and it doesn't smell like camphor to me. Maybe it is cellulose acetate?

Soli Deo Gloria!

Void your warranty, violate a user agreement, fry a circuit, blow a fuse, poke an eye out!

I have 'stared' into some pastels when in the process of replacing J bars. I certainly wasn't trying to be disparaging about the beautiful pastel pens. Much of their beauty is in the fact that they are so rare...and anything rarely seen catches ones eye. Is your avatar a picture of some of your pastels?

-William-

Hi William,

My Avatar is a distorted view of what I believe to be my recently completed series of the late Pastels. I became a real 'Pastelophil' in the process of grabbing them together :wub::cloud9::wub:.

swisspenpal