Edison Mina

Okami

The New Edison Minas

Disclaimer: I have not been compensated for this review and am not related to Brian Gray or the Edison Pen Company. These pens are owned by the Edison Pen Company. I have been offered the opportunity to buy one or both of the pens, which are the subject of this review, at a discounted price.

[You can click on any of the photos to enlarge for more detail]

When I attended the NYC Pen Show back in October I had the great pleasure of meeting Brian Gray, of Edison Pen Company, and his lovely wife, Andrea (they are two of the nicest people you will ever meet).

While I was there, Brian gave me a sneak preview of the new model that he was working on and asked me if I would be interested in testing and reviewing it on my blog. I am honored that he thinks a review here at WHATEVER is worthy of his beautiful pens.

Brian introduced the new Mina models on November 30 on Goulet Pens Write Time. He also showed me a photo of the new overlay pen that he's planning (I can't wait to see that pen in real life).

Last week the Mina's for review arrived on my doorstep and I have been carrying and using them for the past week, so as to get a real feel for the pens. Brian was extremely generous and provided me with one of each of the new Mina models, the standard Mina in Cappuccino Flake acrylic and the extended Mina in Black Acrylic.

These are extremely elegant pens. The first thing you will notice is that these pens have no clip. I honestly am not sure if the will ever be available with a clip as the tapering toward the center of the pen would not be particularly conducive to a clip.

The other thing I want to point out, if you are someone who absolutely MUST post the cap on their pens, you will not like this model. It simply cannot post. The opening of the cap is smaller than the end, posting is not possible.

Now, my two cents worth. First, I'm not a big fan of pocket clips so the fact that this pen has no clip does not bother me. I like the clean elegant lines that are provided by a pen without the clip, especially on Brian's pens. Second, I NEVER post. This is a carryover from shorthand class, where I was taught that the cap on the end of the pen disturbed the balance and so posting was a no-no. So another non issue for me.

The next two photos will give you some size perspective.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_dcGUM5wwl2A/TRZ55JmTUmI/AAAAAAAACCA/4qQHThrYaC8/s400/IMG_2630.JPGFrom top to bottom: Visconti HomoSapiens, Edison Mina extended, Edison Huron bulb fillerhttp://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dcGUM5wwl2A/TRZ58t7Qm4I/AAAAAAAACCI/Q0dVHLkLJGg/s400/IMG_2633.JPGFrom top to bottom: Lamy Safari, Edison Mina standard, Pelikan M200

Although a much slimmer pen, the Edison Mina extended is by no means a small pen, measuring 5-7/8" capped, while the Mina standard measures 5-1/8" capped. Both of these pens provided extremely comfortable writing experiences and I was able to write with them for extended periods with no issues.

Brian provided two distinctly different writing experiences with these pens also. The extended Mina featured a monster 1.9mm italic calligraphy nib.

This is definitely a specialty nib and not an everyday writer. Now, if you are not familiar with the way that Brian produces his pens, these nibs are completely interchangeable by simply screwing one nib out and a new one in, pretty much like a Pelikan or an Esterbrook. This is just another wonderful feature of Brian's pens.

The standard Mina came with a beautiful 18k F nib. Easily usable for everyday.

The Mina is an extremely worthy addition to the Edison line up and a great option for the writer who wants a fine custom pen with a smaller girth. Don't forget that Brian makes these pens for you personally, so you pick your material, nib, etc and can even watch your pen being born (I have a video of my Huron's birth).

Edited by Okami

"There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face." ~ Ben Williams

My social media sites Via Gravatar

Join Pen Collectors of America

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• watch_art

• Okami

• jimhughes

• Brian C

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great review..Thank you!

It took a moment to capture the Shape.. ! intriguing - I look forward to the opportunity to hold this pen - how a pen feels in the hand is #1 to me..

Comes in two sizes! the photo comparisons Pelikan/Safari/Visconti detail that This pen may be The Edison.. which continues rock-solid on my very short wish list. 18K nib finepoint! ooh!

that squeaky sound emanating from MI is me budgeting-hurry November Ohio Show : )

Thanks for this review. The size comparison photos are particularly helpful.

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

I saw the videos on Brian's website, and I gotta say, the size is deceiving. In the vids they both look TINY. In your pics, next to some other pens, they both actually look like pretty good sized pens. Not nearly as small as in the video...

looks like a barbell, but i like. very tempting, indeed. i was hoping these would look more uniform (?)... i'm only hesitant because i'm not so sure i'll like how it's kinda conical at each end :/ i post a lot too

This was the first ever "gotta have one" pen for me. Even dusted off the old credit card for it. Can't explain why i'm so drawn to it. Just am.

