Parker Vector Review

fiberdrunk

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5210/5288510188_c13f6cbd97_z.jpg

I specifically bought the Parker Vector because I read on this forum that it was a wet writer and excellent for iron gall inks. I can confirm this is true. I'm very pleased with this little writer. A good, sturdy, inexpensive pen.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5206/5287961511_980579327b_z.jpg

The Parker Vector nibs are interchangeable with an old Parker Calligraphy Pen set I bought years ago. They look identical, in fact. I have left an ink cartridge in one for years, and despite my neglect, it still wrote fine when I picked it up.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5287/5287963407_071423467e_z.jpg

A small-volume ink converter-- my only complaint with this pen. If something were to happen with this pen, I would definitely replace it with the same. I couldn't be happier with how well it handles iron gall ink, or quink cartridges for that matter.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5248/5288590556_f0067f4e86_b.jpg

Edited by fiberdrunk

Find my homemade ink recipes on my Flickr page here.

"I don't wait for inspiration; inspiration waits for me." --Akiane Kramarik

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fiberdrunk

• P.E.N.S

• Dillo

• hari317

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the review, I have used a few vectors over the years and had an impression that their flow was a bit on the dry side. I must buy one and dedicate it to IG inks.

The Chesterfield seems to have a nice shade, does it dry dark black?

Best,

hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Fiberdrunk, are you a lost twin of mine? Yesterday you reviewed my Rotring Surf and today you review my first fountain pen (not counting the Sheaffer school pen in 4th grade that is made a mess with). Vectors are great cheap pens. Maybe I will have to get some of that J Herbin vintage Iron Gall ink to try in my Parker 88. Someone once said it is just a Vector decked out for a night on the town. Thank you for a great review.

And Merry Christmas.

Edited by rcarlisle

He came down from heaven and was made man.

fpn_1305512260__inkdroplogofpn.jpg member since May 15th, 2011

Thanks for the review, I have used a few vectors over the years and had an impression that their flow was a bit on the dry side. I must buy one and dedicate it to IG inks.

The Chesterfield seems to have a nice shade, does it dry dark black?

Best,

hari

I checked the writing samples today, and they have darkened to a dark blue on some papers, and almost black on others. Paper seems to be a factor in how/when this ink transforms. On some graph paper, it remained a light blue.

Fiberdrunk, are you a lost twin of mine? Yesterday you reviewed my Rotring Surf and today you review my first fountain pen (not counting the Sheaffer school pen in 4th grade that is made a mess with). Vectors are great cheap pens. Maybe I will have to get some of that J Herbin vintage Iron Gall ink to try in my Parker 88. Someone once said it is just a Vector decked out for a night on the town. Thank you for a great review.

And Merry Christmas.

Glad to meet someone else who likes cheap fountain pens! I didn't realize J. Herbin had ever made an iron gall ink (I seem to be on a quest to eventually try them all, lol.) I'll have to check the reviews of the Parker 88. The Vector has made me a fan of this pen maker. If they can make a high quality inexpensive pen, I would expect to be utterly wowed by their more expensive ones.

Merry Christmas (and I love that you said it!)

Brian Goulet has the J Hebin Iron Gall Ink for sale. It comes in a gorgeous bottle and the reviews have been favorable. It's supposed to be in honor of their 350th anniversary.

He came down from heaven and was made man.

fpn_1305512260__inkdroplogofpn.jpg member since May 15th, 2011

Brian Goulet has the J Hebin Iron Gall Ink for sale. It comes in a gorgeous bottle and the reviews have been favorable. It's supposed to be in honor of their 350th anniversary.

Awesome! Thanks for the heads up!

i have used vectors and found them to be fairly reliable pens. for the price they are quite good and as i write this i have a much used flighter type vector in my desk, which is on reserve nowadays. will ink it once again after some years when i get bored with my current fp. some vectors are at home too.

i have had to change converters after prolonged use and the SS nibs wear out after years. the vector will become a wet writer with use, which also depends on the ink that you put in it.

enjoy your pen and tks for the review.

rgds.

krishna.

ladies and gentlemen write with fountain pens only.

Awesome! Thanks for the heads up!

Hi, i just tried to check Goulet's site but they are closed for the holidays, I noticed the "Encre Authentique" ink at the Herbin website: link, however Herbin recommends against using these speciality inks in FPs.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Although I don't have a vector, I have used some and I must say, they certainly are wet writers. I also believe that the Parker Rialto is a decorated Vector? Perhaps I should do a review on mine, since it was my first FP :)

And I never realized you could use parker calligraphy nibs on a Vector! I should try that next time I get my hands on a vector since I lost the pen a long time ago :(

Edited by WontonST

-WontonST

www.sanjosecalligraphy.com

www.wontonst.info

Thx for the review. I have a couple of Vectors and can vouch for their reliability. I wouldn't have called them wet writers, though.

Thx for the review. I have a couple of Vectors and can vouch for their reliability. I wouldn't have called them wet writers, though.

It's possible. I've never tried any other bottled ink in this pen before. But it seems to be a great match for iron gall ink. This is going to be my designated iron gall pen from now on.

That J. Herbin 1670 ink is not iron gall... It's an earthy red colour meant to replicate the colour of wax used in old seals. Apparently, the ink also contains some gold that only shows up in certain nib and paper combinations. Really an intriguing concept... a red ink that's safe in fountain pens with a golden shimmer.

The above shall not be construed as legal advice under any circumstances

That J. Herbin 1670 ink is not iron gall... It's an earthy red colour meant to replicate the colour of wax used in old seals. Apparently, the ink also contains some gold that only shows up in certain nib and paper combinations. Really an intriguing concept... a red ink that's safe in fountain pens with a golden shimmer.

So, is the J. Herbin Encre Authentique ink their iron gall ink? I assume that's it. They mentioned it could last 300 years on their website.

So, is the J. Herbin Encre Authentique ink their iron gall ink? I assume that's it. They mentioned it could last 300 years on their website.

it is IG, but not recommended for FPs as per J Herbin

it is IG, but not recommended for FPs as per J Herbin

Oh, ok. Thanks!

The Vector was my first fountain pen and i now have 5 of them, 2 black, 1 blue and 2 others with coloured patterns. They all have medium nibs and i have found the one I've owned for longest is more worn and has a slightly flatter point than the others so it writes with a thicker line. Also the cap is a bit looser and does not need as much force to put on or take off. However they are sturdy as I'd got it at the age of about 8 and was not very gentle with my pens so it's been through a lot and still works fine.

Edited by cz100

Waterman Elegance & Hemisphere; Sheaffer Prelude & Agio; Cross Townsend, Sauvage, Sentiment, Spire; Parker Urban & Frontier; The list keeps growing, now have 40 and counting.

A teenager who like fountain pens. This is the only place I can talk about them without getting weird looks.

Great review,fiberdrunk. I have a Vector too(flighter, M nib), and i´m happy with its performance.

Feliz 2011 !!!

Very good review. Thank you.

I agree that Vectors are good, durable writers. I have a couple that have served me well, but I do not use them frequently. For me the pens are quite narrow, and the metal section is bothersome. But, those are my eccentricities.