Dizzypen brought the Minas to Pen Posse last week, so we all got the chance to oogle and handle them.

I love the design, but watch_art is right; they are bigger than I expected. (I was expecting a much slimmer barrel overall.) That said, they are very comfortable to hold and write with, also visually very appealing.

Thanks for including the size comparisons, Julie!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

well, i'm not trying to say they're too big. just watching the vid, i was thinking that they'd be too small. almost silly small. but looking at the pics, they look great.

The pens really are wonderful - the sizing is perfect IMHO - when I saw the extended next to the Huron and the HomoSapiens I was actually shocked - to me these are BIG pens and the Mina just did not seem that big. I think that is because the pen is so slender. All that being said, both pens were a joy to write with, very comfortable.

jniforat - I would suggest that you look at all the different photos of this pen on Brian's website and see if that helps you decide whether or not you like the design: http://edisonpen.com/page.cfm/Mina-Main-Page

If anyone has questions I might be able to answer don't hesitate to PM - I'm sure Brian would be happy to answer questions also.

Julie

"There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face." ~ Ben Williams

Very nice use of photos for demonstration of the relative sizes of the pens.

Thanks,

gary

p.s. - which ink is your avatar using?

I think he probably got the PR Buttercup out for that photo laugh.gif

Julie:

Thank you for this wonderful review and comparison photos. Brian makes such great pens. I'm an early adapter on this new item. I ordered one in Burgundy, black swirl seceral weeks ago. I, too, am not a poster, can live w/o a clip and love short pens.

My other 2 Edisons have duotone nibs. This time I'm trying an XF Steel nib. You're review has me champin at the bit for mine to arrive in mid January. Joshua, I'll bring it to the ABQ meeting in January, if it's in by then. You can check it out in the flesh then. If it's anything like my HennyPenny Especial it will be perfectly balanced unposted. Henny's, pocket pen design, is much shorter than 5.125" of the smaller Mina. I think this will be similar to my clipless Sheaffer Tuckie you tried previously. Jim

• 4 weeks later...

I was delighted to find an Edison Mina in the mailbox today when I came home from work. Brian asked that I post my thoughts on the pen, and I am happy to do so, first saying that I purchased this pen as a retail customer and have no special connection to Edison Pens.

The pen comes in an attractive faux alligator or lizard (not sure) covered case with Edison logo printed on the satin liner. The pen itself is lovely. I very much like the feel of it. I ordered my Mina in dark tortoise celluloid, which is a $40 upcharge over other materials. The pen is turned from a rod, and thus has no seams. It can be filled with an eyedropper, if you grease the threads with silicone first. I am using the supplied converter instead for now; a high quality unit from Schmidt. For full disclosure, I'll add that my cap has a tiny rounded indentation, 0.5 mm across that appears to be in the base material and not a lathe accident in the shop. It doesn't bother me at all, in fact serves to identify the "Cuz" Mina, should my effects someday have any value at auction after my return from a Mars mission or something else particularly notable. Brian states in the letter that came with the pen, "If you ever get a scratch, I'll be happy to buff the pen free of charge."

In addition to the material spec, I also ordered mine with an 18K nib (steel is standard on Edison pens). These are size 5 units (a size smaller than what you see on other Edisons and a host of Bock-using brands like Bexley, Stipula, Delta, and others) I haven't asked Brian if Bock also makes this nib. It wouldn't surprise me. The nib is all yellow and is smooth as silk to write with, Flow is good and feedback from the paper is excellent. The tip feels soft, but the nib is firm lacking any flex whatsoever. Ink flow (Private Reserve Blue Suede) is even and correct. Not wet, not dry. Just right. Brian makes sure all his pens write properly before they ship, and this one was no exception. I needed to do nothing to this nib at all other than put it to paper and use it.

The narrow gripping section suits smaller hands, necking down to just 8 mm diameter behind the nib. The barrel end tapers out away from the section joint to13mm (a tad slimmer than the cap which also tapers away - 15 mm - from the barrel joint and gives the Mina its distinctive minimalist sense of elegant oriental form) The wider barrel end sets comfortably in the crook of the hand and stays in proper position when writing. It is an easy pen to hold. The cap does not post. It also won't roll off the table, as with a cone shape, it will roll in a circle. The capped pen WILL roll off a table however, so be careful.

I wrote a page of a letter with it tonight, and will store it upright in a Levenger pen box and see if there is any nib dry out tomorrow. The Mina is a clipless pen and a good candidate for a pen pillow such as Nakaya has been making and Edison now also makes, although the two designs differ. The pen does fine in my shirt pocket, and I wouldn't hesitate to carry it there, although, bending over to pick a low lying object up is not recommended with a Mina in one's pocket! And in case you missed them before, here are the pictures of my pen.

post-2987-0-44486900-1295664980.jpg

post-2987-0-34948600-1295664961.jpg

I was delighted to find an Edison Mina in the mailbox today when I came home from work. Brian asked that I post my thoughts on the pen, and I am happy to do so, first saying that I purchased this pen as a retail customer and have no special connection to Edison Pens.

<snip>

Nick - The dark tortoise celluloid of your Mina is gorgeous! Hope you enjoy it for a long time to come.

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August

...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

What Nick said raised to 10 to the sixth power. Mine too, was left by the postal lady as I was out running errands. Nick said things too beautifully for me to try an improve on it any. I chose a steel nib in XF. Perfect thin wet line as I like. I have 2 other Edisons with gold nibs so I decided to try a steel one this time. I, too, have no affiliation with Edison pens other than as a very satisfied customer. My other Edison is a custom Flat Top, Brian was pleased to make for me, although it wasn't a standard design in his line. The second Edison is the famous HennyPenny design of a purse/pocket pen. I'll see if my photo allocation will allow them to be addd to this note. Thank you Brian, another perfect pen, Jim

Edited: The Henny Penny Pen is aka the Gem. All photos done by Brian Gray at Edison Pens

post-17575-0-82871400-1295667759.jpg

post-17575-0-71937900-1295667780.jpg

post-17575-0-42119000-1295667799.jpg

post-17575-0-72050800-1295667818.jpg

post-17575-0-55314200-1295667838.jpg

post-17575-0-83591400-1295667857.jpg

Edited by jimhughes

Nick! Gorgeous pen! You should post this in the reviews section, too, so more people can see it.

And I bet you don't have any dryout. I've never had any with mine.

What Nick said raised to 10 to the sixth power. .... I have 2 other Edisons with gold nibs so I decided to try a steel one this time. ... I'll see if my photo allocation will allow them to be addd to this note. Thank you Brian, another perfect pen, Jim

Edited: The Henny Penny Pen is aka the Gem. All photos done by Brian Gray at Edison Pens

Jim: very nice pens!! I bet they write well too. Happy writing!!

NT

The pen comes in an attractive faux alligator or lizard (not sure) covered case with Edison logo printed on the satin liner. The pen itself is lovely. I very much like the feel of it. I ordered my Mina in dark tortoise celluloid, which is a $40 upcharge over other materials. The pen is turned from a rod, and thus has no seams. It can be filled with an eyedropper, if you grease the threads with silicone first. I am using the supplied converter instead for now; a high quality unit from Schmidt. For full disclosure, I'll add that my cap has a tiny rounded indentation, 0.5 mm across that appears to be in the base material and not a lathe accident in the shop. It doesn't bother me at all, in fact serves to identify the "Cuz" Mina, should my effects someday have any value at auction after my return from a Mars mission or something else particularly notable. Brian states in the letter that came with the pen, "If you ever get a scratch, I'll be happy to buff the pen free of charge."

In addition to the material spec, I also ordered mine with an 18K nib (steel is standard on Edison pens). These are size 5 units (a size smaller than what you see on other Edisons and a host of Bock-using brands like Bexley, Stipula, Delta, and others) I haven't asked Brian if Bock also makes this nib. It wouldn't surprise me. The nib is all yellow and is smooth as silk to write with, Flow is good and feedback from the paper is excellent. The tip feels soft, but the nib is firm lacking any flex whatsoever. Ink flow (Private Reserve Blue Suede) is even and correct. Not wet, not dry. Just right. Brian makes sure all his pens write properly before they ship, and this one was no exception. I needed to do nothing to this nib at all other than put it to paper and use it.

The narrow gripping section suits smaller hands, necking down to just 8 mm diameter behind the nib. The barrel end tapers out away from the section joint to13mm (a tad slimmer than the cap which also tapers away - 15 mm - from the barrel joint and gives the Mina its distinctive minimalist sense of elegant oriental form) The wider barrel end sets comfortably in the crook of the hand and stays in proper position when writing. It is an easy pen to hold. The cap does not post. It also won't roll off the table, as with a cone shape, it will roll in a circle. The capped pen WILL roll off a table however, so be careful.

I wrote a page of a letter with it tonight, and will store it upright in a Levenger pen box and see if there is any nib dry out tomorrow. The Mina is a clipless pen and a good candidate for a pen pillow such as Nakaya has been making and Edison now also makes, although the two designs differ. The pen does fine in my shirt pocket, and I wouldn't hesitate to carry it there, although, bending over to pick a low lying object up is not recommended with a Mina in one's pocket! And in case you missed them before, here are the pictures of my pen.

post-2987-0-44486900-1295664980.jpg

Brian told me that he used JoWo nibs.